Thread: Lightwave licensing system and Windows

Lightwave licensing system and Windows

I'm seeing some LW users freaking out on facebook and I'm told in the LW discord group as well about that there is supposedly some issue with the licensing system and Windows updates. I'm pretty sure that LW does not need or use a server to activate and I personally don't foresee any issues but many are freaking and scrambling to move their production to other software because of what they are hearing. Has anyone else heard about this? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MauricioPC View Post
    My understanding is that you just drag and drop and license and that’s it. There’s no activation server I believe.
    The drag and drop thing has never worked for me to I manually place the file in it's proper location. Ya that's my understanding as well as far as I understand Lightwave does not rely on any online activation system.

... but it will check your local network for another running copy.

Thanks to the arcane goofiness to get two systems to see each other for just simple file transferring with Windows10, I've yet to get that to work. Actually, it did exactly once when I first connect laptop, but could never get it to again.

YET, if I fire up Layout or Modeler on one system & it's already already running on the other, it'll come up in Discovery mode. Don't know if that's a clue or not.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I'm seeing some LW users freaking out on facebook and I'm told in the LW discord group as well about that there is supposedly some issue with the licensing system and Windows updates...
    This addresses it: https://www.liberty3d.com/2017/12/8995/

That is no reason for freaking out.

However, there is a valid concern if NewTek is responsible for some online services to enable or verify the license...and if that service may be harmed if LW "support" ends. I have not bothered to investigate LW licensing mechanisms too deeply and it is probably a taboo topic to be discussed extensively here (avoiding piracy, etc). There are network tools one can use to see if LW is connecting to a remote server to validate a license. Even without these network tools, one could try to start up a freshly licensed LW installation while your system is disconnected from a network. If it still works, you know there's no phoning home to NT.

You're even safer, in terms of LW longevity, if your license is still associated with a hardware dongle.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    This addresses it: https://www.liberty3d.com/2017/12/8995/

That is no reason for freaking out.

However, there is a valid concern if NewTek is responsible for some online services to enable or verify the license...and if that service may be harmed if LW "support" ends. I have not bothered to investigate LW licensing mechanisms too deeply and it is probably a taboo topic to be discussed extensively here (avoiding piracy, etc). There are network tools one can use to see if LW is connecting to a remote server to validate a license. Even without these network tools, one could try to start up a freshly licensed LW installation while your system is disconnected from a network. If it still works, you know there's no phoning home to NT.

You're even safer, in terms of LW longevity, if your license is still associated with a hardware dongle.
    Ya that's probably the issue they are talking about that is being blown out of proportion. Out of curiosity I should try installing Lightwave on a computer that has no access to the internet just to see if it works. I'm guessing it will work just fine.

It does. The Windows partition on my Mac is never ever connected to the internet. Just drag the license file into the window when installing Lightwave and you're done.

I just installed and activated 2020 without an internet connection and all works fine.

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    The secret is to pay attention to the message that's displayed when it does come up in Disco mode. The About box will say that the licence is in use somewhere else in the network, that it has found keys but none that are useable, or similar. There's no mystery.

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3