Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Can I do this in LW?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297

    Can I do this in LW?

    I recently watched a tutorial how in blender you can merge alembic cache.
    You can open an Alembic file of a model that has all the uv text (non animated) and then open an animated alembic file, merge the cache with the static file and have the static file now animated with all the uv textures.
    Is there a way I can do this in LW?
    Last edited by genesis1; 09-22-2020 at 12:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    I recently watched a tutorial how in blender you can merge alembic cache.
    You can open an Alembic file of a model that has all the uv text (non animated) and then open an animated alembic file, merge the cache with the static file and have the static file now animated with all the uv textures.
    Is there a way I can do this in LW?
    Hi,
    I could not look into this right now, but what should work is copying the Motion Modifier (AlembicMotionContoller) from one model to an other (you find it under Motion Options for the object - keyboard shortcut "m").

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297
    OK I will give that a go, thanks.

  4. #4
    Hi,
    I looked into it. The faster way is:
    use Import Mode "Merge" in Alembic Loader. This will add the motion modifier or mdd reader to identical items in the scene automatically.

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297
    Great, I must have missed that. That's a great help, will give that a go soon as I'm back at my pc. Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297
    I tried that... For some reason it didn't work. Maybe I missed something.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    I tried that... For some reason it didn't work. Maybe I missed something.
    Is it the same geometrie? Has it the same name?

    What kind of animation do you have? Only move, rotate and scale or some deformations (bones, morphs...)?
    For classic animations LW uses the Motion Modifier (this should work with any item). For deformations it uses a MDD Reader (which only works with the same geometrie).

    I did a quick test and it worked.

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297
    Will it work if the original file is an object or an fbx? Will the alembic merge with that? I obviously have something wrong somewhere.
    I will try again and make the objects have the same name.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    Will it work if the original file is an object or an fbx? Will the alembic merge with that? I obviously have something wrong somewhere.
    I will try again and make the objects have the same name.
    I did a test with an alembic export from blender with an obj and it worked. The object in LW was a lwo, the object in Blender was an obj. The objects must have the same name (and geometrie if you use deformations).

    However, if it did not merge correctly you can copy the modifier or/and mdd reader manually to your object.

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Leitner View Post
    I did a test with an alembic export from blender with an obj and it worked. The object in LW was a lwo, the object in Blender was an obj. The objects must have the same name (and geometrie if you use deformations).

    However, if it did not merge correctly you can copy the modifier or/and mdd reader manually to your object.

    ciao
    Thomas
    When I click on merge in Alembic, the alembic file appears over the top of the object and doesn't transfer the animation to the static object. How do I copy the mdd over?
    Basically all I want is to have the static object with all uv maps to use the alembic animation. I will keep trying.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    When I click on merge in Alembic, the alembic file appears over the top of the object and doesn't transfer the animation to the static object. How do I copy the mdd over?
    Basically all I want is to have the static object with all uv maps to use the alembic animation. I will keep trying.
    In my experience, it happens when the names are not the same.
    The alembic object should have a motion modifier called AlembicMotionContoller in the Motion Options (keyboard shortcut "m"). Right click and choose "copy". Then open the Motion Options for your new object and right click and "paste".

    The mdd reader is located in the Object Propertise (keyboard shortcut "p") under the first tab (Primitive) in the list of modifiers (MD_Reader). You can copy and paste it the same way as the motion modifier.

    Depending on the animation, an object can have both modifier.



    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297
    OK, made sure both names were the same. Tried merge alembic. Still nothing. Tried copy and paste motion controller and still nothing, but copying mdd works.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    OK, made sure both names were the same. Tried merge alembic. Still nothing....
    When I checked the objects name in Scene Editor I realized that (in my case) Blender added "_obj" to the name of the imported obj file. So I had to rename my lwo too.

    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    ...Tried copy and paste motion controller and still nothing, but copying mdd works.
    This is a very strange behavior. Does the imported alembic object animate correct? I also tried to copy and paste the motion modifier over to other scene items (cameras and lights) and it worked too.
    It's hard to find the problem from a distance.

    If the alembic object has the correct animation in LW: as a workaround you could parent the lwo to the alembic object and it should move the same.

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    297
    Yes, I'm at a loss to why the merge Alembic doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is the alembic file is from another software. It animates fine in lightwave but will not seem to merge with its original static model.
    I'm exporting an animated clothing model from Marvelous designer into LW via alembic. As we all know, Alembic only exports one uv map so you end up losing all the uv's from the original. So I've been exporting a static uv'd object from MD to LW with all uv intact. Then importing the animated Alembic file hoping I could merge with the
    Static model and animate it complete with Uv's.
    This would save a lot of time as at the moment I'm having to take the alembic file into modeler and rename all the parts of clothing again to add all the textures.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    Yes, I'm at a loss to why the merge Alembic doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is the alembic file is from another software. It animates fine in lightwave but will not seem to merge with its original static model.
    I'm exporting an animated clothing model from Marvelous designer into LW via alembic. As we all know, Alembic only exports one uv map so you end up losing all the uv's from the original. So I've been exporting a static uv'd object from MD to LW with all uv intact. Then importing the animated Alembic file hoping I could merge with the
    Static model and animate it complete with Uv's.
    This would save a lot of time as at the moment I'm having to take the alembic file into modeler and rename all the parts of clothing again to add all the textures.
    I did a quick test with Marvelous designer and it worked too.
    What I did:
    I exported a short animation (garment and avatar) from MD with alemic (HDF5).
    I exported the garment as obj from MD.
    I imported the obj in Modeler and created a new UVmap and a new surface.
    I saved it as lwo (I called it "cloth_parent" because MD uses this naming too)
    I loaded the lwo into Layout.
    I imported the alembic file with set to merge.
    Done.
    The Importer only added the elements of the avatar to the scene and used the already existing garment (lwo).

    I noticed that MD only uses the MDD when exporting the animation of the garment. The Motion Modifier does not contain any animation (what is ok).

    No idea what is causing your problem.

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •