Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I Love LightWave.

there is no sanctuary....
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    You cited "a NewTek source", which is why I thought you were referring to something from someone currently in a position to speak officially.
    Glad to see you're still with us and keeping things honest.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    That's not so. Just select "Standard" and click the "T" button and do your thing like you did in 2015 and before. (Okay, so you have to select "Standard" first - one extra click. )
    Just as Raymondtrace said, we are talking aobut PBR workflow, and to Quote myself:
    "That said, the lightwave devs did start a journey to destroy that ol good workflow when trying to implement the new PBR system, as hiding the texture system within the nodes only"

Switching to standard will not make it equal to how blender has it, nor will let me use the newer material types that should be more correct to the renderer and lighting system in later LW versions.

A workaround is to start with standard texture surface mode, then right click on it and convert to PBR surface, that will in fact connect the image nodes for you without having to do it manually..not initially,
    But itīs a hack where it maintains a color layered node, not the node image setup. (I think)
    depends on how complex it is overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Glad to see you're still with us and keeping things honest.
    I can only try, but heaven knows there is enough hyperbole afoot in the wild these days without our adding to it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Another note and something I would like to stress on as something worth to have.

As I have mentioned previously, I love all the procedural textures we have within Lightwave, those textures within standard texture layering, or within old legacy hypervoxels, or within the node editor..they have a small thumb showcasing the fractal which I find useful, not only to get direct view on the noise, but also when tweaking it, it responds to the tweaks.

Now..in blender, you have that in the surface panel, but not if you would like to add a fractal texture for volumetric shading, itīs just number values...perhaps no big deal for some, but I find it
    valuable to have, Houdini the same, modo I think also the same that lacks this, Lightwave is doing it right

The fact that scaling of a texture is the total opposite in blender than in lightwave is something I am struggling with, lightwave values... positive increasement means larger scale of the noise, while it means lower scales in blender..blah, so when swithing to making noise based clouds in Lightwave..then try and match in blender, it all goes wonky

And again, I think Lightwave has the right approach on this.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    We're discussing PBR surfacing, so it is so.
    Just follow the energy conserving rules and you are good to go.
    Tim Parsons

Just follow the energy conserving rules and you are good to go.
    You will save more time by simply accept that the nodal image isnīt connected, or convert standard to pbr..than making new presets and materials with those rules, not sure it still would respond properly to the lighting system? perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You will save more time by simply accept that the nodal image isnīt connected, or convert standard to pbr..than making new presets and materials with those rules, not sure it still would respond properly to the lighting system? perhaps.
    It does if you don't break the "rules". But again I rarely use Standard (it still is the best way to get great cloth material) and 2018 was a fantastic learning experience for me on the use of nodes. That whole system is much more powerful. True though that the layer system was super simple and unique in its own right.

There are tons of things LW is better at than Blender - it also goes the other way around. My preference - LIGHTWAVE!!!
    Tim Parsons

It does if you don't break the "rules". But again I rarely use Standard (it still is the best way to get great cloth material) and 2018 was a fantastic learning experience for me on the use of nodes. That whole system is much more powerful. True though that the layer system was super simple and unique in its own right.

There are tons of things LW is better at than Blender - it also goes the other way around. My preference - LIGHTWAVE!!!
    Well..I am Not entering any discussion by putting the armour on and fight with a sword and take the classic LW VS B stand, Iīll do my best to keep it at the level of isolated discussion on limitations in Any of the software.

As for the surfacing, itīs just the general surfacing panel window I feel more comfortable with, preset system, and copy and paste, and ( with the older material) adding textures and fractals, I do not like to scroll in the blender material panel, the looks of it, how to copy and paste materials, and the lack of fractals.

All the fractals available in Lightwave, is pretty much acessable throughout the core of Lightwave, while in blender for instance, you have one set of fractals in displacement modifiers, but the fractals are not there for nodes, like clouds for instance, I am missing that when I want to set a cloud density in a volume material..and that is frankly a bit baffling, you would think they should have adressed that with volumetrics in mind.

I do hope they could reclaim that texture workflow for PBR, work out a way so it is automaticly connected with the node already setup, which means you simply click on a texture button and start messing with the textured layers, would be so much faster to get proper texturing running, and a convert button for the actual texture or something so it switches to nodal..something like that.

But reclaiming the ease of acessing textures is something that needs to extend to volumetrics as well, they broke that as well..it was much faster to get going with a selected hyperexture in the list, while now you have to add a texture and connect it to the right input, these new changes was made to make it powerful, but with very little concern for the UX, which has been a major part of why lightwave was so easy to use..and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    heh, "3D arsenal"
    Attachment 148842

man, I'm old
    Olde...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    heh, "3D arsenal"
    Attachment 148842

man, I'm old
    Olde timer from ye olden times

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Olde timer from ye olden times
    3D Arsenal was Don Ballance's project, with his longtime compadre Ralph Messana. Still hard to believe Don is gone, he was such a nice guy and astonishingly good at what he did.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Seemed like a cool guy.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    3D Arsenal was Don Ballance's project, with his longtime compadre Ralph Messana. Still hard to believe Don is gone, he was such a nice guy and astonishingly good at what he did.
    Good Lord! I did not know that he passed away. This is heartbreaking news.

I remember meeting him once in London at the Broadcast Video Expo (BVE) a few years ago. He was showcasing and demoing the Tricaster with Rex Olson and others. I managed to have a chat with him and was surprised at how tall he was. I always assumed he was around 5' 8"ish (he was not) and was pushing him for information on SpeedEDIT's future because at that time NT was very quiet on its development and the natives were getting restless. Needless to say, he was ever the professional and gave the corporate line until I maybe pushed a little too hard and he began to get a little "impatient" with me and basically told me that he couldn't give me the answers I was looking for because he wanted to keep his job.

I think I told him I understood and thanked him for his time.

I also remember seeing him years ago, at another expo in London with the NewTek team demoing the TriCaster and at that time they had four 40" - 50" HD LCD displays mounted high around their stand and I remember being absolutely gobsmacked at the image quality coming out of the TriCaster from a live feed.

The thing that blew me away was seeing Don in person sitting in front of a greenscreen in a really small space, then seeing the quality of the keying that the TriCaster was producing live on screen. On the fly! I literally couldn't see the join. There was no fringing, no bleeds or anything. The matte was perfect. It was then that I thought "never would I have thought I'd be saying that a dude could look THAT good on a screen".

But wow, this is terrible news. First, COVID, then LightWave, then Ben, now this.

Thanks for that 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    ... he was ever the professional
    Indeed he was, and a fine teacher and human being to boot.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123