Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Were These Done?

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    Thanks BeeVee, that's exactly what I've been playing with.

And thank you all for your suggestions!

So far it's been fun and interesting but I've yet to come close to what I'm after.
    But I'll keep working at it. Here's a section of an image that started it all.
    If what you aim for is to be matching that latest image you posted, I would suggest another approach..and not the vdb booleans or booleans at all.
    Thatīs a lot of wines and merging bridgin, without any direct distortion within the gaps, so you would need a way to create crawling wines or bridge elements and adjust smoothess in between.

I would probably try with another tool than Lightwave though, it may be possible though if you can use the bezier bridge tool from artsphere(itīs free) and learn to use that effectively, then the hard part would be to fix on to other surfaces.

But Ideally, which is out of question for you in terms of cost, but that would be to get the metamesh tools from 3rd powers, and decal sticker sort of, I am saying that just by lookin at what it can do ..I donīt have it or have tried it myself though.

For these kind of crawling wines, with fused sections that form the gaps, the gaps also following the main structure of the growth/crawling..which makes boolean cutīs not good and not following that..so those gaps should be the result of meshing fusion or bridging.

There is free tools that does remeshing nicely, I would probably use the bridge tools to construct the wine growth in Lightwave ..send it over to a free tool for remeshing, or use the vdb tools to merge the various bridge parts in to fused mesh since we donīt have metamesh, so in one sense you can use the VDB tools for that, but not use boolean cutters for it.

Thatīs some suggestions.
    I may take a look at some basic setups for this later, If I can get the time.

As for workflow and other tools, I would suggest perhaps send me a private message and I would give you some suggestions, it would require you to either already know a little about it or put up with learning it a little bit.

One tecnique would also be to shape the veins, gaps as flat subdivided pieces, you can actually make the perfectly uniform straight segments for the main shape, but on the inside of that(the gaps ..you make them a bit uneven, then use that to wrap around wines or bridge segments, then use thicken on it, eventually if needed, sending to layout for vdb fusion/melting together.

A technique In Lightwave I havenīt tested yet, but may try.
    This is demonstrated by Mark Warner using an image, but it may work to use with a fractal texture running along a bridge segment...

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    A technique In Lightwave I havenīt tested yet, but may try.
    This is demonstrated by Mark Warner using an image, but it may work to use with a fractal texture running along a bridge segment...

Thanks again prometheus, you have given me so much to work with. The YouTube by Mark Warner is terrific. I will definitely be working on that one.
    I went another route with simple texturing that may work as a last resort. Not at all like the models I am going after but it may suffice in the long run as it does look cool.
    Would leave it to just model shapes and distort them after the uv texture is applied. Here is a test I did using the same image as the texture and bump.
    Cheers, BradC

That is looking pretty nice, but I suspect thereīs an illusion there with the gaps not being proper holes, or clipping...so it may work for some shots, but not in others I guess.

Maybe something like this setup could be helpful?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volume7.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	778.6 KB 
ID:	148850

Quote Originally Posted by next_n00b View Post
    Maybe something like this setup could be helpful?

Name:	volume7.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	778.6 KB 
ID:	148850
    That looks very interesting next_n00b! Sorry for the late post...and Thank You for your help!
    Cheers, BradC

LW really is a cool box of tools. I'm looking forward to using these new features.
    Last edited by jimzombie; Yesterday at 03:13 AM.

Yes, as mentioned, the original is in fact just bump and shading for what looks to be indents, or almost holes.
    A very simple technique though to use ...is simply to create a flat grid, delete som of the polys, jitter it only on x-y direction slightly to make the deleted parts non uniformly, use heatshrink o the object of interest and then the thicken tool, perhaps deform more with various tools, this sample isnīt exactly matching the shapes, would have needed to smooth things out more, but you get the idea.

Decal sticker and metamesh from 3rd powers not an option due to costs, I get that.
    If lightwave is to difficult to do this, I would recommend other free software to simply paint mask in sculpting mode, extract that as a mesh from that surface, and continue to sculpt smooth on that extracted mesh.
    There is even options to use image mask, and you could render out a nice fractal from lightwave and use as a mask, project that as stencil mask in a free sculpting app, then extract the mesh if needed, could be enough by just raising the parts with the mask
    stencil as well.

Name:	heatshrink.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	148881

And rendering out the classical vein fractal, for sculpting in another free software as a mask, you could also as mentioned extract a new mesh from this mask and process that alone with smoothing modifiers etc.
    you could also use similar fractals directly in that software ..so not necessary to use a prerendered mask image.

Or if staying with lightwave, use the image vdb tutorial together with a prerendered mask image as the vein fractals.

You would have to evaluate mesh resolution as well though with sculpting on dense meshes like this, and treat them as various parts, then reduce density after sculpting.

Name:	LW vein fractal.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	148882

Name:	Vein fractal mask.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	148883

or something like this, on a curved tentacle object, same principle as above..vein mask is the same Lightwave vein fractal rendered at 1024x1024 and used as mask and then brush drawing over the mask applied first on the mesh, though you should perhaps use a higher texture res.

Name:	paint masked veins.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	148884

Hah! Apologies. I went back and noticed OP was only interested in LW specific solutions, so I thought I'd do a sneaky and remove the additional thoughts. That tentacle thing looks pretty good. I always loved playing around with LW's texture editor and node system. The possibilities are just about endless.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzombie View Post
    Hah! Apologies. I went back and noticed OP was only interested in LW specific solutions, so I thought I'd do a sneaky and remove the additional thoughts. That tentacle thing looks pretty good. I always loved playing around with LW's texture editor and node system. The possibilities are just about endless.
    That tentacle thing was first just curve shape made in blender, converted to mesh, increased resolutions with freezed subpatch, then sculpt elevated in blender, but used a mask paint based on a fractal rendered out from Lightwave, I could have increased quality on the mask with filtering, so thereīs a slight artifact in some areas when raised..but didnīt pay that much attention to that showcase only.
    As for the OP, he never stated "Only" interested in LW specific solutions, he did say that he would like to try out similar in Lightwave, had he access to zbrush, or additional plugins, Iīm sure he would have used that, or 3D coat, but things cost except free tools I used, and Lightwave of course.

This is what he said ..initially...
    " How Were These Done?

I am interested more in the surface holes than the shapes.
    I'm guessing these were likely done in ZBrush but I'd like to try something similar in LW.
    Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much!
    BradC
    "

There is also options in Lightwave to try displacement maps with veins of course,mixed with normal maps and other shading tricks.
    Just love all the fractals we have in Lightwave, and it is something I really miss in blender.

And adding displacement procedural texture layers to distort veins or other layers is also powerful.
    Some great fractals also from dpont, with warping that I have to try and render out some image masks for, for displacing ..they can be slow if used directly in fractal texturing, so image mask instead and sculpting on that perhaps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12