44 56.41%
  • Probably

13 16.67%
  • Maybe

13 16.67%
  • No

8 10.26%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Just wondering at this point. I most likely would.

Upgrading for the sake of it actually coming out? absolutely no.

Upgrading for the very reason of it having good enough features and improvements, possibly..but no absolute, depends on the status of the developing team, and perhaps also their policy around development.
    And not many nor any serious bugs crawlin as MauricioPc mentioned.

So douze points goes to...ehm, my vote goes to..maybe.

I have upgraded when the features on offer meant an improvement to my toolset.
    I realise that developers need paying, but I can't justify spending Ģ500 every year just because an upgrade is rushed out. If development has gone into hibernation because of how 2020 has panned out (meaning the year, not LW2020), I can cope with that. Id rather wait a few years for a good update, rather than a weak update be rushed out for the sake of hitting an annual release schedule.

I started using Lightwave when being a user felt like being in a fan club. I'd want to upgrade to support it. But money is tight, and I'd have to feel an upgrade is justified.
    So it's a 'maybe' from me.

There was a gap between 2015 and 1018, maybe there is restructuring and plans to release a version like between version 2020 and version 2023. even if there isn't one due for 2021, or 2022.

I seem to recall that there were lenthy periods between 7, 8 and 9 too. It's what I was used to, and honestly, I'm fine with that.

They still owe a working version of 2020. They already have my money for that. For some months now, and is completely unusable for me due to it's unreliability.

So, they'll have to have a SOLID, demonstrably fixed & working version of 202X.0 before I'd even consider it. And SEVERELY discounted as in should be a completely free upgrade for those who shelled out for 2020.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBeckwith View Post
    There was a gap between 2015 and 1018, maybe there is restructuring and plans to release a version like between version 2020 and version 2023. even if there isn't one due for 2021, or 2022.
    Well, good luck with that. Seems like you're looking back at the 2015-2018 gap with extremely rosy-colored glasses (esp. overlooking customer attrition), but sure, why not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    I seem to recall that there were lenthy periods between 7, 8 and 9 too. It's what I was used to, and honestly, I'm fine with that.
    There were lengthy periods, but there were also development discussions w.r.t. Open Beta, and other "ongoing development" communication in those periods. This bears little resemblance.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-09-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

If it comes out under the banner of a different owner, absolutely yes! To show support. I know it won't come out under the NT/Vizrt banner, so this is a stupid pole.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    If it comes out under the banner of a different owner, absolutely yes! To show support. I know it won't come out under the NT/Vizrt banner, so this is a stupid pole.
    I agree that under Vizrt, a 2021 seems extremely unlikely, especially given the circumstances of the past month, month and a half. I would definitely throw in with a new owner, initially to show support and with luck, because they take the software in the direction it needs go... Forward.

Without guarantees that the LW will develop further, I cannot now decide to buy the 2020 version. If it is announced that LW will be released further, I will start by purchasing the 2020 version (although a number of its bugs confuse me a lot).
    But if it turns out that the LW will no longer exist - neither within Newtek / Vizrt, nor within the framework of another owner's company - I will switch to Houdini Indie, relying on LW.
    But I still really hope that the LW will continue his glorious campaign! )

I would instantly if it were ported under Linux. I don't hold my breath, though.

i love using LW. I don't want to learn a new SW program at my age. I would definitely support it if it was made available in 2021. I was trying to save for it anyways. Always have!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    They still owe a working version of 2020. They already have my money for that. For some months now, and is completely unusable for me due to it's unreliability.

So, they'll have to have a SOLID, demonstrably fixed & working version of 202X.0 before I'd even consider it. And SEVERELY discounted as in should be a completely free upgrade for those who shelled out for 2020.
    I agree. Too often I need to force layout.exe to stop, during an unstopable playback.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    I would definitely throw in with a new owner, initially to show support and with luck, because they take the software in the direction it needs go... Forward.
    Watched that Phillip Nelson video on YT where he stated that he had tried to buy LW from NT a few years ago when he left, and that he still hadn't given up on that. Maybe now would be a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    I hope he can try and bring interested parties to support that buy. NewTek, sell the damn thing.
    I love advice like this, it makes everything so clear and easy. Find some guy, sell him LW. Piece of cake, so let's quit shilly-shallying.

In the real world, supposing there was a desire to find a new home for LW (and I'm not saying there is), a responsible vendor that cared about its loyal customer base would presumably want to find a good home for the product, one that held out at least a reasonable hope of stability, capacity, business acumen, funding, etc., etc. And even then, myriad legal details, entanglements and potential pitfalls might arise that would have to be amicably (or at least agreeably) resolved by all parties. No problem, right? Right?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast