Thread: Cable Modem

Cable Modem

We have been having a lot of problems with our internet service. Had multi techs out to work and they even changed all cable into our building. Still can not get a good live stream out. Some of the problems are in their lines. 2 of the techs suggested that we stop using the modem provided by them as they do not like they way they work. But not sure about getting a new one yet as their line problem.

Never had to purchase a cable modem and looking for recommendations of which would be a good cable modem to use and attach our router to it. Would also need to have WiFi for the church building.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Run a speed test please. What speeds are you getting with your cable modem? What speed does the ISP claim you should get?

We the speeds we are to have is 100 down and 20 up. But all the test keep showing below 10 up. the down stays in the 90's. This is a on going issue with Cox and started 1 month ago. They even tried to tell me it was a school causing the problems in the lines. But we broadcast on a Sat. so that blew up in their face. It is Cox that does not want to face the fact that they have problems. And the only other provider in the area is AT&T and they want 3 times as much for the same rates.
    I also told the techs, I will not change the modem until they fix their pocket drop problem.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I assume that you are testing directly at the modem and taking the router out of the equation, Is there someone nearby with Cox that can run a speed test on their cable modem? Maybe even ask the school? The tech should have been able to scope the signal with their tester. If the levels are good, you should be able to get what they claim. If the levels are bad, you won’t get speed regardless if what modem you use. You mentioned line issues. In reality, THEY should provide what speeds they claim and are charging for. Not your responsibility to do anything more than pay the bill and receive what you are paying for. I understand “best effort” yada, yada, but it should be close to 20 up. Try and find out what others in the area are getting.