Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I Love LightWave.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    I just read from a NewTek source that LightWave 2020 will be LightWave's final year of development.
    Link, please?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

And back to topic.

Lightwaves surfacing system I still enjoy over, blender and houdini, I pretty much loath the surfacing system in blender, lightwave panel is easier to overview, right click and copy and paste, where in blender it is hidden within a tiny drop down icon.

And texturing is easy to setup with built in coordinates etc, takes a bit more effort in blender for instance.
    Then itīs easier to get going with preset saves etc.

That said, workflow of this easy to surface has been compromized with the later pbr surfacing, they need to reclaim the texture button, once clicked on a nodal network is setup with the standard layer, but you donīt need to enter it access the texture itself, that is one of the few things "B" does right though.

And I think I mentioned that working with displacement and gradients, alphas, and procedural textures is more fun in Lightwave, since itīs easier to stack pretty much any, and a lot of varianced procedural textures on top of eachother, including textured displacements, alpha gradients to cut the levels etc..you can not do that in blender that way, takes much more effort with adding modifiers in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Link, please?
    as said >
    "No One is Developing LightWave"

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1601926
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

as said >

The remaining Lightwave developers are being "integrated" into the VizRT corporate structure. Does this mean that Lightwave will be "integrated" into VizRT's product line? Dunno. It would be nice if VizRT said something like "Lightwave fills a major gap in our product line. We are fully committed to the future of Lightwave and have some in-freaking-credible stuff planned. However, Awesome takes time. Please be patient". Inhale, and hold . . . hold . . . hold . . .

However, Lightwave is still functional. It was good enough to use on "Green Book".

Yes, there are flaws and problems, as with ANY 3D software.

There are still 3rd Party developers plugging away. I just got an update for Ryan Roye's AutoIK tool for LW 2020.

By all means, hedge your bets and explore/learn other software.

Don't Panic
    -- Douglas Adams

as said >

You cited "a NewTek source", which is why I thought you were referring to something from someone currently in a position to speak officially.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    You cited "a NewTek source", which is why I thought you were referring to something from someone currently in a position to speak officially.
    We all know by now that no one from within the company is going to say anything because it doesn't benefit them in any way to do so. And you Steve should be ashamed for adding further confusion to the mix. You're throwing shade on Ben Vost's statement that the LW developers who weren't fired are working now on other things and yet you have nothing to add to the conversation, you have nothing to invalidate Ben's statement, youre just protecting VizRT's conflicting information on the future, or lack thereof for LightWave and keeping users in the dark perpetually. Business as usual.

a NewTek source
    sorry, but he was a NewTek employee 1 month ago.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    The remaining Lightwave developers are being "integrated" into the VizRT corporate structure.
    For a second there, I read "interrogated". Glad it's not that bad..

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    And you Steve should be ashamed for adding further confusion to the mix. You're throwing shade on Ben Vost's statement that the LW developers who weren't fired are working now on other things and yet you have nothing to add to the conversation, you have nothing to invalidate Ben's statement, youre just protecting VizRT's conflicting information on the future, or lack thereof for LightWave and keeping users in the dark perpetually. Business as usual.
    I am disinclined to quibble with Ben, nor do I have any interest in confusing matters or protecting anyone. Neither will I opine or divulge any details regarding to those who are no longer with us - but a number of things about your characterization are at least overstated as best I know.

Things are seldom as black and white as it would be convenient to imagine. That all said, and with respect to Ben (who certainly deserves it) his remarks do not represent a NewTek statement, nor should they be presented as one.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    And back to topic.

Lightwaves surfacing system I still enjoy over, blender
    Yeah it's a joy to use. Even with people complaining about incompatibility with earlier versions, they did a nice job of making earlier surfaces still work. And for those that hate nodes they could still surface the old fashion way.
    Tim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah it's a joy to use. Even with people complaining about incompatibility with earlier versions, they did a nice job of making earlier surfaces still work. And for those that hate nodes they could still surface the old fashion way.
    That said, the lightwave devs did start a journey to destroy that ol good workflow when trying to implement the new PBR system, as hiding the texture system within the nodes only, in blender you can add the texture and the node will be set up without you having to connect the nodes, in lightwave you have to connect with a node, for a simple texture..that is completely off the charts in terms of workflow..and something they once had right and went wrong with, pretty much the same with old hypervoxels textures vs how you now need to connect it with nodes.

so a lot of bad UX workflows.

But still the main panel for surfacing is nicer than the material panel in blender, and the workflow of copy and pasting surfaces, just right click and copy and paste, you donīt that the with the same ease in blender.

in lightwave you have to connect with a node, for a simple texture.
    That's not so. Just select "Standard" and click the "T" button and do your thing like you did in 2015 and before. (Okay, so you have to select "Standard" first - one extra click. )
    Tim Parsons

in lightwave you have to connect with a node...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    That's not so. Just select "Standard"...
    We're discussing PBR surfacing, so it is so.

The optional OD Tools plugin can help with this. You can also submit a feature request to Vizrt/NewTek, as I have: (LWF-3006) "Automate PBR image import"

https://vimeo.com/247088794
    https://vimeo.com/324991158
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    However, Lightwave is still functional.

Yep. I am sure I could still fire up V7, which I started with about twenty years ago. Sure it woud be missing a lot of tools, but I'm sure it would do what it was intended to do. I am hoping that I will be able to continue working with LW2019 for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by TreyX View Post
    I love LW, too. It's the most comfortable and productive tool in my 3D arsenal. Been using it professionally since 1995.

heh, "3D arsenal"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D_Arsenal.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	148842

man, I'm old

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast