Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: LightWave 3D Magazine

  1. #1
    Registered User gdkeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    296

    LightWave 3D Magazine

    Would love to see something like this again.

    https://issuu.com/klamity/docs/light...agazine_issue2

  2. #2
    Registered User jimzombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55
    Agree. I loved those.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,069
    Occasionally I see listings on Ebay for LW magazines from an early era, names like NewTekniques and NewTek Pro, which look interesting. Do those exist as PDFs anywhere on any site ?

  4. #4
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,290
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

  5. #5
    Not so newbie member lardbros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,056
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Occasionally I see listings on Ebay for LW magazines from an early era, names like NewTekniques and NewTek Pro, which look interesting. Do those exist as PDFs anywhere on any site ?
    I have a load of the HDRI 3D magazine which had lots of LW stuff in, and many of these magazines were run by enthusiasts who became ill
    The HDRI 3d editor became ill, and that one stopped shortly afterwards. The magazine itself was amazing though!!! So many awesome tutorials.

    I'd quite happily scan them in and share if I knew I wouldn't get sued for copyright infringement. What is the standing on that?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

    Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,069
    @ raymondtrace, Thanks !
    @ lardbros, Very kind, but with copyright better to err on the side of caution....pity though

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    346
    We should setup an online server or website where it is easy to find HDRI 3D Magazine, Newtek Pro, Desktop Images CDs and VHS, basically stuff that is fantastic for reference and it is imposible to find on second hand market or even online... as it was discontinued some years back :/

  8. #8
    Male Modeler ccclarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    137
    I've got 14 mint condition issues of HDRi, 16 Desktop Images DVDs, Lightwave-centric Video Toaster User magazines, three of the four Ron Thornton VHS tapes - signed by him when I attended the DAVE school, and most of the KURV collection. Probably 40 DVD's in all, and they weren't cheap.

    While hard to find, these pop up on eBay occasionally - you can set alerts to let you know when they're listed.

    While an online repository would be great. anything copyrighted shouldn't be posted without the publisher's permission.

    CCC
    Last edited by ccclarke; 10-20-2020 at 06:21 PM.

  9. #9
    Registered User jimzombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Awesome link

  10. #10
    Not so newbie member lardbros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,056
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    @ raymondtrace, Thanks !
    @ lardbros, Very kind, but with copyright better to err on the side of caution....pity though
    If someone knew what the deal was with copyright, it might be alright to do it. I have no idea. The magazines must be well over 10 years old now, but they're still brilliant to read through. Much better tutorials than the magazines you get these days.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

    Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

  11. #11
    Registered User WaveRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    origin
    Posts
    27
    Still got a lot of Lightwave Pro magazines(as well as Video Toaster User). Acquiring these outside the US at the time was pricey, to say the least.

    https://archive.org/details/Lightwav...uting/mode/2up

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    I've got 14 mint condition issues of HDRi, 16 Desktop Images DVDs, Lightwave-centric Video Toaster User magazines, three of the four Ron Thornton VHS tapes - signed by him when I attended the DAVE school, and most of the KURV collection. Probably 40 DVD's in all, and they weren't cheap.

    While hard to find, these pop up on eBay occasionally - you can set alerts to let you know when they're listed.

    While an online repository would be great. anything copyrighted shouldn't be posted without the publisher's permission.

    CCC
    Deffinetly worth checking the publisher first of all before publishing any stuff, but would be fantastic sharing with the whole community. Even if companies are not open any longer I'm sure the people running them but also the artists may be happy to release. In any case, we can try and setting up some money all together to repurchased to people did an investment some time ago maybe.

  13. #13
    Male Modeler ccclarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    137
    If I decide to sell my collection, I'll post here first.

    CCC

  14. #14
    ack ack Markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,646
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    If someone knew what the deal was with copyright, it might be alright to do it. I have no idea. The magazines must be well over 10 years old now, but they're still brilliant to read through. Much better tutorials than the magazines you get these days.
    Literally just been reading a Newtek Pro (2002) which I found sealed in envelope (too much time, so been tidying up).
    Steve Bowie wrote turorials and was Assistant Editor.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

  15. #15
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Steve Bowie wrote turorials and was Assistant Editor.
    So he did.

    I contributed to enough NewTek/LW mags over the years that I don't think I can recall all of the different names. And before that, the late lamented Amiga User International ... now those were the days.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •