Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Lightwave missing in order to get back on track(TV series, commercials, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    Not saying he is right, but show me a VFX shot done in Modo. There isn't one, only modelling and archviz/product viz.
    Modo is really really really good at shoe viz, though. ;P
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    Not saying he is right, but show me a VFX shot done in Modo. There isn't one, only modelling and archviz/product viz.
    I'm not here to promote M, but does this count ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyWdoyzoNeo

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    ROFL! Spoken like someone who hasn't touched Modo since 601 (or earlier).

But please, feel free to enumerate all the features and aspects of LW's animation, dynamics, and rendering that Modo lacks. It'll be interesting to hear.
    I'm similarly intrigued to hear what M has. I did see a comment by Terrence Walker implying character animation was actually pretty good, but he didn't eloborate. If so, when did it start to get better - does version 10 cut it ? I heard they have some sort of "character box" plugin, which someone else mentioned was quite similar to Rhiggit. So does M animation contain "Lighwave DNA" ? Btw, as a trivia, Terrence uses TVPaint which I believe started life as Newtek's Aura..

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I'm similarly intrigued to hear what M has. I did see a comment by Terrence Walker implying character animation was actually pretty good, but he didn't eloborate. If so, when did it start to get better - does version 10 cut it ? I heard they have some sort of "character box" plugin, which someone else mentioned was quite similar to Rhiggit. So does M animation contain "Lighwave DNA" ? Btw, as a trivia, Terrence uses TVPaint which I believe started life as Newtek's Aura..
    He (TreyX) is the one who made the claim, so it's his obligation to back it up. I'll respond when/if he provides objective evidence/features.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Well, in reply to the OP's question about what LW has been missing to put it on top...

I would guess part of it is ability/depth of scripting. Maya has always allowed big fx houses to write custom plug ins (hair, fabric, rigging, etc...) And this ability over so many years has led to a field of coders for Maya. Blender being open source also allows for a plethora of coders having the ability to customize Blender's abilities.

I don't know that LW allows the same depth...or that its relatively recent addition of Python has allowed for the same numbers of coders to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Modo is really really really good at shoe viz, though. ;P
    Tying up the shoes in real life, and render good looking shoes in 3D is the basics everyone should master though, doesn´t really add to the impression in anyway of being a capable VFX tool.
    But yes..it does that nicely

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Btw, as a trivia, Terrence uses TVPaint which I believe started life as Newtek's Aura..
    TV Paint has always been TV Paint which has always been developed by TVPaint Developpement (yes, proper spelling ). And was first released on the Amiga back in 1991. Aura was a version of TV Paint distributed by Newtek back in 1998 for the US market. In 2003 NT lost US rights to distribution and it became Mirage from Bauhaus Software. Bauhaus added functionality with plugins and that relationship continued through 2005 and ceased do to a rift between the two companies with Bauhaus claiming to be the creators of Mirage. Mirage and Aura are no longer products, but TVPaint Developpement will allow users to upgrade their Mirage to the current TV Paint if you contact them. Just keeping things clear.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    He (TreyX) is the one who made the claim, so it's his obligation to back it up. I'll respond when/if he provides objective evidence/features.
    i said no such thing.

your quoted reference: "I'm similarly intrigued to hear what M has. I did see a comment by Terrence Walker implying character animation was actually pretty good, but he didn't eloborate. If so, when did it start to get better - does version 10 cut it ? I heard they have some sort of "character box" plugin, which someone else mentioned was quite similar to Rhiggit. So does M animation contain "Lighwave DNA" ? Btw, as a trivia, Terrence uses TVPaint which I believe started life as Newtek's Aura..'
    HP ZBook
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v6 @ 3.00GHz
    32GB RAM
    Win 10 Pro, 64-bit
    NVIDIA Quadro P5000

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TreyX View Post
    i said no such thing.
    jwiede's refering to this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by TreyX View Post
    modo is not the successor to LW. modo is primarily a modelling app -- i don't know any studios that have a modo-primary pipeline for feature or broadcast animation. LW's animation, dynamics and rendering features are far more intricate and robust. just because some of the original LW developers left newtek to start up modo doesn't make it LW's successor.

Modo was used on Gotham and Cosmos as I recall. There's also a couple of animated movies....Jack and the Cuckoo-clock Heart and El Americano.
    There is a difference between "haven't been done" and "can not be done".

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    I don't know that LW allows the same depth...or that its relatively recent addition of Python has allowed for the same numbers of coders to grow.
    LW Acessibility to the core software is ok and it got better in the last few versions.
    But yes you can't beat pure access to the source code...although I do have to say maintaining your own custom modifications outside
    the main blender development branch for a few versions is a pain in the ***. Thats why a LTS version is godsend for your own code.

Blender and Maya do have some incentitive in place (code style) to make even custom plugins accessible to others (scripteable) by default. So you don't
    have to reinvent the wheel all the time. Wich in LW you have to.

A few years ago I had to write an unwrap plugin for blender , wich used the standard unwrap command as a base for my own uv modifications, so it was
    done in less than half a day. (Including testing) ... In LW I would have to rewrite the unwrap functionality first wich would take an enormious amount of time.

Another side is sdk documentation, a lot is accessible, but not documented....or needs a lot of trial and error.

for CA or VFX, i'd rather use LightWave.
    supports large scenes too.

that's about to change, since the LW render engineers walked out the door.
    + rumor has it that 2020 is way too buggy.

so...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123