Thread: Can I re-route NDI audio channels (3&4 > 1&2) from Tricaster

Can I re-route NDI audio channels (3&4 > 1&2) from Tricaster

Hello,

If I have an NDI stream with video and 4 channels of audio, can I create a new NDI video stream using channels 3&4 from the source NDI stream?

In other words, I want to put channels 3&4 from one NDI stream and put them into channels 1&2 (aka Left and Right stereo feed) in a second new NDI stream.

Is this possible?

You can do this with Zen Video's 'NDI RTx' application.

http://www.zenvideo.co.uk/ndi.htm
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you Kane, I'll take a look!

Is there a solution that is broadcast ready? The NDI RTx application is 4 years old and not supported with any guarantees.

In case it's been overlooked, you can of course create NDI outputs with different audio mixes using TriCaster's own audio routing.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve,

The issue is that my endpoint device receiving the NDI stream can only see a stereo feed (Channels 1 and 2). I want my device to see Channels 3 and 4 from the Tricaster, which is why I have the need for re-routing the channels from 3&4 to 1&2.

Assuming you are running a version of TriCaster that shipped in the last couple of years, most if not all of which including internal audio matric routing, you should be able to do this easily. Just set up two Aux busses, one each cross-mapped as you wish, and assign those busses as the audio source for, for example, TriCaster's Mix 1 and Mix 2 outputs. Connect downstream NDI receivers to whichever one you like.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks again Steve. Using two Aux Busses right now is my current solution, but want to be able to free up the one I'm using.

If creating a new NDI feed to re-route NDI channels becomes available in a NewTek product, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by boyler View Post
    Is there a solution that is broadcast ready? The NDI RTx application is 4 years old and not supported with any guarantees.
    Maybe a little more function than you are asking for, but most serious broadcasters using NDI/Newtek add the Sienna NDProcessing Engine for their signal chain management.
    One of the 120+ modules is the 'Audio Shuffler' which does exactly what you asked.

http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndiprocessor.html

Quote Originally Posted by boyler View Post
    I don't know where you found a version of RTx that is "4 years old". The version on the zenvideo website when you posted this was from Feb-2020 and the current one is from Sep-2020, plus there will be a new one soon with some enhancements relating to audio remapping. Email me if you want a current version to test.
    Martin Kay
    ZEN Computer Services - Salford, UK

There's a set of NDI embedders and de-embedders at ndi.lofas.se that might be useful to you.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

@Martin - thank you for your response. I see now that I'm using the Feb 2020 version and I will now grab the Sep 2020 version.

I was basing the release date based on the date of the post on your site which read "Martin Kay - May 2016 - Apr 2017". My apologies for misreading that, and thank you for clarifying!

@Fritz - Thanks for sending your NDI Tools link. I wasn't aware of these previously!