Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I make river flow along canyon?

How do I make river flow along canyon?

Well, I have been idle in LW for some time, but since retiring I'm getting back into it. I was never very proficient, but enjoy it. Years ago I asked this same question, but can't find the answer/tutorial, so here goes. I'm using LW2018.
    I have created an object of a canyon with a river flowing through it and would like the flow of the water to be in the direction the river is heading and terminating into a secluded pond. I'm not very good with nodes, but willing to learn.
    Any ideas how I can make this work? I've posted a picture of the image.

Thanks all, appreciate you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiverPic.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	149042  

No takers? I thought this is where the experts resided ��

Hi

Make your river straight then texture with moving texture, displacement, or procedural , bend with bones into place.

The way ive done it, in a pinch.

Kevin

your average lightwaver gpdesigner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcoman View Post
    Well, I have been idle in LW for some time, but since retiring I'm getting back into it.
    This is totally my plan, retire with the latest version of LW . . . lol
    at least I know I am not alone.
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro 5,1 6-Core 3.46 5690 Intel Xeon and MacPro 2,1 2x Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram

Quote Originally Posted by SpacialKatana View Post
    No takers? I thought this is where the experts resided ��
    more quite these days, but check >
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-flowing-river

and prometheus... go to bed!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    more quite these days, but check >
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-flowing-river

and prometheus... go to bed!
    No sorry erikals, at this moment in time, you donīt get to order me that ...since
    I actually have turned the dayrythm around a bit now, which means I actually got up at around 4 a clock in the morning, I am just a bit over 2 hours earlier than a " normal go up early" rythm, so I have been going to bed early evening the last days...so I am almost on track, and now I could see the sun in the morning..if only the wether allowed, which it doesnīt..grey fog and mist all day this week.

if only the weather allowed, which it doesn't..grey fog and mist all day this week.
    looks like we often have the same forecast... here too...

typical November.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

looks like we often have the same forecast... here too...

typical November.
    Yes ..almost typical november, at least with just grey cover and moisty, colder..but itīs not that stone cold..currently 7 degree celsius plus, I think it often is around 1 degree plus or minus 1 usually at this time, at night minus degreeīs are expected though.

Youre in oslo right?
    So aprox 52 european miles from me to you I guess? around 6 hours on the road to travel.

The weather front in large scale...such as these cold grey mist or rain fronts, tend to cover that area at once, ergo pretty much the same weather, when thereīs summer with rain and thunder though..I think it could vary more.

And I am about to get a bit tired already now..soon bedtime I mean, no point of walking outside now, I have done the dishes, washing of the clothes, have run some 3D and some 2D libre office work..so I may call it a day today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sthlm Oslo.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	638.4 KB 
ID:	149049

And the weather forecast with my lw clouds
    Seems the rain you have over oslo now, is coming the next days to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weather forecast with lw clouds.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	149050

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    And the weather forecast with my lw clouds
    Seems the rain you have over oslo now, is coming the next days to me.
    Too few drunken sacrifices! Tör's upset with y'all!

Yeah, trick for this kind of stuff is how close the camera gets to the moving surface. If close enough where even minor turbulence in water might be visible, then you'll probably need to layer in a few (stretched along motion axis) procedurals as well, and perhaps even add a few particle "splashers" here and there.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

clearing up Monday, hopefully.

Too few drunken sacrifices! Tör's upset with y'all!
    i feel the same way towards him these days, couldn't he just have blasted that damn Corona virus to hell?!

at least with all this rain we'll get some electricity raining over the Norwegian mountains.

As an alternative to KScott's suggestion, I would model the water geo straight and then reshape an endomorph to fit the terrain.

Or, if you want to use the water geo you already have, you can copy that to another layer, straighten the original, and then create an endomorph of the original shape for it using Background To Morph.

Then, in Layout, just apply the endomorph. The texture you run through the shape will follow the shape.

The trick with any of these methods is to apply the deformation to a straight piece of geometry inside Layout. (Either with bones in Layout or after prepping a morph target in Modeler.)

Another method is to use the UV map of the water geo. If the UV map follows the shape, any texture you push through it will follow.

Hope this gives you some ideas for setting up your scene.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    I think KScott and Greenlaw's suggestions are great, but the problem I see with these suggestions is with regards to the water pooling at the end of its journey.

The way I'm visualising the animation is one where the flow of the water is relatively constant at the beginning and middle of the river but steadily slows down to a stop as it approaches the pooling.

I'm not seeing how these techniques allow you to control the flow of the water at various points along the river path.

I was wondering if the spline control tool could be used to control the displacement texture's motion somehow.

Ya could possibly use weight maps/gradient to fade it at polling area and make it a different geo then the pool area geo, and maybe uses a ripple displacement to look as it is slowing down and spreading out into the pool area. though it would be better if the pool area was alot larger. I would also mix texture animation ad displacement, as well as add some particle fx on the sides. Don't forget ya can also use fx in compositing like After Effect to enhance the image. All this in addition to what was posted above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast