Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave load Illustrator EPS error

Lightwave load Illustrator EPS error

Hi guys,

I donīt know what happened to my dear old Lightwave 2018 but suddenly the "load EPS" that worked fine two days ago failed.

I have attached two files. A Jpg to see what it looks like and a compressed EPS-file.

Can someone check up this file and see if you experience the same problem?

If it works fine at yours and you send it to me as a LWO file I would be a happy man again. Iīm gonna try to compare the file you send with the ones I made the day before yesterday and see if thereīs any small settings or similar that screwed things up. You may also tell my what settings you used when open it or if you are a Illustrator user how you saved it in that program to. But the main problem is that I havenīt got time to lose messing around with this at the moment. Itīs just at test shot for a test job and I ask myself why itīs always these projects that creates most problems.

I will of course try to re-install Lightwave later and try to find out what possibly went wrong here. It work two days ago and Illustrator does what it shall. It looks ok and works fine when open it in Photoshop or any other program.

Thanks, Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monogramW.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	148777  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Curious

I tried with std EPS loader in 2020.0.2 and 2015.3

no luck.

tried OD tools importer, no luck

tried the free vector data importer too, by Oliver, no luck.

opened eps in illustrator and saved as eps version 8.

imported that in 2020.0.2 and worked.

drilled relevant parts to match ep, cleaned up with LW cad.

see here, https://file.io/7SW3tQzOX2De (don't know how long this link will last)

cant upload to forum atm

there is no sanctuary....
    It doesn't work here either. Best I could get was to load it in to affinity, export as a png, load in to inkscape, trace the bitmap and save as an .eps.\

Logo.rar
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 09-28-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Hi the problem is the version that is saved the EPS file. If the file was saved in version of Adobe CC 2020 o 2109 the file wont open in modeler.
    The best way that I found is to save a file in an old version of eps, version illustrator 8 works fine to me.

Try and get hold of Oliver Holtz OD vector importers, they seem more stable for eps, or pdf.
    Itīs free.

pdf usually works nicely if you export out from that instead of eps from illustrator.
    this plugin also imports from inkscape svg format, as well as the other formats..so itīs great.
    though I am not sure of how it works for 2020 Lighwave versions only 2019.

https://origamidigital.com/cart/inde...&product_id=50

The LW documentation cites AI8 as the most recent version of EPS to target.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...port-group/eps

Some may think this is because LW gave up on compatibility with newer Iluustrator versions. However, the AI8 limitation is reasonable as later versions of Illustrator introduced features to the format that would only confuse other file format readers. Saving back to AI8 keeps that irrelevant crud out of the file.

In some situations, I have found an AI file opens in LW better than an EPS file (both being saved from Illustrator 8 format).

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...though I am not sure of how it works for 2020 Lighwave versions only 2019.

https://origamidigital.com/cart/inde...&product_id=50
    Yes, OD Vector Importer works in 2020 as well. I just loaded an AI file (similar to your preferred PDF format) while the EPS variant failed.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 09-28-2020 at 08:38 AM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The LW documentation cites AI8 as the most recent version of EPS to target.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...port-group/eps

Some may think this is because LW gave up on compatibility with newer Iluustrator versions. However, the AI8 limitation is reasonable as later versions of Illustrator introduced features to the format that would only confuse other file format readers. Saving back to AI8 keeps that irrelevant crud out of the file.

In some situations, I have found an AI file opens in LW better than an EPS file (both being saved from Illustrator 8 format).

Yes, OD Vector Importer works in 2020 as well. I just loaded an AI file (similar to your preferred PDF format) while the EPS variant failed.
    Yes, true, eps is unstable, butr depends on, sometimes I get the eps to work, sometimes not..but generally I avoid EPS export, and use pdf or Ai ..If I can.

TrueArt Support
    In LW 2020.0.2 in Modeler I am clicking on File > Import > EPS Loader, picking up your file, and nothing happens.. Is that what you observe?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    In LW 2020.0.2 in Modeler I am clicking on File > Import > EPS Loader, picking up your file, and nothing happens.. Is that what you observe?
    Yes, that is what we all observe when something newer than an Illustrator 8 level EPS or AI file is loaded. LightWave Modeler never returns an error message on these. Even as far back as LW 2015, it would not return an error message. It just leaves an empty model.

Returning an error message on a failed import may be a good feature request for NT, if anyone really needs this.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Here Jaxtone,

you got svg,pdf,and lwo (2019) in this zipfile.

This is what I did, since you only provided eps (try and use another format in the future such as pdf, or ai, at least complement the exports with those formats)
    eps is something Inkscape doesnīt import, so I used this online converter..
    https://www.zamzar.com/uploadComplet...=false&tcs=Z79

Be aware, many other converter that says it converts from Eps to Ai, they really donīt, well at least they convert to an Ai file, but the vector is rasterized.
    This one worked though, and I uploaded the Eps file you provided here, and then I choose the pdf as convert option.

Saved it to my harddrive, opened in free inkscape, now I did this to ensure the file was ok, cause when I tried to import the conversion directly with OD tools in Lightwave, I get errors, so I suspected you had to many layer objects or paths in there.
    Color conversion from the online service seem to got lost though, unless absolutely needed..you could adjust in inkscape or illustrator.

So in Inkscape I noticed more paths objects than needed, I just copied the main path and pasted on to a new inkscape document, saved out as pdf, svg..and at least pdf came in ok, when importing with the OD vector import.
    I had to flip and rotate the Logo to correct it.

So hereīs from one kingsman to another, manners maketh man
    See attached zipfile with the files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here you see the layers in your eps file, and you have several layers, including the image layer, that needs to be removed ..I think that is what is causing the import error.

Also, the logo is a bit sharp in the edges, needs a bit more interpolated, bezier points.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	check_remove image layer.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	148783

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    It doesn't work here either. Best I could get was to load it in to affinity, export as a png, load in to inkscape, trace the bitmap and save as an .eps.\

Logo.rar
    Thatīs all ok, I didnīt check how good your trace was, though I know inkscape does a pretty good job, with my files though, they were converted from eps to pdf vector, so they are probably more accurate.

there is no sanctuary....
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thatīs all ok, I didnīt check how good your trace was, though I know inkscape does a pretty good job, with my files though, they were converted from eps to pdf vector, so they are probably more accurate.
    Could be, but as you noted the real problem is the original image. I could have turned up the accuracy on the trace, but it wouldn't have helped much.
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Could be, but as you noted the real problem is the original image. I could have turned up the accuracy on the trace, but it wouldn't have helped much.
    No..I donīt think thatīs correct, the real problem Is Not the original image.
    There is no problem with the original image, Other than the problem is that there is an image at all within what is supposed to be a vector file only, this is originally a vector eps file, with an image layer as well, he just posted that as raster.
    Tracing is the second choice if you do not have a vector art file from the beginning.

See my posts above, I couldnīt have converted the eps to pdf that accurately online, if it werent already a vector file.
    So my files are more accurate since I didnīt have to trace it, that is the "wrong way" if you already have it as vector file.

If you refer to the hard edges? In such case you should have stated it as "there is a real problem with the vector resolution & bezier paths" and not an image problem, or at least mention vector image.
    For that you would have to work the path with interpolation, or simplify path etc, smoothing it.
    Selecting various node parts(inkscape), or point (illustrator) sonly where needed and use smooth is what you can do, but tedious..better with a better trace, if it is originating from an image.

You could also refer to the problem being how the original image was converted by Jaxtone, which is probably what you ment..right?, but not described exactly.

Hereīs some samples..(our current Swedish king, since 1973..and he has been king for the longest time in Swedish history)
    Thankfully no wars in modern times in his era, and good health.

https://www.pngfind.com/pngs/m/376-3...-gustaf-of.png
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Sweden.svg.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast