Thread: transmission problems over wifi

transmission problems over wifi

I have a wired computer that is livestreaming from OBS to Facebook. I'm simultaneously sending that video signal over NDI (using the OBS plugin) to a wireless laptop, and displaying the video on that laptop using NDI Monitor. I find that the video transmission is very spotty over wifi, which is understandable, except that the wireless laptop can stream the video directly from Facebook without issue. I would much rather receive the signal directly over my network rather than get it through Facebook. Is there any way to improve the video transmission? I'm already using the "low bandwidth" option in the NDI monitor software.

Video from Facebook is buffered to account for network interruptions. NDI is a design for low latency (1 frame or less) with no buffering which makes it designed for wired network.

The first question I always ask, does it need to be wireless? I know that people like wireless, but does it NEED to be? Is the device moving around, need to be carried? If not, then connect it with a wire. If the laptop doesn't have a RJ45 network jack, then get a USB3 to Gigabit ethernet adapter.

Some people have gotten it to work on wireless, but that isn't what NDI was designed for. You don't mention what kind of WiFi you are using, but going with the fastest possible, also make sure you are on frequency that is as clear as can be from interference with other access points and put as few devices as possible on the access point.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you. I figured this was probably the answer to expect. Basically, it's a location that would be very difficult to wire, so I'd much prefer a wireless solution. But technically it does not need to be wired.