Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PNG Artifact SE2

PNG Artifact SE2

Good Morning, had this come up today on a recent project. Red text on white background. Creating a "brown outline" artifact (jpeg attached rendered from SE2). Any ideas, help, etc? The same png opened in photo gallery or Vegas, doesn't show the artifact.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2b.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	148907

Could you attach the PNG?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Could you attach the PNG?
    Hi Steve,
    The image is at the bottom of my original post. You can click on it to make it larger.
    PaulClick image for larger version. 

Views:	11 
ID:	148908

Am I missing something ? That appears to be a JPEG.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

That jpeg is a straight “render still” from SE2 timeline.
    PNG source file.

Sorry, what I asked was whether you could attach the PNG? (I'd like to examine it.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6_3333 View Post
    Good Morning, had this come up today on a recent project. Red text on white background. Creating a "brown outline" artifact (jpeg attached rendered from SE2). Any ideas, help, etc? The same png opened in photo gallery or Vegas, doesn't show the artifact.

Views:	28 
ID:	148907
    You are aware of that you both used png and jpg here? and as you should be aware of, jpg is lossy compressed and can result in artifacts, png isnīt is lossless and should produce more accurate results, so be careful with jpg if you have transparent backgrounds..as in avoiding it.
    From your renderer you should have rendered out png, not jpg, since it was the source and shouldnīt be comprimized.

Here is the original PNG. This is what was placed on the SE2 timeline - used it for transparency options and quality:

Name:	Intro2-All.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	148910

I added the JPG only to show what the output of SE2 looks like (gray/brown artifact). And as far as I can tell, that is the only render still option in SE2.

Here is the original PNG. This is what was placed on the SE2 timeline...
    Thanks. I've looked at the source image in some detail, and can't find anything hidden in it that might cause this. I don't suppose there is another coincident layer in the timeline that could account for the issue? I'm sure you'd notice that in the timeline view.

Assuming there isn't some sort of overlay there, have you tried exiting and restarting SE?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Yes, I have confirmed that this occurs even without any other layers on timeline.
    Have restarted SE2 a few different times, with no change either.
    I have Vegas 14 on my computer (don't use it much) and loaded the png there, and it looks good on output. Just don't want to recreate the whole project on Vegas due to time constraints.
    So my feeling is the SE2 is digitally altering this file in some way. Any chance that some Preference might need to be changed??

Or could you try to put the png on your timeline and see if you get the same result on output?

Sure ... man, it's been a while since I fired up SE! Your image is pretty small, so I used an SD resolution project. I can't see any issues here, apart from low res and what appears to be a drop shadow on the left - not sure if that's intentional. But nothing like what you're seeing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhs2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	148919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhs.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	148920  
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

As I mentioned, that's the problem. The original PNG is high res and clean > the output from SE2 is shadowed (if that's what you want to call it). There is no shadow or outline on original red text. SE2 is compromising the text somehow.
    I have tried chroma keying out the gray/brown outline and that seems to help, but it also degrades the text a bit. Any other work-arounds from others to try??

As I mentioned, that's the problem. The original PNG is high res and clean > the output from SE2 is shadowed (if that's what you want to call it).
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. In your JPEGs, attached, I can see a sort of brown background comprised of triangles. I do not see this in SE renders, as shown in my prior attachments.

The original PNG you supplied is SD resolution (720x480), not high res. Also, the 'shadow' is clearly visible when I look at the image, quite apart from SE. You can see it clearly in this magnified image, which is not from SE. And it doesn't seem to matter whether I load the image with premultiplied or 'straight' alpha.

Name:	dhs3.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	148921
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I was trying to crop the image down so you could just focus on the issue. I'll try another way - there is a clear problem with the SE2:

Original PNG

Name:	OrignalPNG.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	148922

SE2 Output (JPG)

Name:	SE2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	148923