Thread: Plugin location help

your average lightwaver gpdesigner's Avatar

Plugin location help

Hello everyone,
    tried to solve this issue can't seem to get it.
    I am using LW2015 High Sierra I have [email protected] plug-ins installed in my LW folder,
    however error message say LW is looking for plugins on a different path.
    user/me/Desktop/support/texture/ . . yada yada
    How do I change this path as the plug-ins are no on my Desktop.
    Thanks in advance
    Ralph
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro 5,1 6-Core 3.46 5690 Intel Xeon and MacPro 2,1 2x Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram

I have always had all my plugins in the LW plugins folder, within the application.
    Re-add the plugins from the location.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

File/edit/path options..

There you should be able to configure your own custom folder paths for various items.

exactly my friend,
    That is where they are, . . . but for some unknown reason LW wants to look on my desktop first.
    My plugins are located
    HD/3D/LW2015/support/plugins/ . . yada yada
    Is there a way to manually configure the path?
    " Nuts! " . . . ~General Anthony McAuliffe: 101st Airborne at 'The Battle of the Bulge'
    MacPro 5,1 6-Core 3.46 5690 Intel Xeon and MacPro 2,1 2x Quad Core x64| 16 Gb Ram

Normally, you can just rescan your plugins folder. EDIT->Plugins->scan [or something like that, pointing it to your new plugins location]

You can also clean up paths manually. The config files are text. Any text editor can do a find/replace.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Normally, you can just rescan your plugins folder. EDIT->Plugins->scan [or something like that, pointing it to your new plugins location]

You can also clean up paths manually. The config files are text. Any text editor can do a find/replace.
    Don't forget to remove the extension cache file present (if any).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post

already did that, reload didn't seem to have an effect. I am seriously thinking of making a folder on my desktop just for this . . . lol

Have you tried removing the plugin, drop the plugin in the plugins folder and restart LW, with autoscan on.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020 CSculpt NMotion
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Have you tried removing the plugin, drop the plugin in the plugins folder and restart LW, with autoscan on.
    I will give that a shot today... thanx for the help.
    I will let you know how this turns out.

are you running LW from the desktop or is it in the Applications folder, LW always scans its own program folder first unless redirected and 2015 needs its user directory to be at User<Library<Application Support<Newtek<Plugins, besides there are two types of of IFW, the nodal ones that end in '.plugin' not '.p', and the surface presets '.srf' or '.pst', if its asking for textures it might be these

Quote Originally Posted by gpdesigner View Post
    Hello everyone,
    tried to solve this issue can't seem to get it.
    I am using LW2015 High Sierra I have [email protected] plug-ins installed in my LW folder,
    however error message say LW is looking for plugins on a different path.
    How do I change this path as the plug-ins are no on my Desktop.
    Thanks in advance
    Ralph
    Where did you install Lightwave 2015? Did you use the default ("/Applications/NewTek/Lightwave3D_2015.x")?

A. You didn't subsequently drag the Modeler and Layout executables out of there and onto your desktop by any chance?

B. Or drag the "Lightwave3D_2015.x" folder itself onto your desktop?

If your answer to A or B is "I did drag it to desktop", then you've likely corrupted your install. You can try dragging whatever back to where it belongs, if that doesn't work, PM me and depending on answers to above, I'll tell you what all needs to happen before reinstalling from scratch.

Having aliases on your desktop to the apps is fine. Dragging the actual apps or the Lightwave folder (holding the apps) to your desktop is a big no-no (on Mac).
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-25-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Where did you install Lightwave 2015? Did you use the default ("/Applications/NewTek/Lightwave3D_2015.x")?

A. You didn't subsequently drag the Modeler and Layout executables out of there and onto your desktop by any chance?

B. Or drag the "Lightwave3D_2015.x" folder itself onto your desktop?

If your answer to A or B is "I did drag it to desktop", then you've likely corrupted your install. You can try dragging whatever back to where it belongs, if that doesn't work, PM me and depending on answers to above, I'll tell you what all needs to happen before reinstalling from scratch.

Having aliases on your desktop to the apps is fine. Dragging the actual apps or the Lightwave folder (holding the apps) to your desktop is a big no-no (on Mac).
    I installed it into a separate folder on my HD, I always have done this.

Hello Everyone,
    I figured out what was going on, I feel like a complete idiot. The issue was right there in my face but didn't see it.
    I reloaded all the plugins but left a few out. LW was looking for the left out plug ins but defaulted to my desktop which is why the
    path kept reverting to the desktop.
    Anyway I am all sorted out.
    Thanks for the time and effort.