Thread: Render question

your average lightwaver gpdesigner's Avatar

Render question

Is it possible to render farm 2 machines to render out a still image?
    I know screamernet can help render out an animation, but can I utilize both my machines processing power to render a single frame.
    The reason I asked is I rendered out this image last night and it took me 23+ mins. The scene was light intensive with tons of Occ. surfaces.
    I am using a Mac5,1 3.4ghz 6 core, but I want to involve my mac2,1 2.4 8 core machine...
    is this possible?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base_2_night.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	397.5 KB 
ID:	148870
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro 5,1 6-Core 3.46 5690 Intel Xeon and MacPro 2,1 2x Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram

I don’t think so, it usually does a series of frames per machine.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Thanks Marc,
    how are you?
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro 5,1 6-Core 3.46 5690 Intel Xeon and MacPro 2,1 2x Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram

TrueArt Support
    You can use Render Limit tool.

Open Edit Menu Layout,
    search for "limit",
    you will see two commands.
    Limited Region and Region Pos.
    Make buttons for them.

Set one scene with limited region to render top half and second one with bottom half of screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You can use Render Limit tool.

Open Edit Menu Layout,
    search for "limit",
    you will see two commands.
    Limited Region and Region Pos.
    Make buttons for them.

Set one scene with limited region to render top half and second one with bottom half of screen.
    is there some literature on this procedure so I can get more information on what you are talking about and how it relates
    to me using the processing power of my second machine.
    thanks Sensei
    Last edited by gpdesigner; 10-19-2020 at 07:02 AM.

I'm not sure how much documentation is available. Sensei describes an old concept that might date back to the Amiga days. You just set up to render the top half of your images on one machine and the bottom half on another machine. Then use an image editor (Photoshop, etc) to combine the two halves into a single image.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...limited-region
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

There are some "catches" to be aware of using the "split-by-limited-regions" approach: If you're using GI, you need to use the same GI cache for rendering both image sections, or there's likely to be lighting differences (thus artifacts) at the "seam" between the two. Similarly, if any objects straddle that seam, depending on surfacing used, you might need to make sure both use the same random seed value, etc. to avoid surfacing artifacts at the seam. LW2020 has some general issues with deterministic surfacing across multiple renders, so you're likely to have to fix some artifacts regardless.

The new LW render engine is also generally less likely to produce visible artifacts if the seam falls along a "render tile boundary" rather than "mid-tile", but that's a bit more complicated to explain (see this docs entry for how to determine tile size, then ensure the seam falls along a coordinate line that modulo the tile size yields 0). If you don't understand that, ask, and hopefully someone here can explain better how to align the seam on tile boundary. LW's render engine does some behind-the-scenes adjustment to ensure render continuity at tile boundaries, so by splitting the regions at a tile boundary you can benefit from those internal adjustments as well.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti