View Poll Results: What LW version are you primarily using?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • LW 9 (or prior)

1 1.69%
  • LW10

0 0%
  • LW11

4 6.78%
  • LW2015

10 16.95%
  • LW2018

2 3.39%
  • LW2019

15 25.42%
  • LW2020 (or later)

27 45.76%
  • None or N/A

0 0%

Thread: What LW version are you primarily using?

What LW version are you primarily using?

As so many are talking about using LW now and into the future, it seemed worthwhile to try and gather some info on what versions are primarily being used.

BTW, the "LW2020 (or later)" answer explicitly includes unreleased revisions beyond the existing LW2020.0.2 release.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-19-2020 at 02:56 AM.

I've mostly been using LW 11, but am looking forward to spending some quality time with 2020. I hear there are some obnoxious bugs though... So...

2020 is fine for modelling but Layout still has way too many bugs to be useful, first 2020 version SSS was broken,(spent half a day trying to figure out why nothing was working correctly), now fixed though, and VDB and volumetric scattering are still a no no

Pretty much what gerry_g just said. Too many of my 3rd party tools got broken with 2020 with no hope of those ever getting updated.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Most of my work is in 2015 because it would realy be a massive undertaking to convert most of my clients older and currently ongoing work projects to the newer 2020. that doesn't mean that I'm not using 2020 at all though, just fresh new started work projects.

Just started a new project the end of last week. Planning on doing about half in Lightwave 2020 and the rest in Blender. Haven't used Lightwave much since 2015, haven't really used Blender at all. So mostly it's a learning thing. Might end up using 2015 if I can't get past the render bugs, plan to give 2020 a good try first. Mostly plan to use cad/.cam programs for modeling. Kinda funny, about half the assets are left over from an old project in Lightwave 7 and will need to be re-textured, I probably could reload Lightwave 7 and do it in 7 Nice thing about it not being rental software. Used lots of Worley plugins in the scenes, but am only using the models, so 2020 or 2015 should be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    2020 is fine for modelling but Layout still has way too many bugs to be useful, first 2020 version SSS was broken,(spent half a day trying to figure out why nothing was working correctly), now fixed though, and VDB and volumetric scattering are still a no no
    As a modeler first, part of that makes me happy, but I do really enjoy tinkering in layout. That part is a sad.