Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Were These Done?

Wow, prometheus!
    You always amaze me with the how you do what you do.
    However I really don't have a clue regarding most of what you talked about.
    I will have to re-read it all again, very slowly.

I've never had much success with the heat shrink tool.
    And Lightwave's displacement leaves much to be desired.
    I was spoiled by Maxwell's a long time ago.

Your alien looking thingy is pretty much what I'm trying for and will take the time to sit and go over your post again, like I said, slowly.

Thanks again for all of your information and for taking the time to post it.

Cheers, BradC

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    Wow, prometheus!
    You always amaze me with the how you do what you do.

I've never had much success with the heat shrink tool.
    And Lightwave's displacement leaves much to be desired.
    I was spoiled by Maxwell's a long time ago.

Your alien looking thingy is pretty much what I'm trying for and will take the time to sit and go over your post again, like I said, slowly.

Thanks again for all of your information and for taking the time to post it.

Cheers, BradC
    I can probably fast record a little showcase of that process, including starting with a curve, a simple showcase of the lightwave render and how to set that up, then the brush mask in blender and paint lift that.
    to note though, if you aim for a lot of these, the scene can be quite heavy so you may want to try and reduce polycount..but thatīs a later process.

Dont have time to record today with sculpting, but Another technique I think could be useful, that is the old metaball/edges modeling approach, you can apply it to any shape and with the shapes edges or curves in mind when you start the shape, or even draw out sketch curves, you can produce the outline which surrounds what then will be the holes, once it is meshed with metaedges etc.

You would need to learn how to use metaedges, and frankly..not many folks seem to have understood how to use it, itīs a bit tricky.

After metaedge is set properly with radius, resolution and influence, you ctrl-d to freeze them to a mesh, then reconstruct it by lowering mesh density, merge triangles and metaform subdivide it a bit.
    That will improve the quality a bit, but it doesnīt have equal poly count uniformly over the mesh, that is why I send it to blender and remesh it, or of course..you could go nodal layout remesh with vdb as well.
    Inside of blender I could instead use skin modifier on the same base geometry, instead of using metaedges.

Further inflate/displacement on shapes like this, then a laplacian smooth modifier in blender will help make the shape more melted with various tension thickness on the branch.
    This was made many years ago, and I would correct the shapes to fit more the style you have in mind, If I were to approach it like so.

You can also just bevel similar shape and while in flat constructed mode, apply some deformations on it, then thicken it, then metaform it, so many approaches to do this..just a matter of
    what you feel comfortable with in modeling sessions, and what is the best result or maybe the quickest ways, or most flexible if you intend to deform it more on to projected surfaces.

And the playlist for experimenting with polyllines and metaedges in lightwave, and skin modifier as well..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf4w...6i1t8F&index=7

and another sample..

on a cylinder, simply drew with the sketch tool overlapping curves, in edge mode select them, copy them, that will put the edges in the clip board, back to poly mode and delete the polycurves, then paste the edges back, which now isnīt curves but polylines..that is what to work with for metaedges.

converted to metaedges and you have to select this polylines in polymode in order to be able to access the metaball edit panel, from there you can scale radius of the metaedges, but working with metaedges like this is a bit tricky, you have to have the polylines selected in order for clicking toggle metaedges on and off, and you have to toggle on off, If you need to increase or increase metaedges/balls resolution, it wonīt respond and update unless you toggle on off.

heatshrinked the polylines on to a cylinder, in this case subdivided a lot just to make sure the lines and points of the polyline deform to closes normals/points, using mode normal and both, you should keep a lower unsubdivided cylinder in another layer to revert to once heatshrinking is done and not needed, and discard the denser cylinder to avoid too many polys, in final scene.

metaedges one have to be careful though, and not disort too much ..or at least have enough edges within the polylines so metaedges meshing can be good enough without gaps.
    in this sample there is gaps..so i could have increased edge resolution of the polylines, you coul start by setting a finer resolution for when drawing curves, or adjust curves with aw divide (free plugin)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metaedges unfreezed.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	148896

Name:	reduced mesh.jpg 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	148897

Name:	final.jpg 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	148898

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    Wow, prometheus!

I do hope I formulate me well enough, so that it isnīt the language barrier, grammatics that causes issues, and that it merely is the technicality of the descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I do hope I formulate me well enough, so that it isnīt the language barrier, grammatics that causes issues, and that it merely is the technicality of the descriptions.
    Yes, you formulate very well! My confusion, or maybe confounded is a better description. At any rate its about the technicality.
    And thank you for this latest idea. It is applicable to so many other models and ideas as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123