Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Screw the Doom & Gloom - LW Still Rulez In My Arsenal, and Will for Years to Come

Quote Originally Posted by TreyX View Post
    i was waiting to see how long it would take until the perpetual blender trolls hijacked my post and began using it as a blender promotion, and sure enough ...
    IF you have an issue with a post, please report it, thanks.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yes that's exactly right. For whatever reason the community generally thinks in the eyes of studios working on the next blockbuster and then compares the tools used there to LW. LW doesn't do some of that type of stuff very well, so yes, if you want to do that type of thing use something that can get it done.

Yep - exactly. I've discovered the cloth sculpting tools in Blender - amazing! - and cloth inflation dynamics which is great for pillows etc.

Minor for sure, but also adds that extra level of control.

My first attempt at making pillows in Blender. LW render.
    Attachment 148974
    I Suppose you simulate it or use the cloth brush?

Ehh..I really need to let the coffe cick in before I respond and quote someone that already has the answer in the lines I quote, it has happened too much lately now, either Iīve been fooled with decaffeinated coffee, or I am getting old.

The cloth brush, yes..cool, only touched it a bit, but as many other stuff, itīs in the area where I do not do much stuff for having a good enough use of it, it may surface someday perhaps, right now I am willing to go on a campaign streak though to get DPonts fractals ported.

Have to stay within lightwave for some fantasy stuff and space stuff, due to lack of stuff like the fractals, shape items, volume items, built in lensflares.

Also got a little better subsurface results with mixing skin and sigma in Lightwave, though not exactly as good as blenders..it may work, can probably puch it more and I got rid of the spot issues mostly as well.
    2020 subsurface with backscattering I think would have been nice to have now..but then again that release was not good enough, so itīs either a wait or give up and not updating to that in such case...Final LW release.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    It's a crying shame that the LW we're ostensibly "left with" is kind of a stability "dud". It contained a few SDK enhancements that would be fairly valuable going forward (esp. if NT/V don't contribute further development), but LW2020 itself has too many issues.

If there's no hope of NT/V selling LW, then at the least, it might be worth finding out if they'd even consider accepting crowdfunded payment to evaluate, and if feasible, produce one last "retrofit update" to backport some critical improvements from LW2020 back to LW2019 (f.e. attributes, FBX importer, tonemapping, and a very few other key, largely self-contained "infrastructure"-level changes/APIs). That would at least leave LW2019 in better shape for serving as a durable "legacy/retro-platform" going forward.

Oh well, just a thought.
    Yes I think they should at least make one last solid build of Lightwave to leave us users who plan on using it for years to come. It seems every release build from 2018 to 2020 has some kind of major issues. I have my doubts this will ever happen but it would be the right thing to do and it's the very least Newtek/VizRT can do for Lightwave and it's users.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Developers gone = No fix.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    IF you have an issue with a post, please report it, thanks.
    you can't be serious, steve. either you are playing nice to not po the trolls, or completely out of touch. either way, as a moderator, you share an equal portion of the blame for doing nothing for the last several years to stem the flow of blender discussions (and lightwave bashing) in the LightWave 3D User Community.
    HP ZBook
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v6 @ 3.00GHz
    32GB RAM
    Win 10 Pro, 64-bit
    NVIDIA Quadro P5000

Quote Originally Posted by TreyX View Post
    you can't be serious, steve. either you are playing nice to not po the trolls, or completely out of touch. either way, as a moderator, you share an equal portion of the blame for doing nothing for the last several years to stem the flow of blender discussions (and lightwave bashing) in the LightWave 3D User Community.
    Actually, we try to exercise a fair measure of tolerance on any side of a contentious issue, but that said I have taken many moderation measures to rein in excesses or violations of policy - which is in large measure why it is a LOT better than it was a year or two ago (and also why we don't see a few former regulars much any more).

It's by no means a simple matter to try to apply policies in an even-handed way, much less to be tuned in to every discussion - but yes, I am seriousl Self-appointed moderators will find themselves subjected to the same policy.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

TreyX, you don't see the extreme blender discussions (and lightwave bashing) because it has been moderated.

Like everyone else here, we're "out of touch" with too many things to do. Steve's advice to "report it" is spot on...whether it is a complaint about this forum or a bug/feature request for the software. It is not possible to spend time reading every post. That's why the reporting mechanism is there.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Methinks LW is absolutely perfect for a LW doodlerer, such as myself
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Ryzen 9 3950x - Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT - 64 GB Trident Z DDR4 CL14 3200Mhz

Methinks LW is absolutely perfect for a 3D doodlerer, such as myself
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
    To prevent Win 10 updates go to settings -> Network & Internet -> Change connection properties. Select network and switch on 'set as metered connection'. Haven't updated in a while, hopefully this is still there
    If you have Professional or Enterprise editions, you can set group policy to kill off updates FOREVER.
    You can of course do them manually though.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678