Thread: Sonic Mini 4K review

Sonic Mini 4K review

Hey guys, just wanted to share, I reviewed this new 3D printer. The detail is really nice. It's slightly louder than the Sonic Mini I reviewed but that's the only down side. I show a bunch of models I printed with it, in several different resins.

~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

hi Phil,

I'm interested, but come from a PLA printer world and am concerned about ventilation of a resin printer. How easily would I be able to vent this resin printer in my office as I don't have a garage to work out of.

A reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Well, one way would be to build an enclosure around the printer, like a box, then a hose leading out a window. I actually do most of my printing in my basement and don't notice the smell too much. Many resins don't have much in the way of fumes like the Siraya Tech Fast that I normally print with, I don't smell anything at all. The Blu on the other hand is very stinky. Another concern could be the print clean up. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is very stinky and can make you light headed. Since alcohol is so hard to find during the pandemic I've started using Simple Green, which is totally non-toxic. It has a bit of a smell but just like floor cleaner. It's also a lot cheaper.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Nice review thanks
    I've printed afew guitars in PLA and ABS but I have been looking for a nice resin printer

Well this one is a good option. I also reviewed the original Sonic Mini and the Longer 3D Orange 10 on my channel.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Philbert,

You might want to sit down, because this one is exciting.
    The Virtual Foundry has just launched Filamet™, a new metal infused filament that makes any FDM 3D Printer, a 3D Metal Printer!

Maybe you can give them a whirl?

I might reach out to them. It depends on temperature though, my printer will really only get hot enough for PLA, like 215c or so. Another thing to consider is that filaments with stuff added to them wears down the nozzle faster so I might have to invest in a hardened steel or ruby tipped nozzle. Thanks!
    ~~Phil Nolan