Thread: LW Modeler 2020.0.2 Backdrop image??

Question LW Modeler 2020.0.2 Backdrop image??

Just tried to load a background image into modeler for reference in 2020.0.2 for the first time and it doesn't show up on screen in the viewport?

Unless it's user error I don't know what is wrong or if it's a bug. Image Editor shows the image ok and i tried PNGs and JPGs but when I assign it to a viewport in Display options nothing happens. Standard NVidia card latest drivers... not sure... Any one know what I'm doing wrong?

thanks!

there is no sanctuary....
    Something I hadn't tried since installing 2020.02. Works fine here, played with it a bit to see if I could get it to break, but it's working.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

thanks for checking.... wonder what my problem is....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwbackdrop.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	148962

Name:	lwbackdrop2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	148963

Frequenter
    Any chance there is an alpha with the image that somehow clips everything? What happens if you disable Alpha Channel in the image properties (Source Tab)?

You are in perspective mode, use camera mode..backdrop images arenīt visible in perspective mode.
    If you use textured environment, that will be visible in perspective mode though.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You are in perspective mode, use camera mode..backdrop images arenīt visible in perspective mode.
    If you use textured environment, that will be visible in perspective mode though.
    thanks - but I'm nor sure what you mean - In this screenshot it shows I'm trying to change the BotR viewport which is "Back" and orthagonal. The TopL one here is in Perspective. So it's not working for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Any chance there is an alpha with the image that somehow clips everything? What happens if you disable Alpha Channel in the image properties (Source Tab)?
    Thanks for checking - nope - I've tried several images including JPGs without alphas and nothing shows up.

TrueArt Support
    Check different images, JPG, PNG, TIFF, with alpha, without alpha,
    Check different viewports, zoom-in, zoom-out,
    Check different OpenGL settings,
    Clean up configs, reload all native plugins.
    etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    thanks for checking.... wonder what my problem is....

Name:	lwbackdrop.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	148962

Name:	lwbackdrop2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	148963
    Out of curiosity, what's your grid size?
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    thanks - but I'm nor sure what you mean - In this screenshot it shows I'm trying to change the BotR viewport which is "Back" and orthagonal. The TopL one here is in Perspective. So it's not working for me.

- - - Updated - - -

As you clearly see, and I was talking about camera, it seems I didnīt have the coffe working yet when I wrote that, too hasty response since I thought it was a Layout issue.
    Sorry about that I must have had a temporary brain melt down when answering you, and I donīt think I can help you solve it since I donīt have 2020 installed either.

Anyway..good luck.

Yes 180mm seems ridiculously small, when you open modeler it defaulted to a 500mm grid, meaning that in order to place a reasonably sized image in a viewport it will need to be around 10 meters which is around 50 times greater in size than 180mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 20.01.09.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	480.4 KB 
ID:	148967  

Make sure you haven't hit View > Viewports > Toggle Backdrop at some point by mistake. If it clicking it doesn't solve your problem make sure to hit it a second time because if you do find the solution, it'll now be hidden.
    Last edited by Oedo 808; 10-31-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    Yes 180mm seems ridiculously small, when you open modeler it defaulted to a 500mm grid, meaning that in order to place a reasonably sized image in a viewport it will need to be around 10 meters which is around 50 times greater in size than 180mm
    Yeah, that's where I was going. 180mm may be the correct size for what they are modeling, but if the grid size is 2m or more it won't show up at all unless you zoom in a bit. 500mm at least shows up. Oedo 808 probably has it though.
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 11-01-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Check different images, JPG, PNG, TIFF, with alpha, without alpha,
    Check different viewports, zoom-in, zoom-out,
    Check different OpenGL settings,
    Clean up configs, reload all native plugins.
    etc. etc.
    Thanks I checked everything except cleaning up configs and reloading all native plugins.... maybe that's next

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's your grid size?
    It was at 200mm but I tried other ones and didn't see any results with the backdrop showing up

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    As you clearly see, and I was talking about camera, it seems I didnīt have the coffe working yet when I wrote that, too hasty response since I thought it was a Layout issue.
    Sorry about that I must have had a temporary brain melt down when answering you, and I donīt think I can help you solve it since I donīt have 2020 installed either.

Anyway..good luck.
    no worries - thanks for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Make sure you haven't hit View > Viewports > Toggle Backdrop at some point by mistake. If it clicking it doesn't solve your problem make sure to hit it a second time because if you do find the solution, it'll now be hidden.

it works now!

Ah yes!! thank you... it was a combination of grid size and Toggle Backdrop - Since I never used Toggle Backdrop in this install - I wonder if it was hidden by default? Despite having used LW for many years, I didn't even really know about the toggle backdrop function in the View menu.

This was all probably just my user error... I was zooming in and out before when I didn't see the backdrop image - but I guess it was hidden - plus trying to see a 9cm object with a 200mm grid was not right. Thanks for that! much appreciated!