44 56.41%
  • Probably

13 16.67%
  • Maybe

13 16.67%
  • No

8 10.26%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post

"volumetric lights in sprite mode"

Yeah I can see that.
    Renders superfast, with fast iteration viewport feedback.. and it had a special look to it, you canīt have that fast light background with the new volumetric system,looks also hard to match.

workaround if you would want that background and lights, do it in 2015 and render out background, open the scene in 2019 and render objects, ships etc on top of that.

And canīt use the simbiont shaders either in 2019, had some nifty shaders..this sample, the sun..( you can get there, takes a bit of more work though)

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Apart from that interchange issue, I have the volume lightīs I would liked to have(sprite mode mostly), then some simbiont shaders...and all those textures available there.
    Yeah, I find it extremely telling how few discuss or show VFX-style volumetric lighting tricks (engine flares, weapon flares, weapons discharges, etc.) in LW any longer -- there's a reason for that, and it highlights a pretty significant loss of functionality from moving to the new render engine.

LW volumetric lights each having their own discrete volumetric scattering medium was critical to many of those tricks. Having so many vlights proximal to each other affecting the same common scattering medium just turns into a big emissive mess. Previously, users could also use selecting between full-volumetric and sprite-based rendering to control perf-vs-quality on a use-by-use basis, as well. Now, volumetric rendering is painfully slow, and trying to use complex node networks to differentiate scattering between vlights just worsens an already poorly performant situation.

Considering how important those kinds of VFX-style shots and uses were in building LW's popularity in the first place, and where LW is now, feels like baby, bathwater, tub, soap, and a good portion of the house were all tossed out. Oh well, guess that functionality just wasn't "important" any longer.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-19-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Uhhhhhh, what other revenue stream could a commercial software product use?
    That's kind of my point - either way, subscription or perpetual, LW was destined to die. Just not enough potential users to go around. The best business to be in is the toilet paper business - everybody needs and uses it.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Yeah, I find it extremely telling how few discuss or show VFX-style volumetric lighting tricks (engine flares, weapon flares, weapons discharges, etc.) in LW any longer -- there's a reason for that, and it highlights a pretty significant loss of functionality from moving to the new render engine.

LW volumetric lights each having their own discrete volumetric scattering medium was critical to many of those tricks. Having so many vlights proximal to each other affecting the same common scattering medium just turns into a big emissive mess. Previously, users could also use selecting between full-volumetric and sprite-based rendering to control perf-vs-quality on a use-by-use basis, as well. Now, volumetric rendering is painfully slow, and trying to use complex node networks to differentiate scattering between vlights just worsens an already poorly performant situation.

Considering how important those kinds of VFX-style shots and uses were in building LW's popularity in the first place, and where LW is now, feels like baby, bathwater, tub, soap, and a good portion of the house were all tossed out. Oh well, guess that functionality just wasn't "important" any longer.
    Yes, I agree with some of that.

Had to switch to 2015 a while today to fiddle around with it again, installed the newer dpont fractals with warping that contains, smoke, fluid, turbulence procedurals etc...I never tested that with sprite lights before..some really nice backgrounds effect at a fraction of the time it takes to work with 2019 volumetric lights and messing with textures in full volume mode there, perhaps 4.7 seconds vs, a couple of minutes for refining the viewport to final.
    I donīt mind the fuller volumetric global stuff for some things though, but itīs too darn slow with many lights etc, and other volumetric items, but would have been nice to have the sprite lights being able to be engaged like the old legacy voxel sprite system as well.
    May record it to showcase speed and the looks of that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Well the jump from LW11 to 2020 would have been a very nice upgrade for you.
    Indeed, especially given I also took advantage of the LWCAD sale. So many new tools!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234