Thread: MacBook issues sending Keynote with video backgrounds

MacBook issues sending Keynote with video backgrounds

Hi,
    We have an all-mac system. We've been using it OK for 6 months now.

I have, however had to be creative in sending a keynote from a macbook pro 2012 to the network, yes it's old but we tried the same file with a newer macbook and still things didn't work quite right.

We've been using VmixDesktop capture of Display 2 over the network without problems for our iMacs and MacMini since showing screen 2 of a MacBook Pro via NDI scan converter seems impossible since to select Keynote screen 2, Keynote screen 2 needs to be activated and if it's activated then keynote blocks us from going into NDI scan converter and selecting the feed to be sent or making any changes to the quality of the feed.

When we tried a macbook with VmixDesktop capture of a file with a video background we did have output BUT:

1) The slide shown via HDMI and the slide shown via NDI were not always the same and sometimes took forever to catch up
    2) The background video stuttered, it wasn't nice and smooth as it should be.

I have been doing tests with a different laptop mac that doesn't have much RAM at the moment. Even if I remove the background video from the Keynote file and play just the background video using QuickTime player, it plays properly, waits a bit and then plays again, it's never a smooth feed, whereas playing something on YouTube and showing it over NDI seems to work without any problems, proving that the NDI feed can work.

So although I do have a workaround solution, sending the feed via HDMI into our video switcher and using the feed from the video switcher as the NDI source which then outputs video that is very smooth. I'd really like to understand what the problem is.

I've tried manual ethernet configuration on the 2 tests macbooks, setting it to Jumbo but I don't know what else to try.

The NDI signal taken from the video converter via a BirdDog mini works just fine, so it doesn't look like the problem is the network.

Does anyone have any ideas or point me in the direction of other tests to do to try to work this out?

Many Thanks!

I've not found any of the software NDI Scan Converter applications to offer completely smooth screen share like you get on the Window side with NDI Scan Converter software. I'm not sure the reason, but I don't think that the Mac OS makes this easy to do.

Using an external converter is going the be the best option for animation or video on the Mac desktop.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi,

Thanks, but as I stated. We have an all mac system. We CAN send videos and screen captures using vMix desktop capture from a macMini to an iMac or between iMacs, so using Mac OSX. It it possible. It has been working for us for 6 months. My question is specifically about why a macbook would be having a hard time with this. I know mac OS can do it, we've been doing it for 6 months. I know even the old macbook that I've been using for testing purposes with only 2 GB of RAM can send a video via NDI.

I'm not asking whether or not I should be using macs for NDI at all. That is a moot point. We have macs so that's what we're using. I'm not asking if Macs can do NDI. I've been doing NDI with Macs for months and I'm very happy with what we've managed to do.

I'm simply asking if there is some setting in a macbook that I need to change or if there is a particular tech spec for RAM or graphics card that is required.

Perhaps it does to do with the graphics, I'll admit my testing on Mac has been limited. I have a MacBook Pro 2010 model. I've never been able to get smooth desktop capture with any of the tools. I don't have other Macs to test with.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.