Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Screw the Doom & Gloom - LW Still Rulez In My Arsenal, and Will for Years to Come

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Read the signature, it says it all.
    Read your post, Says it all...

I've finally got my 2020 environment setup. The few changes to Modeler since 11.6 are nice, but Layout has had a lot of love. I feel Layout crashes a lot more frequently though, while Modeler remains a rock. Even if we see no more LW I'm going to be using this stuff forever.

I've been spending some time in Blender these last few weeks (2hrs per day or so) and it is very nice. I can actually make stuff. But I also spend 7hrs a day in LW for my day job and I must say Modeler and Layout are alright and I am not embarrassed to be using it. And we plan on upgrading to LWCad 2020. I have been able to learn enough Blender to actually use it as a great "plug-in" for LW. Also Blender is fun! I think LW was fun too when I was first learning to use it 20+ years ago, but I can't remember. I thought I'd actually use Blender today for a work project, but I realized I wasn't that fluent yet to get the work done in a timely manner. We have 3 LWaver's at my day job and tons of LWCad presets, so we'll be using LW until it quits working on Windows.
    Tim Parsons

I find Modler to be a lot of fun to use. I'm new to LWCAD. It brings a lot to the table, but I've still got a long way to go with it before it feels comfortable though. I'm watching the demonstration videos and wondering why mine doesn't work like that. Curse, reset and go again.

I suspect, or at least hope, there will be more "co-mingling" of various apps as time goes on.

I for one, bring Daz assets into LW, and via some 3rd party LW tools that I've acquired, and I don't know how they'd be done other than in LW, I can do things not really possible in the original software. Prime example is with furred animals; I can pose & animate the figures. In Daz, you can't; once the fur is generated for ta given pose, that's it. Exporting their dForce hair so far has been problematic.

I was posting something today on their forum that I did with a Snow Leopard, wishing I had decent but quick way to make a snow scene. I'd asked this some time ago here and got some of the most convoluted replies that I quickly shelved the idea.

But take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2WX...ature=emb_logo

At first i was trying to figure out why or when you'd ever want to put snow on a Hippo, but I think the point was versatility of usable shapes. Exporting geometry isn't the issue but the Shaders used may be something else, but time will tell.

Allessandro is the creator of the LAMH tool for Daz fur & hair, particularly animals, if you're not familiar. He was incidentally also the lead hair animator in the recent 3D version of "Lion King", so knows a few things about fur. Incredible flik if you haven't seen it. One of those very few, rare times that I think they actually improved on the original.

Point being, he also mentioned having recently taken an interest in using Blender, so be on the look out for some interesting things with it.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I've been spending some time in Blender these last few weeks (2hrs per day or so) and it is very nice. I can actually make stuff. But I also spend 7hrs a day in LW for my day job and I must say Modeler and Layout are alright and I am not embarrassed to be using it. And we plan on upgrading to LWCad 2020. I have been able to learn enough Blender to actually use it as a great "plug-in" for LW. Also Blender is fun! I think LW was fun too when I was first learning to use it 20+ years ago, but I can't remember. I thought I'd actually use Blender today for a work project, but I realized I wasn't that fluent yet to get the work done in a timely manner. We have 3 LWaver's at my day job and tons of LWCad presets, so we'll be using LW until it quits working on Windows.
    I've played around with Blender on and off as well but even though there are some things I really like about it I'm not sureI want to commit the huge time investment into learning it yet and figuring out how to adapt it for my work. Lightwave will still work for a long while yet so I'm in no rush. My backup plan is and has always been Modo since I already have experience with it and it would be a very small time investment for me to get up to speed again with it. I'm just not that thrilled about Modos licensing and that's probably the only thing that makes Blender somewhat attractive to learn as a backup software but not sure I want to do it yet.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I for one, bring Daz assets into LW, and via some 3rd party LW tools that I've acquired, and I don't know how they'd be done other than in LW, I can do things not really possible in the original software.
    Yes combining DAZ with another 3D package makes sense. However LightWave is one of the few applications that doesn't have a DAZ Bridge which makes everything a magnitude easier. And LW can be a pain working with FBX and characters compared to other apps from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I've been spending some time in Blender these last few weeks (2hrs per day or so) and it is very nice. I can actually make stuff. But I also spend 7hrs a day in LW for my day job and I must say Modeler and Layout are alright and I am not embarrassed to be using it.
    Maybe have a look at some modeling addons like HardOps, BoxCutter, Decalmachine, Machin3tools, Meshmachine, KitOps, Pro Align Tools or Fluent...

RR Daz does it to some degree
    https://www.liberty3d.com/store/tool...mocap-utility/

however Genesis 3, not 8, so might need an update ?

if unsure, contact Ryan.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    RR Daz does it to some degree

however Genesis 3, not 8, so might need an update ?

if unsure, contact Ryan.
    It's noted Genesis 3 Limited Support only and as far as I remember Ryan said it only works properly for Genesis 2 which is very old. Genesis 8 is out since long. DAZ Bridge is the way to go.

For LW import FBX or OBJ and texture manually. It works for most models but rigged characters with props or other specialties can cause issues in LW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I've played around with Blender on and off as well but even though there are some things I really like about it I'm not sureI want to commit the huge time investment into learning it yet and figuring out how to adapt it for my work. Lightwave will still work for a long while yet so I'm in no rush. My backup plan is and has always been Modo since I already have experience with it and it would be a very small time investment for me to get up to speed again with it. I'm just not that thrilled about Modos licensing and that's probably the only thing that makes Blender somewhat attractive to learn as a backup software but not sure I want to do it yet.
    Yeah I personally bought into Modo at 103 thru 601, but LW started its nice run so I stopped using it. At work we did get Modo with the CAD conversion addons and it was terrific for that, but that's all we used it for and that has now stopped working because of various PC upgrades and licensing issues with it. (Perpetual doesn't mean anything when the company gets bought out.) Modo would be a good choice for LW users because the two apps are very similar out of the box in the way they navigate the 3D space and generally work, but its not cheap and like you said the licensing now stinks. I have no experience with the later versions, but all the versions I have used were a crash/bug fest. The earlier versions of Blender were awful, but since they refactored the UI its pretty nice and easy to get the hang of. We won't be switching though, as LW is still a great piece of software, but to have a free plug-in that one can use to make and do the things that are hard in LW - you can't beat Blender.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I suspect, or at least hope, there will be more "co-mingling" of various apps as time goes on.

I for one, bring Daz assets into LW, and via some 3rd party LW tools that I've acquired, and I don't know how they'd be done other than in LW, I can do things not really possible in the original software. Prime example is with furred animals; I can pose & animate the figures. In Daz, you can't; once the fur is generated for ta given pose, that's it. Exporting their dForce hair so far has been problematic.

I was posting something today on their forum that I did with a Snow Leopard, wishing I had decent but quick way to make a snow scene. I'd asked this some time ago here and got some of the most convoluted replies that I quickly shelved the idea.

But take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2WX...ature=emb_logo

At first i was trying to figure out why or when you'd ever want to put snow on a Hippo, but I think the point was versatility of usable shapes. Exporting geometry isn't the issue but the Shaders used may be something else, but time will tell.

Allessandro is the creator of the LAMH tool for Daz fur & hair, particularly animals, if you're not familiar. He was incidentally also the lead hair animator in the recent 3D version of "Lion King", so knows a few things about fur. Incredible flik if you haven't seen it. One of those very few, rare times that I think they actually improved on the original.

Point being, he also mentioned having recently taken an interest in using Blender, so be on the look out for some interesting things with it.
    Yes, Allessandro and LAHM tools, and the Lion King, you and I had a little discussion on that on another thread, looked awesome both his tools and the Lion king.

Hair and fur and grooming is in my opinion one of the major issues/culprits in Lightwaveīs arsenal today....Still, and one of the reasons I prefer to try and work it out in blender.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Maybe have a look at some modeling addons like HardOps, BoxCutter, Decalmachine, Machin3tools, Meshmachine, KitOps, Pro Align Tools or Fluent...
    Hehe, I've got the first six already, thanks for the recommendations on the last two! I'd looked at Fluent, but wasn't entirely sure it'd add much beyond existing purchases, how would you characterize what it adds, given already owning the first six? I can definitely see added value for Pro Align Tools, thanks for that!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

I havenīt found a replacement or solution for the AW bezier bridge tool though, and yes..tried that curve bridge tool for blender, but itīs not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Hehe, I've got the first six already, thanks for the recommendations on the last two! I'd looked at Fluent, but wasn't entirely sure it'd add much beyond existing purchases, how would you characterize what it adds, given already owning the first six? I can definitely see added value for Pro Align Tools, thanks for that!
    Welcome John! The Fluent tool is very similar to BoxCutter. It has quite a different UI and flow to it but if you have the HOps and BC already there's not a huge benefit.

I basically use Fluent Power Trip's features like Pipe, Wire (including Coils, Springs, Multiwires with Twists) and Grid, those tools are great!

Basically allows you to click on a surface for a start point and a second click on the end point - Wire or Pipe is done. It then lets you modify its parameters (like Twist, Rings, Position, Tension etc).

So if you get Fluent, make sure to purchase (the slightly higher priced) Fluent : Power Trip, in my opinion it's worth it.
    Last edited by Marander; 10-27-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast