Thread: NDI & NDI HX comparison and capabilities

NDI & NDI HX comparison and capabilities

Hello,

i have spent some time searching for it now...but unfortunately i can't find anything.

I would like to know if there is an overview of what NDI and NDI HX are able to do.
    I am especially interested in whether NDI HX is able to transmit 4k 60p like NDI.
    I would like to use 6 NDI HX cameras:
    4x Panasonic AG-CX350
    2x Sony SRG-X120
    These should be cut with a vMix Station and then the output should be sent to a second vMix Station via NDI.

I was told that NDI and NDI HX sources cannot be used together or there is a general incompatibility. Can someone confirm this or is someone using it anyway?

I would be very happy about some answers or tips!

Best Regards
    Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by PascalN View Post
    Hello,

i have spent some time searching for it now...but unfortunately i can't find anything.

I would like to know if there is an overview of what NDI and NDI HX are able to do.
    I am especially interested in whether NDI HX is able to transmit 4k 60p like NDI.
    I would like to use 6 NDI HX cameras:
    4x Panasonic AG-CX350
    2x Sony SRG-X120
    These should be cut with a vMix Station and then the output should be sent to a second vMix Station via NDI.

I was told that NDI and NDI HX sources cannot be used together or there is a general incompatibility. Can someone confirm this or is someone using it anyway?

I would be very happy about some answers or tips!

Best Regards
    Pascal
    Doesn't answer all your questions, but you can learn a little more here :
    What is HX 2 ?
    and some comparison of discovery here:
    All about NDI Discovery

Hello,

Both transmit video and are compatible with NDI applications. NDI-HX uses a LongGOP compression codec, typically H.264 (but sometimes H.265) to achieve lower bandwidth.

NDI-HX is not limited to any resolutions. However, most NDI-HXv1 devices max out at HD, there are some NDI-HXv2 devices that support 4K using H.265 like the NewTek PTZUHD camera. H.265 can be difficult for some systems to work with, a lot depends on the GPU card installed in the system.

I assume you are asking about NDI-HX and 4K because of the AG-CX350 cameras. The reason they output NDI-HX in HD is not a limitation of NDI. The camera specs list that IP output has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 with any format.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I assume you are asking about NDI-HX and 4K because of the AG-CX350 cameras. The reason they output NDI-HX in HD is not a limitation of NDI. The camera specs list that IP output has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 with any format.
    Oh, that’s a Problem. Can you recommend a Camera which supports the 4K output via NDI?

And sorry for the double post but have you heard anything about a compatibility problem when using NDI and NDI-HX together?

Regards
    Pascal

They can be used together. NDI-HX v1 has limited error correction in comparison to NDI and NDI-HXv2, if any packets are dropped you can have issues with HXv1. As long as your network can keep up, both can be used together.

I've got my NDI-PTZ1 (HXv1) running alongside many other high bandwidth NDI channels all the time.

This is where TriCaster is going to perform better, NDI is more deeply built into the product and it performs better. You will find that TriCaster will handle more channels/high resolution/higher framerates of NDI than a similar sized 3rd party switcher product.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post

This is where TriCaster is going to perform better, NDI is more deeply built into the product and it performs better. You will find that TriCaster will handle more channels/high resolution/higher framerates of NDI than a similar sized 3rd party switcher product.
    That’s good to know!
    So for 5 NDI and 3 NDI-HX sources ( all 4K ) you would recommend a Tricaster, like the Mini 4K?

Regards
    Pascal

Hi all

We have 3 x HDMI NDI/HX V1 WiFi connect sparks, hardly used. After realising that they weren’t compatible with my full NDI 4K connect plus modules on my Tricaster. They cost us over £500 each.

We Also have the very latest NDI modules connect I/O ( these are fab ).

We wonder if Newtek would consider the trading of old sparks for new ones, as the NDI /HX Sparks v1 have been rendered not fit for purpose.

Kind regards

Joe