Thread: Best Network Switch for TC2 Elite / NDI Equipment

Best Network Switch for TC2 Elite / NDI Equipment

Hey,

I've bought a TC2 Elite and I am going to use it mainly on live events / dry hire. So it won't be in a steady environment.
    Besides the TC2 Elite I've bought some NDI <-> HDMI converters and will use NDI cameras in the future.
    I'm looking for a good network switch for my TC2 Elite to use it within a NDI workflow. It should have 24 1 GBE Ports and a 10 GbE Uplink and POE+ or even POE++.
    I've read mDNS and IGMP v3 would be good to have, too.

Can you suggest a network switch that works great within a NDI workflow and with a 10 GbE Uplink?

Greetings from Germany.
    Last edited by Ideenplantage; 10-12-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    We are using one of these in our mobile system: https://store.ui.com/collections/rou...usw-pro-24-poe
    We have the 48 port / 600W version at our studio. Both work really well for us.
    If you register with them, you can get access to their 'early access' store with some additional new switches (some with 2.5Gb LAN ports).
    I am sure others will chime in as well.

Grüße aus Kalifornien!

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + Mini 4K
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, PTZ1, Multiple Spark & Bird Dog converters
    reddogrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    We are using one of these in our mobile system: https://store.ui.com/collections/rou...usw-pro-24-poe
    We have the 48 port / 600W version at our studio. Both work really well for us.
    Thanks for that suggestion. We use UniFi stuff in our office, too. BUT: Can I use the switch standalone without an UniFi USG and still use DHCP and mDNS? I think the USG is doing the DHCP and mDNS, isn‘t it? And I don‘t want to have an additional USG in my TC2 Elite rack.

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    Great question.
    We use the Dream Machine Pro at the studio and a Dream Machine in our portable rack, so we don't use any cloud keys.
    I do believe it will work though, because we ran into an issue with out Dream Machine at a event location and ended up plugging their router directly into our switch - it worked perfectly. Of course, their router was providing the DHCP.
    Tricaster 460AE3 + Mini 4K
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, PTZ1, Multiple Spark & Bird Dog converters
    reddogrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    Great question.
    We use the Dream Machine Pro at the studio and a Dream Machine in our portable rack, so we don't use any cloud keys.
    I think the DreamMachine will do the DHCP and mDNS management and i would like to have just one switch (1HE) in my rack. No extra stuff like a DreamMachine or Security Gateway.
    I hoped there would be a switch from Netgear or Cisco or something like that that fits it all.