Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning a new 3d software but still using LW question?

Learning a new 3d software but still using LW question?

Just a quick question. Being a LW user, if I were to begin to learn a new software as well as continuing with LW, which would be the best to choose? Is there one very close to how LW works that would be faster to pick up?

Go with Houdini, it plays really well along with wit Lightwave 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    Just a quick question. Being a LW user, if I were to begin to learn a new software as well as continuing with LW, which would be the best to choose? Is there one very close to how LW works that would be faster to pick up?
    1.B
    2.H

As for close to how Lw works, no, the software works a bit different, but both has extreme value for money.

C4d. Only saying so because I'm in that same boat. If you're looking for doing it cheaply, then Blender. C4d is pretty darn easy. 15 day trial though. Not that long to play.

There are a lot of salespeople here.

I think we forgot to discuss what kind of 3D work you want to do...and what issues you've encountered with LW that require another tool.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post

I think we forgot to discuss what kind of 3D work you want to do...and what issues you've encountered with LW that require another tool.
    I donīt think thereīs a single one of those posters that are salesmen, besides..if you look at the free options for both, they are that..so they donīt need to be sold since there is no cost.
    If you choose to pay, thatīs another story and then you contact whatever sales office there are, there are no salesmen here.

Both these tools complement Lightwave very well for many things, particlefx, sculpting etc.
    Not to mention vdb, you can use fluids in the other two software and export to Lightwave for rendering there, or vice versa, also cloudFX tools in Houdini works nicely to export to Lightwave.

For me to be a salesman, it would require me selling Lightwave

True.

In my day to day work, I use Lightwave as my primary modeling and rendering software.. but I rely on other software for things that Lightwave is still a little rough about, like fluid and smoke / fire simulations.

I do still occasionally bring the simulations back into Lightwave for rendering. Not that the other software is not fully capable of rendering, it is... but often it just looks better in Lightwave than it does in the other software. That is likely due to the limitations of my experience with the other software when it comes to rendering.

For me, C4D and similar subscription software is a non-starter... not just in my personal work, but in my professional work as well. When you tally up the costs of maintaining multiple subscriptions (in my work role, Adobe CC is an imperative) the cost just becomes prohibitive. I've never felt comfortable going to my employer and saying "hey, you know how the 3d software we use has only cost X? How would you feel about multiplying that by three - five times... annually?"

The salespeople comment was tongue-in-cheek. I understand nobody here is an intentional salesperson. A salesperson typically says "you need this product" without asking what the customer needs.

That was the fault of this discussion. Genesis1 has not yet mentioned what was needed but everyone was ready with an answer.

Any limitations of LW can be solved with plugins for LW or with other programs. Let's see what genesis1 wants to do before turning this LW forum into something it was not intended to be.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

s LW forum into something it was not intended to be.
    Fair enough, but unless reading between the lines all the time, and with respect for that he didnīt start the thread with issues, or something he would like to overcome in Lightwave, but simply put want to have a complementary tool (that without going in to specific scenarios, since he simply left that out)

He had emphasis on what other software that could be best to choose..and those two are the best cheapest (H- Indie, and open source B) and while also getting most out of the box for a package as well as gettig very advanced vfx tools, as well as complementary sculpting, unless investing in zbrush for yet another expense.

The other emphasis was that it would be good if it had the similar workflow...thatīs was what he asked for, no case scenario, no issue.

I intentionally marked the other as "B" and "H" which really is a bit silly, and then I had no intent to go on describing them deeper than that, or turning the thread to anothing else than what he asked for..which was just exactly as he said, nothing less and more in his Post.

I also said they are very good "complement" to Lightwave..since he wantīs to use that as well, there is no contradiction in it.

a good additional app is [B] ...or [H]

LW has a snappy nice workflow, something that one might miss in those other apps, at times.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    a good additional app is [B] ...or [H]

LW has a snappy nice workflow, something that one might miss in those other apps, at times.
    True for me and you, and a bunch of others, on the other hand, there are those who donīt think so, but thatīs how far I go in to that description right here.

mileage = varies

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Top Dog
    I like the free software. Like a lot of folks, I found the interface difficult to overcome. However that changed with 2.8.x and now 2.9.x. I was able to completely transition over within a month. Workflows that took me years to learn in LW, took me days and sometimes hours. And the plugin community (both free and paid) is massive. I can now take advantage of my Nvidia GPUs without an Octane license.

I still use LightWave quite a bit. But I decided to diversify last year. Much like the free software, I tried Houdini many times and it did not stick. Procedural modeling was too foreign. Oddly enough with the free software, the methodology for procedural modeling has stuck. Learning LW nodes has made the transition very easy as well. If I had deeper pockets, I probably would have gone the 3DS route (which I used to have a license for along with Modo).

Also tons of great training content on YouTube. I am finding where all these great LW artists "disappeared" to. I find the free software's interface no longer an impediment but a strength with the way how I can customize everything.

This is my experience. I primarily do product viz, arch viz, and some video and mograph.

Top Dog
    And I should add, that FBX has been fairly seamless working between the two applications along with other apps that I use like Anima, Daz3D and iClone.

As an archvis artist I need to be able to make bedding so I purchased Marvelous Designer on Steam several years ago but it's badly out of date now. My plan is to learn enough about Blender so I can create bedding in it. It looks like its got some pretty decent brushes for cloth and dynamics. If it can't do what I need I'll try ZBrush for the same type of thing. Of course Blender and ZBrush are quite the departure from LW but on the other hand Modo has a lot of similarities. I've been using it off and on since version 103 thru 601, but hardly ever touch it anymore. (Crash fest, crappy shader tree and bogs down on medium size scenes) Using different tools to compliment LW is not really necessary, but it helps in those occasions when you need to do something it isn't the strongest at.
    Tim Parsons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast