Thread: Tricaster TC-100 interal video edition card

Tricaster TC-100 interal video edition card

Hello friends:

Please, anyone know the name and model of PCI interal video-edition card of TC-100 Tricaster?

Thanks!!
    Jose.

The video IO PCI card used by the TriCaster is custom made by NewTek. I guess technically is the 'Video Toaster PCI' card, but connected to a TriCaster video IO panel.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks kanep.

Well, I have an Tricaster TC-100 that I can use for streaming video for YouTube, but this model has Windows XP, an very old motherboard and 1 Gb of Ram, but thanks to that Toaster PCI it can manage 3 cameras, real time video, titles and much more. In theory is still today an very good option for streaming, but it needs an external PC with video capture to capture “Program” video from Tricaster and send streams, because PC functions outside of application environment are not possible.

I noticed that Windows XP haven’t any PCI driver installed for Toaster card. I think that application has that internal drivers to detect Toaster and work with it.

I’m thinking in to buy an micro atx motherboard with i3 or i5 processor, 8 Gb Ram and 512Mb of graphic card, with PCI Slot in order to adapt this motherboard to Tricaster box, and plug the Toaster PCI. My only objective is upgrade the PC part in order to use applications more recent (for streaming video by example) and not need to use external PC for it.

I don’t know if Tricaster application can run on Windows 10, but I do not want to use it. I’m content with use Windows 7. I know that others Apps can’t interact with Tricaster software, but I can plug an USB DVI video capture that get program video from DVI Out and now I can manage this real time video with other third applications for stream on same Tricaster box.

I also don’t know if Tricaster software will work with my actual license key. I don’t know if license serial is attached and calculated by Toaster serial card or by PC motherboard installation. In that case the Tricaster software will ask me for an different serial key, but I think that Newtek would have mercy of us and can generate it. After all, we have already paid for that software.

Does the idea seem good?

Thanks!!
    Jose.
    Last edited by Fossy; 10-08-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossy View Post
    Thanks kanep.

Well, I have an Tricaster TC-100 that I can use for streaming video for YouTube, but this model has Windows XP, an very old motherboard and 1 Gb of Ram, but thanks to that Toaster PCI it can manage 3 cameras, real time video, titles and much more. In theory is still today an very good option for streaming, but it needs an external PC with video capture to capture “Program” video from Tricaster and send streams, because PC functions outside of application environment are not possible.

I noticed that Windows XP haven’t any PCI driver installed for Toaster card. I think that application has that internal drivers to detect Toaster and work with it.

I’m thinking in to buy an micro atx motherboard with i3 or i5 processor, 8 Gb Ram and 512Mb of graphic card, with PCI Slot in order to adapt this motherboard to Tricaster box, and plug the Toaster PCI. My only objective is upgrade the PC part in order to use applications more recent (for streaming video by example) and not need to use external PC for it.

I don’t know if Tricaster application can run on Windows 10, but I do not want to use it. I’m content with use Windows 7. I know that others Apps can’t interact with Tricaster software, but I can plug an USB DVI video capture that get program video from DVI Out and now I can manage this real time video with other third applications for stream on same Tricaster box.

I also don’t know if Tricaster software will work with my actual license key. I don’t know if license serial is attached and calculated by Toaster serial card or by PC motherboard installation. In that case the Tricaster software will ask me for an different serial key, but I think that Newtek would have mercy of us and can generate it. After all, we have already paid for that software.

Does the idea seem good?

Thanks!!
    Jose.
    Hey Jose,

You can run TriCaster in Windowed mode if you hold shift while you launch it, and the video output is avaliable by way of the "VT Video" DirectShow filter. However it's extremely unlikely you'll find anything for Windows XP capable of streaming to the sites that you want to.

The hardware drivers will work with Windows 10 (I've seen VT systems running on the latest builds), but even if you copy the software over to a new machine you are right that the license will not work. Easiest thing to do here is to just capture the output of the TriCaster into a computer running OBS or similar.
    Central Control - MIDI, OSC and StreamDeck control for TriCaster and 3Play - centralcontrol.io

Thanks Joedemax.

I'm upgrading RAM. Tricaster has 1 Gb (2x512Mb) and I have an DDR400 module of 1 Gb. I will swap one 512Mb by 1Gb to get 1,5 Gb (while I buy another 1Gb module).

With that RAM upgrade, I will upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 64 bit (upgrade, not new install). I hope that Windows 7 works good for my purposses, and Tricaster software work good because I made an upgrade, not an new install.

If windows 7 is slow, or system is slow when send video stream, I will try change motherboard by an ITX with i5, 8 Gb Ram and Windows 10 with VMware and Tricaster HDD partition virtualized with their Windows XP as from factory without touch. I know this is two machines in one, but I can get the DVI out (program) through DVI-HDMI video capture for Windows 10 and manage all in one box.

I would like know your opinion and Kanep.

Thanks!.
    Jose.

No-one asked for my opinion, but if I may be candid, I think this effort will likely not work out well, and that you'd be better advised to try to find a second hand TC a generation or two newer.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have to agree. The OS version of that TriCaster is 32-bit Windows XP. You are talking about trying to bring it forward to software and drivers that it was never developed for.

Current TriCaster system run on Windows 10 64-bit, but this is completely different video IO hardware then what was used on the TriCaster model you are talking about.

I think your best option is to use it as a trade in to a new TriCaster model that a newer OS and over ten years of new functionally that has been added to the product.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Joedemax.

I'm upgrading RAM. Tricaster has 1 Gb (2x512Mb) and I have an DDR400 module of 1 Gb. I will swap one 512Mb by 1Gb to get 1,5 Gb (while I buy another 1Gb module).
    I'm certainly no expert but in my limited past experience PC's prefer to have matching sticks of RAM in the paired slots. I'd wait until I had two matching sticks of RAM before attempting to upgrade.
    If I am wrong please, someone correct me. Just don't want this man "borking" his system.

If windows 7 is slow, or system is slow when send video stream, I will try change motherboard by an ITX with i5, 8 Gb Ram and Windows 10 with VMware and Tricaster HDD partition virtualized with their Windows XP as from factory without touch. I know this is two machines in one, but I can get the DVI out (program) through DVI-HDMI video capture for Windows 10 and manage all in one box
    This sounds like an incredible plan but I'm really not sure quite how well it would actually work.
    Central Control - MIDI, OSC and StreamDeck control for TriCaster and 3Play - centralcontrol.io

Hello friends:

Well, good news. I upgraded TC-100 with 500 Gb HD (Sata 3), I have cloned the original partition to new HDD and it works very good. Tricaster boots perfectly.

Then I upgraded the Ram up to (2 Gb) DDR400, works perfectly.

I noticed that Software serial and pin is generated based on PCI card. It's a good notice because it may work with the purchased license, and Toaster card would work in any PC motherboard (with their installed driver, of course).

Tomorrow I will upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 32 Bits, why 32 bits?, because Driver of Toaster is an 32 bit driver, and Pentium 4 inside is 32 bit. But not problem, Windows 7 gives freshness and I can run applications for web, stream, audio, and much more, and Windows 7 32 Bits with 2 Gb and Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz (double processor) it's a fast machine.

I'm already satisfied with this. At the moment I not need more.

Kanep: I agree you, but I do not dedicate to this professionally. I bought TC-100 of second hand for Stream in Youtube badminton matchs (one per month or none). I can't buy an new Tricaster or 3-4 years older. Is very expensive for me. With TC-100 I'm doing very well for what I need. By that reason I wanted to update mine as much as possible.

Dexter2999: No..., that's not completely true..., You can mix the RAM as you want (different marks and capacity), but you may put modules of same frequency (DDR400, DDR333, DDR266), you can't mix 1 Gb DDR400 and 1 Gb DDR333, or 1 Gb DDR333 and 512Mb DDR266. But you can mix 1 Gb DDR400 and 512Mb DDR400 without problem. I recommend DDR400 (equivalent to pc3200). Is more speed than others.

I will upload photos of my upgraded Tricaster, running actual applications and working with their software.

Thanks!!.
    Jose.