Thread: the Multi procedural fractal node: Not updating changing option noise mode/displacem

the Multi procedural fractal node: Not updating changing option noise mode/displacem

Just noticed something I am not sure I made any fuzz about before.

Lightwave 2019.1.5

in surface displacement mode, and feeding the procedural fractal (that which contains all fractals to switch without breaking the node)
    in to displacement.
    When for instance using puffy clouds, or ridged multifractal..and entering itīs option to tweak lacunarity etc, there is also a noise type to change from perling to value, gradient etc.
    Now..it doesnīt update when changing that noise type within the fractal...not unless you have studio live on.

Itīs bad, frankly very dissapointed with this node procedural...trying to make it easier to use various nodes without breaking the end output..
    Itīs pretty much useless, you canīt invert the node fractal, you canīt change noise type and have it update properly, you cant edit options without having to pop up
    yet another window module.

I recommend to simply stack up all the fractals you can in one node and re-connect when needed, a super switch node would have been better where all nodes can be plugged in, and a way to mute all but one selected node.
    The other procedurals work as they should when changing noise type per fractal texture.

Time to hire Denis P online, I think the lw team needs more developers.

Edit..O my..itīs even worse, the procedural multinode is not even responding to any option change at all, not just the noise type switch ..very bad.

TrueArt Support
    you can in one node and re-connect when needed, a super switch node would have been better where all nodes can be plugged in, and a way to mute all but one selected node.
    "Super switch node" you can normally implement using Gradient with enabled "Show Key Inputs"..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    "Super switch node" you can normally implement using Gradient with enabled "Show Key Inputs"..
    Interesting, but I donīt see that working..do you mean to plug several procedurals in to each key?
    Seems you wouldnīt have a good workflow of switching various procedurals on and off.
    turning show keys on off would break the connection, and not much else you can do with that gradient as far as I know of.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Interesting, but I donīt see that working..do you mean to plug several procedurals in to each key?
    Seems you wouldnīt have a good workflow of switching various procedurals on and off.
    turning show keys on off would break the connection, and not much else you can do with that gradient as far as I know of.
    ....you change Input to switch between them...

It's well-known technique to anybody who is using nodes..

e.g.
    Plug Const > Color red to 1st key in Gradient at #1
    Plug Const > Color green to 2nd key in Gradient at #2
    Plug Const > Color blue to 3rd key in Gradient at #3
    etc.
    Plug current frame number to Gradient's "Input".
    And you have different color (or whatever) depending on frame number.

For switching between Materials there is Multi Switch node,
    for scalar/color/vector you can use Gradient (since LW v9.0, IIRC).
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-24-2020 at 03:56 AM.

TrueArt Support
    ...or do you mean that you want to merge a few optional inputs together.. ?

How is it different from simply using Math > Vector > Add Scaled.
    A is 1st color,
    B is 2nd color,
    if Scale is 0, output is A,
    if Scale is 1, output is A+B*Scale

Stack a few such and you can merge them any way you want.

Sorry sensei, your description is too numeric and tedious to go through, why not just show two or three procedural nodes that is fed in to this gradient setup,
    So I can see the structure, not read the structure as in this description I would have to setup, so I am not asking you to do the work for me as in posting the nodes, but since you already described it..just an image of how you set it up.

I donīt think you can get stack them the proper way, and just have a switch somewhere..why would you even then bother when you just could stack all procedurals loose, and connect which ever procedural I would need.
    We need a mute on off button to check, like if you would have color or scalar layer nodes full with all the procedurals, and just check uncheck active or not.

"Stack a few such and you can merge them any way you want?"
    Not sure you read me right here I donīt want to merge the procedurals with eachother to a new fractal output, If I said merge previously..I ment to gather them all in a node similar to the procedural node..which is a multinode supposedly be great to switch between various fractal instead of disconnecting and connecting...but as I said, it is a poorly implemented node.

I just canīt see how you can make a on off switch easy to uncheck or check for muting and activating every procedural in a large setup with all procedurals to choose from directly inside the node editor field.

Not sure if you understood the topicc? what I complained about with this multip procedural node? perhaps you did.

But please..if you are up to it and already have done it..please prove me wrong

Yes..I know how to set them up like this, but you would have to change opacity for those you do not want active, unless I have missed that there is a mute function for nodes...
    for how the gradients should work smoothly, I donīt know though.

But yeah, it may be better than to have all nodes loose and disconnect and reconnect, hard to say.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	node multi.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	148926

Got to feed the bed bugs now though, so godnight Sensei.

TrueArt Support
    What is needed is node which has list of checkboxes.
    Each checkbox must have corresponding output (with 0 and 1, returned depending on state of checkbox).
    Then user will plug each output to Add Scaled "Scale" input.

Additionally Multi-Add Scaled node could be also a good idea.
    Expanding automatically when user is plugging things to it (similar to Multi Switch).

I could make such nodes and add to TrueArt's Node Library 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    What is needed is node which has list of checkboxes.
    Each checkbox must have corresponding output (with 0 and 1, returned depending on state of checkbox).
    Then user will plug each output to Add Scaled "Scale" input.

Additionally Multi-Add Scaled node could be also a good idea.
    Expanding automatically when user is plugging things to it (similar to Multi Switch).

I could make such nodes and add to TrueArt's Node Library 2020.

Great, keep that in mind then, will have to go through all your plugins later on.
    The Situation being as it is with Lightwave..I am trying to shift focus with my 3D tools, until or If Lightwave shows more progress, but otherwise I will probably not spend a dime more on Lightwave upgrades or
    any plugin really, the exception maybe being 3rd powers tool which I still may consider in the first place of all plugins.