Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm basically retired now anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING THIS!!!

(I'm never doing anything like this ever again)
    I hope Bob's widow had a policy with Merry Widow Insurance, they cover the four stages of death...grief, anger, acceptance, cash!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    I hope Bob's widow had a policy with Merry Widow Insurance, they cover the four stages of death...grief, anger, acceptance, cash!
    This is a Lightwave forum, if there was ever a big payoff to be had here, it vanished long ago.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

I'm still a student of LW and not a full-time 3D artist, so I won't be losing a job. I am primarily interested in it for creating VFX, game assets, and imagery for books. I have used some of the images in a book already. For me, it is and will always be a perfectly good software program for creating 2 and 3D imagery and effects. And the basic concepts you learn apply to other programs, so there is no time, in my mind, being wasted, especially since I enjoy the interface. I don't mind the walls I hit with LW; I take them all as challenges to figure out.

I say 7 errors in sentence. I don't believe you need the comma or the exclamation mark.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post

I say 7 errors in sentence. I don't believe you need the comma or the exclamation mark.
    I think the words were wrong too, it should be: "Bob went home, and was never seen again."
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

"Bob wept."
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

"Bob, known as 'John W.', was heard from again, briefly.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Now I wonder if Bob's your uncle...

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    I guess Lightwave3D is a fun hobby, I still do an occasional book cover or such. Are there any people that will actually lose a job that they've been using Lightwave on? (I don't mean NT employees.)
    Did I miss something or am I not understanding your question correctly? Have they stopped making Lightwave? Will there not be future releases? What do you mean by losing a job because fo Lightwave?

Lightwave is a crucial part of my professional workflow so I hope its not going anywhere... if I was forced to switch I guess it would be Blender for me.
    Last edited by scott.newman.ct; 11-10-2020 at 02:05 AM.
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa
    http://www.youtube.com/user/independentvfx

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by scott.newman.ct View Post
    Did I miss something or am I not understanding your question correctly? Have they stopped making Lightwave? Will there not be future releases?
    There is no commitment to LW by VizRt beyond the current LW2020 release and the LW development team are either redeployed or let go.

I would point you to the thread where this was discussed but I seem unable to access old LW discussions, so I'm wondering what's going on..
    Last edited by pauland; 11-10-2020 at 03:50 AM.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Did I miss something or am I not understanding your question correctly? Have they stopped making Lightwave? Will there not be future releases?
    There seems to have been some changes that have occurred within NewTek since its acquisition by VizRT and since then there have been a LOT of speculation about LightWave's future by individuals who were connected to LightWave.

There has been no official statement from NewTek/VizRT on LightWave's future but if you really want to learn where all the speculation and rumours began, here's the link.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...pening-with-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Interesting reasoning. Does anyone think Scalahan1's conclusions have any merit?
    Resurrected:

It's 4.

"How are you?" asked Bob!

You don't need the comma after the speech marks as the speech contains a question mark, signalling an end to the sentence. If there were no question mark (or exclamation mark) then there *would* be a comma, but it would still be inside the speech marks.

More importantly, I'd like to know why it's so surprising to the writer that Bob was asking after the person referred to in the sentence? Why was this unusual? Was Bob mute, perhaps he hadn't spoken since the abseiling mishap six months prior? Was Bob a social pariah that no one cared for? Was Bob the family dog, not given to sudden outbursts of English (which would also make the mistakes easier to overlook)? Maybe Bob was involved in the same calamity that had befallen the subject referred to, and was just in a general state of exclamation, thoroughly dazed by recent incidents.

At the very least, I'd like to ask Bob, "Are you okay?"
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Oh boy....

I really hope they keep Lightwave going and are able to take it from strength to strength. I love this package.
    Scott

Cape Town, South Africa
    http://www.youtube.com/user/independentvfx

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Oh boy....

I really hope they keep Lightwave going and are able to take it from strength to strength. I love this package.
    So say we all.

Oh boy....

Same. I will continue to use it until the wheels fall off (it stops working).

But right now, many events have suggested that future development and improvement of Lightwave is doubtful.

I find its ok to be concerned but the witch hunt people have made here is not ok. People should be happy LW lasted this long. That said,as a non-lw user i believe in order for this app to survive it needs a TOTAL redesign,away from the DOS-look, better workflow and a unified modeler/layout. Lw is very powerful but its just so much wrong about it and a pain for new users to lern, everytime i try it am WTF is this,i cant even disc-rotate the viewport in modeler .. And people used to complain about blender .. Anyway,i believe newtek knew long time that LW is going nowhere and you folks knew it too. So be thankful for the time,if you are a pro in it,stay,if not,try to expand your horizon but people need to stop crying the whole time. (Not adressed at anyone particular,but need to be written affter reading so much bull here and there.specially the what is happening with LW thread)
    Last edited by Poris; 11-11-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123