View Poll Results: Will you upgrade?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 56.41%
  • Probably

    13 16.67%
  • Maybe

    13 16.67%
  • No

    8 10.26%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Thread: Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

  1. #31
    Registered User jimzombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55
    I'm a bit on the fense about an upgrade. Before buying into 2020 I hadn't updated since 11 (which was my first update since buying an existing 9 licence). I've been waiting for some serious modeler love.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by jimzombie View Post
    I'm a bit on the fense about an upgrade. Before buying into 2020 I hadn't updated since 11 (which was my first update since buying an existing 9 licence). I've been waiting for some serious modeler love.
    Well the jump from LW11 to 2020 would have been a very nice upgrade for you.
    Tim Parsons

  3. #33
    Make Your Films Effective DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,032
    I’m on version 8 so upgrading to 2020 should be a big leap for me.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscreetFX View Post
    I’m on version 8 so upgrading to 2020 should be a big leap for me.
    Oh my! I can't even go back to 2015 anymore it feels so dated. You should definitely upgrade, even if 2020 is the last of LW. Modeling in the Layout view is worth the upgrade alone and the camera matching tools are nice too.
    Tim Parsons

  5. #35
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Oh my! I can't even go back to 2015 anymore it feels so dated. You should definitely upgrade, even if 2020 is the last of LW. Modeling in the Layout view is worth the upgrade alone and the camera matching tools are nice too.
    2015 has itīs value, I need it to export mdd and fbx properly to blender, which later lw version doesnīt seem to handle.
    And some 32 bit modeling tools 2019 canīt use due to only 64 bit.
    2015 also has the volumetric sprite mode which I lack in 2019.

    lw 8, well..the oldest version I had was 9.6 I think..or tried, lw10, the fun stuff started to happen around 2015 I think, with the exception for some of those builds being buggy and crashy.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    2015 has itīs value, I need it to export mdd and fbx properly to blender, which later lw version doesnīt seem to handle.
    Probably due to the LWO upgrade?

    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    And some 32 bit modeling tools 2019 canīt use due to only 64 bit.
    32bit - so yesterday.


    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    2015 also has the volumetric sprite mode which I lack in 2019.
    Yeah I can see that.

    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    lw 8, well..the oldest version I had was 9.6 I think..or tried, lw10, the fun stuff started to happen around 2015 I think, with the exception for some of those builds being buggy and crashy.
    2015 was pretty solid. I just can't go back.

    Would we be having this thread if everybody had kept up to date with LW? Probably not, but LW also probably should have kept up with the times for sure. Subscription would have killed LW and perpetual licensing did kill LW. If Blender didn't exist LW would be in good shape. Blender has had 20 million downloads but lets be real, probably only 1 million or so actually "use" it. If LW had gotten 2% of that customer base we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Tim Parsons

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    . . . Subscription would have killed LW and perpetual licensing did kill LW. . . .
    Uhhhhhh, what other revenue stream could a commercial software product use?

    I mean, how many people (NOT Corporations) "donate" to Bl*nd*r Foundation or subscribe to Bl*nd*r Cloud?

  8. #38
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,931
    Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    I mean, how many people (NOT Corporations) "donate" to Bl*nd*r Foundation or subscribe to Bl*nd*r Cloud?
    Can I just say I find it kind of funny when people write about "B", or "[B]", or "Bl*nd*r", and similar variants? As far as I know, while the forum software does block some curse words and the like, this is not true for the word "Blender". I guess people are trying to be considerate guests, but it seems a little weird.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    1,072
    Thanks for the clarification, but there is that abstract tipping point which no one wants to reach and be modded..
    Last edited by TheLexx; 10-19-2020 at 11:49 AM.

  10. #40
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,931
    I understand. There's a difference between mentioning another applications in an appropriate context and promoting it, but setting aside the need for some good judgement around that somewhat fuzzy line, whether you spell the application name out in full or not wouldn't be the determining factor.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  11. #41
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Can I just say I find it kind of funny when people write about "B", or "[B]", or "Bl*nd*r", and similar variants? As far as I know, while the forum software does block some curse words and the like, this is not true for the word "Blender". I guess people are trying to be considerate guests, but it seems a little weird.
    A lot of things are weird, especially when restrictions are imposed, such as not talking about development, or naming that which we shouldnt donīt talk about (not voldemort)
    Then again itīs really not weird, itīs just ridiculous, both situations, why saying "B" ? when you can be honest, but a pain in the...by saying "Blender" and that is what it means.
    I am not without sin, I think I even have the variant of "mixer"

    My opinion anyway..could be wrong ..could be right.

  12. #42
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I understand. There's a difference between mentioning another applications in an appropriate context and promoting it, but setting aside the need for some good judgement around that somewhat fuzzy line, whether you spell the application name out in full or not wouldn't be the determining factor.
    What you as moderator or the forum rules says, is however one thing..how people find it appropiate to mention "B" in all itīs full glory in a lot of threads, thatīs another thing a bit to the side of the rules and what you as a moderator has as guidelines.

    Then we have to be consistent donīt we.
    So we also have "H" "M" And "M" and "C" and a bunch more to make the communication easier to understand.

    So letīs talk about something more constructive and interesting..
    When will the next "L" version come out? anyone with insight should I save money or spend on something else?

  13. #43
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    ...how many people (NOT Corporations) "donate" to Bl*nd*r Foundation or subscribe to Bl*nd*r Cloud?
    The B cloud displays its statistics. The last I looked, it was pulling in $40k per month. I'm sure as a non-profit, the foundation also publishes its income somewhere. There are plenty of other revenue streams (as demonstrated by the B cloud and from asset market/software development companies like Daz and Reallusion).

    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Can I just say I find it kind of funny when people write about "B", or "[B]", or "Bl*nd*r", and similar variants? As far as I know, while the forum software does block some curse words and the like, this is not true for the word "Blender". I guess people are trying to be considerate guests, but it seems a little weird.
    It has been my practice to only mention B because (while it is a tool in my box) there is no need for any promotion of it here...where I come to learn and discuss LW. However, in terms of SEO, I'm realizing the fault of this practice. If we were all spelling out the name, these LW forums could rank well in Google searches for B.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

  14. #44
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Probably due to the LWO upgrade?



    32bit - so yesterday.




    Yeah I can see that.



    2015 was pretty solid. I just can't go back.

    Would we be having this thread if everybody had kept up to date with LW? Probably not, but LW also probably should have kept up with the times for sure. Subscription would have killed LW and perpetual licensing did kill LW. If Blender didn't exist LW would be in good shape. Blender has had 20 million downloads but lets be real, probably only 1 million or so actually "use" it. If LW had gotten 2% of that customer base we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Yes...I suspect the fbx not working or mdd not properly working has to do with the Lwo update, I mentioned that in the ..donīt be offended, the 1001 ways to use blender and Lightwave together thread.

    Apart from that interchange issue, I have the volume lightīs I would liked to have(sprite mode mostly), then some simbiont shaders...and all those textures available there.

    32 bit, yesterday..all my troubles was far away, with 64 bit..you exclude modeling tasks you simply can not perform with 2019, there is a reason it says retrograder in my profile, a reminder of that somethings were done better in yesterday, if they arenīt improved to replace the days of yesterday with better things tomorrow..something like that..ehh

  15. #45
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The B cloud displays its statistics. The last I looked, it was pulling in $40k per month. I'm sure as a non-profit, the foundation also publishes its income somewhere. There are plenty of other revenue streams (as demonstrated by the B cloud and from asset market/software development companies like Daz and Reallusion).



    It has been my practice to only mention B because (while it is a tool in my box) there is no need for any promotion of it here...where I come to learn and discuss LW. However, in terms of SEO, I'm realizing the fault of this practice. If we were all spelling out the name, these LW forums could rank well in Google searches for B.
    Guess we have to define and classify what promotion of a software is..first of all to avoid any confusion and the "weird" situation when mentioning "B"..

    • Just mentionining it by name?
    • How frequent that is mentioned?
    • New release is out?
    • New features?
    • How it is handling this or that in terms of capabilities etc?
    • The amount of refering to what it is capable of or itīs name etc?



    Intentionally or unintentionally, there is a risc that "B" getīs promoted..even if itīs not a direct promotion, thereīs always hidden factors that could qualify as "promotion"
    I myself in the 1001 ways of using blender and lightwave together, points out issues where I feel I can do something better in one software, and itīs not working nicely in the other..but this is purely isolated towards that very question/issue of technical matters, and isnīt intended to serve as promotion, more to put light on where something fails and where it could be done better..and that means you have to reference the better alternative, it will still be seen as such by users to a certain degree.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •