Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newtek forums down all day 2020-09-27

Newtek forums down all day 2020-09-27

I couldnīt reach the forums pretty much all day 2020-09-27

Yeah, I noticed that the forums were down too. I imagine they would have been back up much quicker if it hasn't been the weekend.

Anyway, normal service is resumed.

Obviously back up now!

(sigh) Seriously? LinkChecker too complicated?
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-27-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

The forums are back, but the newtek.com main page is seriously eff'ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    John, who are you directing that question to? and what is really the problem here?

Who cares about link checker? Personally I just started the thread as a note, not as a question, if itīs down, itīs down..I donīt have to do research about it, every other site I needed to checked worked, so logicly/ergo...something was down and not any issue on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Obviously back up now!
    Are you sure?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Perhaps I should have started the thread, "what could be going on?"..just out of curiousity, nothing else.
    Just thought it was down for quite a longer time than what is mostly usual for short breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    John, who are you directing that question to? and what is really the problem here?

Who cares about link checker? Personally I just started the thread as a note, not as a question, if itīs down, itīs down..I donīt have to do research about it, every other site I needed to checked worked, so logicly/ergo...something was down and not any issue on my side.
    The problem is these extended service outages keep happening to customer-facing product support web services, and there's no solid sign anyone at NT/V is the least bit bothered by them, let alone sees any need for handling them better. They aren't even consistently acknowledging the outages.

According to Owler, Newtek's a ~$40M est. annual revenue company with >300 employees, while VizRT's a ~$200M est. annual revenue company with ~650 employees (presumably incl. Newtek). Are you really suggesting it's unreasonable for customers to expect reliable product support web services from a company of such size? If so, where's the line where such expectations are reasonable?
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-28-2020 at 03:02 AM.
    John W.

The problem is these extended service outages keep happening to customer-facing product support web services, and there's no solid sign anyone at NT/V is the least bit bothered by them, let alone sees any need for handling them better. They aren't even consistently acknowledging the outages.

According to Owler, Newtek's a ~$40M est. annual revenue company with >300 employees, while VizRT's a ~$200M est. annual revenue company with ~650 employees (presumably incl. Newtek). Are you really suggesting it's unreasonable for customers to expect reliable product support web services from a company of such size? If so, where's the line where such expectations are reasonable?
    Oh..I donīt suggest anything here.

For me..I was set on using the forums less and less nowadays anyway, I was just curious why it was down, and bump marking the event in time for future hindsight.
    For me I have bigger problems in a 50 list that I could complain about and also others pertaining the forums that comes first befor this issue, Ivé sort of resigned to that it seems they will not be doing any refreshment of the forums..and actually
    I hoped the break could have been something along those lines, but it doesnīt seem so.

For many, it is of course a much bigger issue that it goes down, I recognize that.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    John, who are you directing that question to? and what is really the problem here?...
    I would suspect John was trying to demonstrate his perceived superior understanding of web site management by posting this link. I'm not sure if he understood this service is really only intended to check if the links of a given web site were pointing to valid destinations. He probably meant to post a real web site monitoring tool. But we're all entitled to make mistakes, right?

...They aren't even consistently acknowledging the outages....
    How did you know/acknowledge there were outages?

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    It is possible that they took the weekend, when traffic may be least affected, to adjust their services. They may have updated the DNS and redirected to new servers. The f'd up web sites may be due to cached DNS info on your own system. You can force the cache to refresh or you may need to wait for the cache to expire on its own.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I would suspect John was trying to demonstrate his perceived superior understanding of web site management by posting this link. I'm not sure if he understood this service is really only intended to check if the links of a given web site were pointing to valid destinations. He probably meant to post a real web site monitoring tool. But we're all entitled to make mistakes, right?
    Oh not I ..I keep the highest standard ego..soon reaching the state of Narcissism, any fault I make is by intention, just as Persians weave faults by intention in to their "almost divine carpets" I donīt want to be too perfect.

Advice, blame the keyboard or the cat, not sure what Newtek has as an excuse though for the temporary downer, perhaps the usual..maintenance?

BeeVee took the rap when the online docs went down. Maybe someone's working out how to pin this one on him too...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I would suspect John was trying to demonstrate his perceived superior understanding of web site management by posting this link. I'm not sure if he understood this service is really only intended to check if the links of a given web site were pointing to valid destinations.
    If that's all you perceived it offered, you might want to go back and apply a bit more attention (incl. the cmd-line executable's "live" URL service checking abilities).
    John W.

The real interesting part (for me) is to hear about the reason of the site going down the whole day.
    But we seem to live in speculationland..when it comes to communication with newtek, mostly.

If that's all you perceived it offered, you might want to go back and apply a bit more attention (incl. the cmd-line executable's "live" URL service checking abilities).
    You've linked to a tool mostly used by content managers, not server administrators. Server admins utilize other tools that monitor server uptime/load/resources. Those tools will notify the admin when something on the server goes wrong.

The tool you linked does none of that. No server admin in their right mind would use that tool to make sure a site is running. Your advice would leave NT in the same condition for which you complain.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast