44 56.41%
  • Probably

13 16.67%
  • Maybe

13 16.67%
  • No

8 10.26%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

there is no sanctuary....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    If it comes out under the banner of a different owner, absolutely yes! To show support. I know it won't come out under the NT/Vizrt banner, so this is a stupid pole.
    I don't know if I'd call it stupid any more than I'd call your post racist (your spell checker didn't help you), I find the results so far pretty interesting.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    I seem to recall that there were lenthy periods between 7, 8 and 9 too. It's what I was used to, and honestly, I'm fine with that.
    You can always check the handy LightWave History page that contains every version ever released... https://is.gd/IcjIvs

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I love advice like this, it makes everything so clear and easy. Find some guy, sell him LW. Piece of cake, so let's quit shilly-shallying.

In the real world, supposing there was a desire to find a new home for LW (and I'm not saying there is), a responsible vendor that cared about its loyal customer base would presumably want to find a good home for the product, one that held out at least a reasonable hope of stability, capacity, business acumen, funding, etc., etc. And even then, myriad legal details, entanglements and potential pitfalls might arise that would have to be amicably (or at least agreeably) resolved by all parties. No problem, right? Right?
    jweide took rather the same approach in a reply on another post.

But the fact is, three quarters of the work was done when Newtek was valuated when it was purchased by Vizrt; as a an IP owned by Newtek, Lightwave had to be calculated into that valuation.

So at a minimum, the total value of Lightwave, it's licensing, and technology have all undergone that process.

The outright sale of it is a reasonably known value, as well as the relative intricacies of its wholly-owned and licensed technologies.

As far as the business acumen of a potential buyer / buyers... Well, show me the scale that can accurately measure that given any number of variables for any technology-based startup. It is literally a crapshoot, regardless of the skills or desires of the individual or teams involved. You could honestly have one of the best products with the most conscientious and devoted team, a stable funding base, great marketing and an enthusiastic user base and still fail.

In this situation for us, the end-users / customers, it really boils down to a single question; will there be future development and releases of Lightwave?

If the answer with Vizrt is no, then it is only logical that regardless of any number of unquantifiable variables, the user base wants to see Lightwave development continue and would want it to be sold to an individual / individuals with that intent.

I personally voted Yes to this poll; if Vizrt produces LW2021, I will buy it. I just think that it seems unlikely at this point that they will, given the loss and / or reassignment of key developers with intimate knowledge of the technology.

All that to say, YES... I would prefer a future where, despite the challenges, there was an unequivocated clear answer that Lightwave will continue development.

If that is Vizrt's intent, fine.

If it isn't, then it doesn't matter who buys it.... It will be a challenge regardless.
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 10-10-2020 at 10:51 AM.

I voted yes, so why not to upgrade even if this is Vizrt...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I don't know if I'd call it stupid any more than I'd call your post racist (your spell checker didn't help you), I find the results so far pretty interesting.
    Yeah, just having with it, hence the .
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    Luckily I haven't invested a lot of money into LW, but I feel sorry for those who have and have to deal with you lately playing down the worries of the customers.
    I'm not playing anything down, and understand completely how people feel. I just get tired of simplistic 'solutions' being offered, as it it would be easy to make everything right if only they would do this or that. (And btw, "NewTek, sell the damn thing" sure sounds like advice...)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I'm not playing anything down, and understand completely how people feel. I just get tired of simplistic 'solutions' being offered, as it it would be easy to make everything right if only they would do this or that. (And btw, "NewTek, sell the damn thing" sure sounds like advice...)
    i left the forums here 3 years ago because of so much blender bs and griping about the future of LW, updates, ad nausea. interesting coming back now, and seeing the very same people with the same rants, although now a bit more understandable with newtek's sale. the more things change, the more they stay the same...
    Last edited by TreyX; 10-11-2020 at 01:29 AM.

I will upgrade depending on what is giving me. I'm still using 2015 and 2018 but don't discard updating obviously...on the other hand, Lightwave was purchased when vizRT bought Newtek as a pack...how much would you think vizRT would you think they will shell it for? How much would you think Newtek would have sold it for before vizRT bought it? How much would you think its currently value is?
    Last edited by inakito; 10-11-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah, just having with it, hence the .
    Yeah, just having FUN with it, hence the
    Tim Parsons

Question:

Why would a new owner of a property want to invest in it, if all it does is whining and bickering?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

I would likely upgrade if only to capitalize on my existing lightwave knowledge, but if and only if this hypothetical lw 2021 actually is an upgrade, because that would be proof of life, not just a new number and a recompile with some bug fixes. I don't see that as very likely however. I think its been shelved for good, even if they may still sell it for a while.

It is a real shame, because I felt like the team had been on a great path with the types of improvements they were making, lots of under the radar but good stuff, primarily usability improvements, I know people swear by 2015, but lw2019 was SOO much better from a usability standpoint. I haven't yet upgraded to 2020, but I had planned to before the wheels finally came off the lightwave bus.

Now, though, even if they do somehow get the thing up and running again what would the direction be? are the people responsible for the most recent improvements even AT Newtek anymore in any capacity?

there is no sanctuary....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Question:

Why would a new owner of a property want to invest in it, if all it does is whining and bickering?
    Actually, if you put just a few people on ignore it’s pretty positive. Recommended, I hope Viz does the same.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Question:

I think that is pretty much the norm for practically any software, let alone 3d application software. A brief review of the forums of practically any other 3d application reveals plenty of "whining and bickering".

Actually, it's standard for just about any product I can think of. Spend ten or fifteen minutes on Amazon reading buyer reviews and that becomes very obvious. And yet, despite the complaints, manufacturers keep pumping out their product.

As to why they would want to do it, that should be obvious. It's either love or money, and in Vizrt's case, I don't think it's love.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Actually, if you put just a few people on ignore it’s pretty positive. Recommended, I hope Viz does the same.
    I thought the ignore function already was hardcoded, or applied generally by vizrt/newtek on all the lw customers.(for some of the crucial parts)

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Question:

Assuming that you mean it's the property's users that are doing the whining and bickering (yes, you should re-read the above quote), then I think this poll shows (as at the time of writing where over 50% of voters voted yes) that interestingly it's the 'silent majority' that make up the core value of the property.

If I were a potential buyer then these types of data would be very interesting to me. Moreso than visiting public forums and absorbing the year in - year out negativity of the same minority of people who obviously have FAR too much time on their hands.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 10-15-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast