Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F9 Hangs LW2020.0.2 Layout

F9 Hangs LW2020.0.2 Layout

I'm hitting F9 to render the current frame. The render preview builds. LW hangs just as the window opens up to display the completed render. This occurs with multiple different scenes.

F10, render scene, works fine for the same scenes.

Layout 2020.0.2
    Windows 10
    x64
    32GB RAM

Thanks!

Does it work if you click the button rather than pressing F9?
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Good idea. I just tried clicking the button. Unfortunately the render hangs LW the same as F9 did.

Odd, but it's going to be difficult to debug unless you can upload a scene and we can see whether we can reproduce the crash. Any chance of that?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

TrueArt Support
    Open Render Properties, and pick up different Render Display. What happens?
    e.g. [none]

Obviously you tried deleting config files to see whether it has any influence?
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-01-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks jwiede, thanks Sensi.

I can upload the scene if necessary.

Deleting LW2020.0.2-64.CFG provides a temporary fix. I.e., I get thru 5 to 10 frame renders and then LW hangs after that for each new F9.

Setting Render Display to None --> still hangs LW
    Setting Render Display to Imageview --> LW doesn't hang, but I don't know where the rendered image resides????

I don't understand that last one.
    Why not f10 since it reads like you want a sequence rendered?

Do you have modeler open? On 2019, I get some horrendous lag time swhen they start communicating.

Reads like a resource is being hampered in loading.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

My general workflow is to adjust lighting and surfacing and use F9 to check the results. I use F10 after lighting and surfacing is good to go.

Modeler open is a good question. I did try rendering frames (F9) with modeler, PS, and other programs closed. Layout still hangs.

Makes sense.

You may want to take jweide up on letting others check out the file. As I don't have 2020, I won't be of use.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Frequenter
    is there a chance that you have many render buffers active and also a moderately high resolution and it just keeps eating up RAM for each new frame until it freezes/hangs?

TrueArt Support
    It sounds to me to be similar/the same issue as during playing animation..
    Play anim (right-bottom toolbox panel) when you have too much geometry and after a few frames, LW will hang.

Open Preferences > Display,
    and set very small Bounding Box Threshold, like 2000.
    After pressing play, object goes to bounding-box mode, and there is no hanging.

Does it help in your case with F9?

How many points and polygons do you have in the scene?

How many objects and layers do you have in the scene?

How many viewports do you use when it hangs? Just one perspective or dual-view, or quad-view?
    Is VPR open at the same time?

Try to set preview mode to [none] to disable OpenGL viewports completely, and then attempt to hangs hard..
    (at least we will know whether it is OpenGL related or not)
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-01-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Fishhead - thanks, LW will hang with just one render buffer. F9 renders are only at 1K x 1K. F10 can render at 5K x 5K just fine.

Sensei - I think you may be right. I have a lot of geometry in the scene. I'll need a little time to investigate your suggestions/questions. I'll follow up and respond.

Quick answers: 1 viewport. VPR closed. Opening VPR seems to make the problem worst.

I have a system that does the same thing (Ryzen 9/2080 RTX). Another system, using the same LW config, is fine. Refreshing/wiping the config file does help for one or two more F9 renders.

For me, there is no need to use any special scene. I just generate a toroid in Layout, hit F9 and watch it lock up.

I have not had much time to devote to trouble shooting. However, as the refreshed config files appear involved, my next troubleshooting step is to take snapshots of before/after the config files are refreshed and use WinMerge to compare them.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
    Sensei - I think you may be right. I have a lot of geometry in the scene. I'll need a little time to investigate your suggestions/questions. I'll follow up and respond.
    Any 3rd party nodes and textures i.e. Dpont's?

Are you using Dpont's Image Map node? i.e. to what it was not designed i.e. normal images? (it was designed for image-sequences)

What with memory usage in Task Manager? Do you see it's constant or it's constantly growing and growing? If yes, it means there is memory leakage.
    (Dpont's Image Map node had memory leakage, till 17 September, if you're using it, download and check again).

I have in this computer 6 GB and in apps which have memory leakage, I immediately see it, because after reaching memory limit, app hangs, unable to open any window including Task Manager..
    Firefox has some serious memory leakage, so I keep Task Manager open all the time, to shutdown firefox once it stuck on some website eating the all memory (don't want to reset entire computer, because it may cause instability of the system)
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-01-2020 at 03:51 PM.

I've found the issue on my system and I've filed a bug report (LWB-6321).

In my situation, crashes/lockups occur when I have the render image preview window on a third display while the main Layout window is on the first display. If I keep the image preview window on the main/first display, LightWave does not lock up.

After crashing, the problem/resolution can be found in the "LW2020.0.2-64.CFG" config file. Search for the "WindowShape" lines and find the one that starts with 1230394693 as an attribute. This identifies the image preview window. The next number is the X coordinate, then the Y coordinate, then the width and height.

WindowShape 1230394693 1829 140 1286 746

I just delete the line, save the CFG file, and on the next run of Layout, the image preview window spawns on the first display. All is good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	617.7 KB 
ID:	148802
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 10-01-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast