Thread: How to show VU meter or "red" hot audio on TC-1

How to show VU meter or "red" hot audio on TC-1

Hi, transitioning from XD455 to TC1. On the 455 when the audio was too hot, it would go red in the VU meter to the left of the Program Monitor. On the TC-1 it's just stronger shades of yellow. Any way to show the VU scale or enable red in hot audio? We use volunteers a lot and easier for them to ride gain on the mixer. Could not find anything in the manual or a search here.
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Last edited by fful; 11-03-2020 at 11:07 AM.

TC1's audio mixers indicate clipping by turning the label at the top of the VU meter red ... but really you want to stay well below that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Steve, Sorry I thing I mucked up my first reply, just getting used to this board. Will try to chase it down and delete.

We don't go over red, but the red was a good visual aid for volunteers. I notice that now over 0 dB it turns only a pale yellow, hard to distinguish from the pale blue.
    1) Any way of making over 0 dB red as in the 455?
    2) Would be great to also have an actual numeric overlay like in the audio mixer inputs. Does not seem possible.
    Last edited by fful; 11-04-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    TC1's audio mixers indicate clipping by turning the label at the top of the VU meter red ... but really you want to stay well below that.
    Right, I know that, but for volunteers the best bet is to just tell them not to go over the red, and it's ok to "tap" it occasionally, otherwise they don't know when it's too hot.
    The problem is that our VU meter never turns red, as I mentioned, just different shades of yellow.

Well I contacted Newtek customer support and got the following:

"I'm following up on your support inquiry.

I looked on a unit and was able to verify what you are seeing. Sadly there is not a way to change the color of the VU meters inside of the software. If you would like, please feel free to submit a feature request here:

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/
    You will need to create a login to submit a feature request. "

Seems they went backwards in functionality.