Thread: VizRT on Facebook

VizRT on Facebook

VizRT's Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/vizrt/posts/3618874841496155

shows an AR commercial prototype for Mercedes, a "behind the scenes" webfest on 10/21, and the NAB New York Marketplace 10/15-29.

It'd be nice if there was SOMETHING about Lightwave in all that.

Why? They use Cinema4d for everything.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

They don't mention Lightwave at all, but some of the things discussed in the 15th Sept video, Investing in the Future of Broadcasting (at approx 7m30s), does mirror what has been observed recently regarding Lightwave.
    https://www.facebook.com/vizrt/video...type=2&theater

The Chief Executive Officer, Michael Hallon, confirms that Newtek and Vizrt have "integrated the organisation completely", but he is quite clear that the identity of Newtek and Vizrt will remain separate. This implies that LW is still under some sort of Newtek umbrella....which actually makes the Vizrt LW "We're saying nothing" statement not as gloomy. I think one reason for the user panic is that LW has become a victim of the changed naming convention, where users now expect a release called LW2021, but would this have been the case under the old naming system ? Still hoping anyway.

I somehow see a lot of vizrt promoted posts in my FB feed...and each one gets a comment about LW, just to remind them that it is their program.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    They don't mention Lightwave at all, but some of the things discussed in the 15th Sept video, Investing in the Future of Broadcasting (at approx 7m30s), does mirror what has been observed recently regarding Lightwave.
    https://www.facebook.com/vizrt/video...type=2&theater

The Chief Executive Officer, Michael Hallon, confirms that Newtek and Vizrt have "integrated the organisation completely", but he is quite clear that the identity of Newtek and Vizrt will remain separate. This implies that LW is still under some sort of Newtek umbrella....which actually makes the Vizrt LW "We're saying nothing" statement not as gloomy. I think one reason for the user panic is that LW has become a victim of the changed naming convention, where users now expect a release called LW2021, but would this have been the case under the old naming system ? Still hoping anyway.
    Good to know that Newtek, while integrated into the overall VizRT corporate structure, is its own "channel". That means the dead silence about the future of Lightwave is the good old crapola we've come to love and expect from Newtek, completely unforced by VizRT.

I feel like I'm wrapped in a blanket, fresh from the dryer, and covered in kittens.

Guys,
    Hi,
    If you aren't addressing your concerns to Andrew, it ain't being heard.
    Dr. Cross, based on what you are saying, is in charge.
    He, based on my reads and at least one conversation, has always preferred 3dmax. LW was an abdominal waste of resources being separate, is how I grokked it.
    If what you say is true, I hope to see Core reinvigorated and integrated into the fold. That is, assuming, that all the IP confusion that caused it not to proceed in the past has been resolved.
    Ikeda brought back to make the next big leap with his Core nugget. You know, complete the coding thought he had.
    And all of what they learned, put back in; vdb, nodes, everything that LW has now, modularly placed into the Core ecosystem.

Sounds delightful.

Magnificent exercise in mental masturbation as to what will never happen. I could only wish to be wrong. I have been to a few NewTek parties in LV, San Antonio that I feel nostalgic and melancholy about this. I still wear my Core shirt, never knowing the jeering going on behind me. (Hyperbole, but you get the drift.)
    Sigh. In getting my employer's TriCaster fixed, I realize I have relied on NewTek products for over ... 45 years... No... That can't be right... 40 years - A bit before 1990 to today... with a VideoToaster or Tricaster and Lightwave. Wow.
    This isn't the first time I haven't felt strongly about a LW update, but it was the most dead-ending I felt about how I had to move off of teaching Lightwave.

I hear you guys. You don't really have a good focus on where to send suggestions, concerns and conversation. This is a dead end, I have noted. This is for us to commiserate; but that ain't gonna get us a new LW.
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

"This benefits our customers because then we can leverage technology in both directions...." - Vizrt CEO
    So Lightwave is currently surfing somewhere in that reality (okay, languishing), but if there really is access to "both directions", then one of those features a realtime rendering engine..

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    The Chief Executive Officer, Michael Hallon, confirms that Newtek and Vizrt have "integrated the organisation completely", but he is quite clear that the identity of Newtek and Vizrt will remain separate. This implies that LW is still under some sort of Newtek umbrella....which actually makes the Vizrt LW "We're saying nothing" statement not as gloomy.
    It might make the "no comment" statement less gloomy, but wouldn't that scenario make the dev exits even more gloomy?

And, in any case, how would a "more of the same" approach under Newtek help Lightwave?
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-20-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    It might make the "no comment" statement less gloomy, but wouldn't that scenario make the dev exits even more gloomy?

And, in any case, how would a "more of the same" approach under Newtek help Lightwave?
    I was trying to counter the presumption that LW is gone, to allude that it may be more in hibernation under the restructure...but merrily admit to straw-clutching..
    Last edited by TheLexx; 10-20-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    Guys,
    I hear you guys. You don't really have a good focus on where to send suggestions, concerns and conversation. . . . that ain't gonna get us a new LW.
    So where should we address our suggestions, concerns, and conversations?

Hopefully, we write down what we REALLY want to say in Notepad. Then, after several deep, cleansing breaths, we send mature, respectful emails describing our long-term use of Lightwave, the love and joy we feel using Lightwave, and that we want to see a long and happy future for LIghtwave.

Couldn't hurt.

Read my post. It is my presumption based on comments above that Dr. Cross is who you need to address those concerns to. He's probably not bothering with these forums.

As well, what you say probably wouldn't hurt. I've expressed myself in the melancholy way of the day, both in notepad and here. But, ya know, I think its why we lost many a luminary: we gritch and moan and seemingly forget about the art.
    In the right hands, any version could probably do today's vfx. Not as fast. With the plugins of the day, of course. But yeah, can do it. Somewhere, people might be making a living on not-so-modern tools. Truly, the gritching here says as much.

And I'm not saying don't post the stuff. Makes for great entertainment, I admit. I'm reading a lot of forums and it is apparent across most of them that this affects a lot of people, even if they'd rather not comment/get involved/deal with the ... emotional side of watching a train wreck.

I'm a diehard. Ha, that used to be the name. I guess they call us some derivative of 'fanboy' today. I don't believe as I used to on upgrading and the value thereof. I do, though, understand I've learned a lot; so much so that I can extrapolate that to apps that have ... growth to them.

In hopes of adding to the entertainment,
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Just try to keep in mind: Customer praise is basically unreliable, it rarely correlates well with customer satisfaction, nor future revenue. Praise offers little specific value towards improving revenue. Polite, specific customer criticism is almost always viewed as much more valuable by companies, because it much more reliably correlates with customer satisfaction, and helps companies form tangible plans for improving product revenue.

A company that cannot or will not receive, accept and act upon genuine, specific criticism is effectively doomed.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-21-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Read my post. It is my presumption based on comments above that Dr. Cross is who you need to address those concerns to. He's probably not bothering with these forums.
    Probably not, although I'm sure his ears are several degrees above ambient temperature.

A cursory search of the "Contact Us" link didn't bring up a specific NEWTEK email address for Dr. Cross. If someone gots, please share.

I keep thinking back to the campaign to save Star Trek. It "only" got them one more season, but that was enough for syndication, and the rest is History . . .