Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houdini Particles to Lightwave (2018)

Houdini Particles to Lightwave (2018)

Hi guys,
    Just found this on the user manual from Lightwave 2020 the partio node:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...ls/partio-node

Apparently allows particles from Houdini to be loaded into Lightwave. Does anyone know if there may be a way around in Lightwave 2018?

Thanks

May depend on which Houdini version you are using, I can not try indie or full since I am currently only running apprentice, but export is limited there, so for that version probably only obj export, maybe also obj sequences.
    probably also mdd, but all that is not the same as partio.

but export is limited there,...
    it is?... thought it was almost the same as Full & indie ?

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

it is?... thought it was almost the same as Full & indie ?

Alembic and FBX is not available for export...at least not in my apprentice version which is a bit older..18.0.287

Obj export, and object seqence, and mdd, and vdb export is all there, you can also export the hair created in there, but a bit tricky.
    usually itīs enough to stand on the end level and save geometry.

Like if you create a box, go to cloudfx tab, add cloud rig on that geometry. (creates a volume fog, noise, and full lighting for the cloud)

Go to network viewer obj, select cloud from object, enter or double click to enter it, the end node there is the cloudlight..just right click on that
    and choose save geometry from the menu..it will probably bring you up a request to save out obj or geo, just change filename extension to vdb...and accept, this will write this cloudfx object out as vdb directly...no fuzz.

Should be loading well in Lightwave and blender, then in houdini you can then continue to bevel or form that box to better cloud shapes, or even replace with lightwave modeled shapes, while it maintains the cloudfx tools on top of it for another go at exporting.

This way of exporting means you need to be aware of at what level you should be in within the network for the exports to work.
    mdd was a bit trickier when I did it, thereīs some vid instructions though..but I donīt have it in front of me right now, will have to check my vids.

Yes, i recall now
    Alembic and FBX was a no-go.

there was also this for points + morphs
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/154749

haven't looked further into it.

because, you know, time and stuff...

Yes, i recall now
    Alembic and FBX was a no-go.

there was also this for points + morphs
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/154749

haven't looked further into it.

because, you know, time and stuff...
    yeah..time, and why do you persist to torture yourself ..and me by challenging me with this kind of pipeline stuff
    For the particles, donīt know exactly.

For houdini liquid vdb to lightwave, just began to scratch the surface on that, so if you enter the liquid object node, from there you can acess the vdb tools with the tab key and add vdb from particles, add that to the end of the render node.
    right click and save out with a file extension of vdb and accept save, thate will yield a meshed geometry based on the voxel settings in houdini from lets say lava from object in the liquid toolshelf.
    now I just need to get that in to vdb sequences ..probably with the right f$ naming.

But it worked in Lightwave to import a single liquid vdb file, added a null, added the openvdb evaluator, and opened the nodes and added the openvdb info and choose that vdb file, instantly transforms to that mesh as it was in houdini.

Bad thing though..that I need to adress, when I use lightwave particles and create vdb meshing for liuids, and try to use the saver it crashes all the time, so that is something to solve.

Yeah..a bit more of experimenting in to the early morning hours, now I really have to eat something and then go to bed straigh away, my my..not good for the health.

Anyway..Yes, finally got the vdb export working in sequence as well, now I just need to learn to simulate cool liquids first, then try those.

See my little dummy, you need to be in the liuqid object node, and add the nodes I pointed out with the arrow, then stand on the compressed cache node and in itīs dialog ..save to disk.
    And you need to name it with the $F before the extension in order to get the sequenced vdb files.
    $HIP/Desktop/test liq vdb/test sim$F.vdb

I actually think I added one unnecessary node, the convert vdb node, I think it should have been enough with just the vdb from particles node..will test and remove it later.

Once in lightwave, add the openVDB evaluator to a null and enter itīs properties and add a vdb info, and load the vdb file, plug the grid outputs correct.

I think you should be able to try that with lightwave discovery as well?

The lightwave crashes is something for saving vdb exports from lightwave ..is something I have to look at much later.
    Same with any option to save out particles, mdd or something else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	houdini VDB liquid export dummy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	148945

And yes,
    there is some restrictions inside the particle location node in terms of permissions of adding files for export etc, but outside of it it worked..accordingly to my screenshot, so try and set it up like that if object sequencing is ok.
    Add a file cache in the end of the import location node as seen in screenshot.
    So object sequenced worked, same as with vdb ..click on the file cache and itīs dialog to save to disk, name it with $f before the obj extension to get sequenced obj files.

in Layot load the first obj file, then go to primitive/geometry and add the object sequence replacer, it will not be seen in viewport until set to vertices, and not seen in render since it has no surface attributes, use old hv sprites or hv surfaces instead.
    The new volumetrics will probably not recognize it..since it is not true particles and the new volumetrics doesnīt read vertices.

The animated sequence plays fine anyway.

Name:	houdini particles 2 lightwave obj sequence.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	438.7 KB 
ID:	148946

So...vdb liquid export works to export to Lightwave and then surfacing it properly with pbr materials ..so pretty much most vdb sims.
    So..obj particle sequencing works to export to Lightwave and applying hv sprites or hv surface.

nice find, i'm taking a break from some 3D stuff at the moment.

Stress at work, Lots. Corona be Gone.

Stress at work, Lots. Corona be Gone.
    You do that, feels wise..and await any possible future for LW development, if thereīs any hope left that is, let time do the work for you on your health and away from 3D for a while, and pick it up when
    thereīs less stress and inspirations arrives again..perhaps.

I had that in mind too, took a little break during summer, but got dragged in to it again now in fall, need to schedule up plans better and projects.

Meanwhile I will try and book these findings to a pipeline dummy, either in pdf docs, or on a website, and covering both lightwave to blender and back and houdini..possibly also Daz studio, Unreal I havenīt gotten started with..but is also
    something I need to put my toes into.

Take care and I guess You will show up from time to time ..during night hours.

And yes, in some regions here in Sweden..it starts to increase a lot again with corona.

Yep, understandable. Good time to learn something unrelated. I'm working on rebuilding my "(LatAm) Spanish", real languages are a nice break from computer languages.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

And displacing the object sequence works well too, it propagates through the entire object sequence.

Name:	object sequence displacement.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	148947

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Yep, understandable. Good time to learn something unrelated. I'm working on rebuilding my "(LatAm) Spanish", real languages are a nice break from computer languages.
    Sometimes I feel like moving to a cabin in the wilderness, as long as I have a warm fire stove, fresh water, some dried meat and lots of berries, some milk to go with that, coffe and a lot of cinnamon buns, some nice science fiction books, books on the universe and evolution etc.
    And just enjoy solitude, doesnīt rhyme with economy and paying your bills though.
    But three months of that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    And just enjoy solitude, doesnīt rhyme with economy and paying your bills though.
    But three months of that would be nice.
    Really, too much social contact over the last ten months?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast