Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSD query ...

Thanks, looking for something a little less convoluted. Again, Photopea apparently works, but an online solution isn't ideal.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'm not understanding the avoidance of Photoshop, unless you're working on Mac and cannot run the older, perpetually-licensed version.

Photoshop CS2 is free.

https://www.cnet.com/news/adobe-rele...te-2-for-free/

Yes, Adobe's intent was to serve existing customers when they killed their activation servers. However, Adobe does not restrict the software from previously unlicensed users and made no statement that it is for the exclusive use of licensed customers.

CS2 is cute and clunky by today's standards but it still holds up, even in Linux with Wine.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The links in that article no longer work, they go to an Adobe page saying CS2 installers are no longer available, and a 404 on the "SmartDeals" one.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    The links in that article no longer work, they go to an Adobe page saying CS2 installers are no longer available, and a 404 on the "SmartDeals" one.
    I'm sure there's some sort of an internet search utility that can assist, possibly even an archive.org type site. The link I posted was just to a respected news source (to avoid any suspicion that Adobe never let CS2 out of the corral). You can find success from other publishers, like this Ziff-Davis site: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3...oshop-cs2.html

Why not ask Dan Ritchie if he can incorporate this possibility into Howler?

Quote Originally Posted by Areyos Alektor View Post
    Why not ask Dan Ritchie if he can incorporate this possibility into Howler?
    He was aware of it and answered in another thread, and judging by the comment..he didnīt include that it could be possible or easy to implement, so My guess itīs not easy and that he will not..but Iīm just guessing, otherwise I think he would have stated that maybe in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    Quick answer. No, no photoshop style layers or psd support. We're more of a vfx tool in a paint program.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm sure there's some sort of an internet search utility that can assist, possibly even an archive.org type site. The link I posted was just to a respected news source (to avoid any suspicion that Adobe never let CS2 out of the corral). You can find success from other publishers, like this Ziff-Davis site: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3...oshop-cs2.html
    Thanks. I'm told, though, that "You can no longer reinstall Creative Suite 2 or 3 even if you have the original installation disks. The aging activation servers for those apps had to be retired."
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Thanks. I'm told, though, that "You can no longer reinstall Creative Suite 2 or 3 even if you have the original installation disks. The aging activation servers for those apps had to be retired."
    The techspot link includes the registration number which does not require it to be activated. Adobe provided CS1 and CS2 users with that option back when the activation servers were shut down. That version will work indefinitely (as long as the OS supports it).
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Well, you're correct. I think it may be that this provision was made for existing, licensed users; possibly they don't care too much, though maybe not something I could recommend to anyone ... but you're right that it's still functional.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

(Very) old commercial software versions often reside in a grey area. But from a purely legal point of view that CS2 version can only be installed and used by license holder of CS and CS2, of course. Even if Adobe doesn't care.

What is surprising is that the link on Techspot actually links to the Adobe file servers. You'd think they would have removed PS CS2 by now, because the one for InDesign CS2 no longer works (even via Techspot).
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Just to confirm, Photoshop will not retain the text exported from Paintshop Pro 2021 Ultimate.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Thanks, looking for something a little less convoluted. Again, Photopea apparently works, but an online solution isn't ideal.
    I haven't seen Affinity Photo mentioned. I believe they added more PSD functionality in a recent update. Still only $49 and they've a free trial.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Thanks, but please see posts 12-15.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    ...from a purely legal point of view that CS2 version can only be installed and used by license holder of CS and CS2, of course...
    I am the last person who would ever share/promote unlicensed software, so I did not propose the idea here casually. If you look at the official statement ( https://web.archive.org/web/20130109...n-servers.html ) and directions issued by Adobe at the time, anybody who created an Adobe ID was entitled to download CS2, no purchase necessary. Upon the initial release of the activation-free version, there was absolutely no documentation from Adobe that the CS2 activation-free version was exclusively limited to existing users. (You'd have to wait until January 7, 2013 to know otherwise. )

Note that the CS1 activation servers were also shut down and CS2 was freely offered to those users, even though they never paid for CS2.

The problem was that not only were the activation servers disabled, Adobe also lost track of who was actually licensed for CS2. They sorted this problem out when they later issued the activation-free version of CS3, which required legitimate customers to enter their existing serial number to obtain the new activation-free code and installers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    ...What is surprising is that the link on Techspot actually links to the Adobe file servers...
    I'm seeing it coming from https://files03.tchspt.com

Adobe also lost track of who was actually licensed for CS2
    ok, I can't help but smile.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast