Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSD query ...

Can I ask a stupid question? Well, wait, I know the answer to that, so the real question is, can someone answer a stupid question and save me a bit of time? Is Howler able to export PSDs? And, if it can, does it retain text layers as editable, or are they always rasterized on export?

(I've looked at a few (non-Adobe) apps with PSD support, and most do rasterize the text, which is not ideal.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    ... (I've looked at a few (non-Adobe) apps with PSD support, and most do rasterize the text, which is not ideal.)
    Have you looked at / tried PhotoLine? The UI / icons are a bit 'special' but the application itself is very capable for both bitmap and vector style graphics. However I don't know if it fits your requirements.

If you upload an example file I can try in Affinity, Paintshop Pro, Howler and PhotoLine.

I was actually asking for someone else, should have worded that differently - but to answer your question: As far as far as I know Affinity, Gimp, Paint.NET and Photopea were tested, and I'm told the only one that did not rasterize an exported text layer was Photopea. The test involved exporting a layered PSD from the app and a) importing back it into the same tool, and also b) importing into Photoshop.

So no - as far as I know, I don't think Photoline was included in the test. Since the object is to find apps that can successfully export without raterizing, I think you can probably just create a simple layered image locally? (The only tool I have access to here at gime that exports PSDs also rasterizes the layers, so ...)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have an older version of Howler on an unreachable computer at this moment. I do not think it would offer live text in PSD.

Is there an explanation of this workflow...such as why would you not use Photoshop if you need a Photoshop feature? Unwanted subscriptions are understood, but there are plenty of options to use older, perpetual licenses.

Live text is not perfect, even among Adobe apps. I still use CS6 so I do not know if this has improved with CC: If you want the best text to come from Photoshop, you'd export a PDF to place in InDesign. That workflow maintains vector type. Otherwise, the text within a placed PSD file in InDesign becomes rasterized.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Is there an explanation of this workflow...such as why would you not use Photoshop if you need a Photoshop feature?
    The short, politically correct answer is that it's a useful feature of PSDs and not everyone has (or wants) the Adobe apps. As I said, Photopea does support editable text layers in PSDs, so it's possible. I'm just trying to see if there are other alternatives.

p.s., i'm going to move this topic, as I feel bad horning in on Dan's announcement (I thought it might provide one more reason to buy Howler, but this is getting OT).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

You might also experiment with live text in TIFF format. Photoshop will save a live text layer in TIFF. Other apps may do the same.

You can also save clipping paths in JPG files.

These are all possibilities in Photoshop, even if there's little to no support in reading these features elsewhere. Some are features of the image format; some are hacks that Photoshop has done to the format.

The reason why I asked about the workflow is because live text in PSD has always been a reckless concept, as the actual font file is not embedded. This is why most PSD writers/readers make use of the rasterized layer (aka "maximum compatibility" PSD format).
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    This is why most PSD writers/readers make use of the rasterized layer (aka "maximum compatibility" PSD format).
    Understood. You may not know this, but TriCaster will load PSDs, convert them to our internal .cgxml format (which retains layers)), and allow you to edit the text. So curious to find other 'authoring' apps that would work for those outside the Adobe circle. So far, just the one ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Understood. You may not know this, but TriCaster will load PSDs, convert them to our internal .cgxml format (which retains layers)), and allow you to edit the text. So curious to find other 'authoring' apps that would work for those outside the Adobe circle. So far, just the one ...
    And to add to the exclusion & conclusion, Krita doesn´t allow for it either as far as I know of..but I guess you may have checked that already.

Thanks to all who have responded so far.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

i think PhotoLine does
    https://www.pl32.com
    (around $70)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    i think PhotoLine does
    https://www.pl32.com
    (around $70)
    PhotoLine has quite nice PSD import which will keep the text layers as well as keep bitmap versions as a backup, but its PSD export is quite limited.

In short, it will not export a PSD that retains text.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Affinity Photo does allow you to keep your text layers, but you have to activate it in the options. (Edit->Preference->General-> Activate Import PSD text rather than bitmap)

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    Affinity Photo does allow you to keep your text layers, but you have to activate it in the options. (Edit->Preference->General-> Activate Import PSD text rather than bitmap)
    And does it similarly support export with editable text?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

As for export )didn't read that), I'm checking hold on a second

nope you are right it rasterizes it on export same goes for psp by teh way...

what hepled me, before I got photoshop, was to use pselements in combination with gimp / psp in the past, but pse got dumbed down a little
    during the new versions, so I'm not sure how good the actual version is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast