Thread: Rigging IK with more than Two bones

Rigging IK with more than Two bones

I've been importing characters via FBX into Layout which works well for FK, but I'd like to add some IK ability. I use the Lightwave Bones rather than Joints as later importing of other poses works predictably.

It's a bit disconcerting seeing all the bones aligned down Z, but it does work largely due to weight mapping. I'm assuming it's due to the way Daz rigs its characters, but there's one extra twist bone in the the legs & two in the arms.

It's trying to work, but all the tut's I've ever come across use a goal & two bones. How do I accommodate those extra bones?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBX Rig.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	407.8 KB 
ID:	148738
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Ik booster isnīt doing it for you, and just using joints?
    Do you absolutely need Lightwave bones, perhaps you want to create your FK manually and not use Ik booster..for some reason?

I'd love too & tried IK Booster this AM but was having issues with those added bones. Largely not being that familiar but have watched the basic tuts several times & it seems straight forward. Will experiment with it more on a more conventional rig to get familiar.

Maybe this thread will spur some discussion specific to this. Or not.

Again having those twist bones isn't really covered in tut's for IK or IK Booster that I've seen, so I'd be asking the same question anyway. The twist bones are actually quite nice; you limit them to H and works nicely & simple for FK. Whether that's agreeable for IK is the question whether that be Native or Booster.

I did an export experiment some time ago comparing the Bones vs. the Joints from the same FBX. Initially it showed promise until I tried importing a base rig only pose. This is something I routinely do & is a very quick way to build up a library of Poses. Unfortunately, RH's Animation Toolbox is one of the things that had a couple aspects broken w/2019, one of them the ability to save off a pose as a txt file. But, the POSE .lws files are tiny so easy to use Load Items from Scene, then just copy the pose to desired frame.

With the Joints imported scene, the model got severely "Picasso-ed", nor was the pose even close to the original so not worth pursuing getting it to work.

If anyone is interested in playing with it, I can easily post the scene if you don't care making your own w/Daz.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Yes, it has extra bones in the leg and arm.

as for twisting, I usually just use the Fk control rotations, click on the red value numbers with left mouse button and drag left and right to twist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ik twist.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	148740

Not sure if it would help..merging bones?
    ..but seems you will be breaking Ik booster if you merge bones?
    Maybe an easy fix, but currently I donīt know how too.

The tools work the same in layout 2019 anyway for merging and splitting, for merging..make sure bones are properly selected and the click on the little rectangle.
    But getting it to work with ik booster after a merge?..dunno.

Edit..yes..apparently, just select all bones and hit "R" to rest them, then the rotation controls works again in IK-Booster.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes, it has extra bones in the leg and arm.

as for twisting, I usually just use the Fk control rotations, click on the red value numbers with left mouse button and drag left and right to twist.

I see your using Joints. Have you ever tried exporting Poses as I mentioned? Most of my figures are Gen8 but can't see that as being majorly different after exported.

But on the Twist bones, you can set them to be FK separately or you just FK adjust when needed??

Which two bones, or are you using two as show in most tuts, to set at the foot end to be Fixed? And are you using Hip or Pelvis at the top end for the IK Stop?

On a side question, have you tested the Bridge from Daz to the "B" software? Just wondering what the FBX's from it into Layout look like; if they're similar to FBX's directly out of Daz?

With my limited testing of that, I'd say the "Bridge" is more akin to one out of an "Indiana Jones" movie. Pretty limited & one way it seems. It will only export biped characters so no camera info, animals or scenery.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I see your using Joints. Have you ever tried exporting Poses as I mentioned? Most of my figures are Gen8 but can't see that as being majorly different after exported.

But on the Twist bones, you can set them to be FK separately or you just FK adjust when needed??

Which two bones, or are you using two as show in most tuts, to set at the foot end to be Fixed? And are you using Hip or Pelvis at the top end for the IK Stop?

On a side question, have you tested the Bridge from Daz to the "B" software? Just wondering what the FBX's from it into Layout look like; if they're similar to FBX's directly out of Daz?

With my limited testing of that, I'd say the "Bridge" is more akin to one out of an "Indiana Jones" movie. Pretty limited & one way it seems. It will only export biped characters so no camera info, animals or scenery.
    O Ma3rk
    I havenīt eaten the whole day, just fiddling in 3D, so I need to take my vegatable soup and then really hit the sack, so I have to get back to you on all your questions since I would have to check the scenefiles again.

No I never use anything else than Lightwave joints for the daz figures.

Not sure understanding that question of fk seperately or when needed, but then as I said, I need to sleep and think about it, if you select thightwist bone with right mouse in IK booster, you can right click and that will give you an option to left mouse check FK control, it will lock the round ghost handle to only act in FK mode, do the same procedure to uncheck it and the round ghost control will be IK if you move it on the round ghost handle, however..that checking will not affect the number sliders, as soon as you click on those, it will be FK control no matter what.

Have to get back to you later on the hip, pelveis and foot bones.

No still have to try the Daz to B bridge.
    Goodnight for me ..eh, for you I donīt know?...then again, itīs early morning over here in Sweden, that should tell you that I am on the wrong day rythm..Itīs completly screwed up, worse than any bone deformation

Had it not been for that I decided to rest any upgrade now with lightwave, I may have purchased Ryan Royes IK booster tute, seems nice..and heīs awesome in narrating.
    Maybe later anyway, will try and figure out much for myself also.

For all the head bones, you could select all of those in viewport, go to scene editor, right click and choose selection and highlight viewport selected, then make them unseen in scene editor, it will start to take effect as soon as you select something else.
    then you could pick within the scene editor the main important head bones and make them visible again, that would make it easier to work with perhaps.