Thread: scrolling the timeline with a background image sequence freezes Lightwave 2020+

scrolling the timeline with a background image sequence freezes Lightwave 2020+

Well, as the title says, I loaded a jpg sequence in lw, and I used It in the Layout backdrop/background image (compositing tab)
    When I try to scroll Lightwave timeline, even 1 frame, Layout freezes for good.
    image resolution is 2720x1530 and there are 1200 frames.
    My PC is a threadripprer 2990 k and I've got 32 Go ram.
    I reproduced this problem with my other pc, similar specs but Intel 7 6 cores-12threads.
    Loading the sequence alone in an empty scene does work though.
    Task manager shows that LW uses 2680 Mo only.
    All files are local, nothing on the server (I eliminated that possibility)
    Anyone else?
    Any idea?

Thank you

Just to be certain I understand what's happening:

1. When you say "jpg sequence" do you mean a set of separate jpg files (with sequence numbers) in a directory?

2A. How precisely did you load them?
    2B. How precisely did you assign to backdrop/background?

4. After assignment, did you just try to scroll timeline and/or click on frame 1, or...?

Happy to try and verify issue, just need a few more details. If I cannot reproduce with another jpg sequence, I might eventually need the same sequence as well, but would prefer to first try with an "arbitrary jpg sequence" (as it would indicate more reliable repro).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

So, yes, jpg sequence in a specific folder, numbered from 0000to1215. They work outside of my scene, in a new and empty scene.
    I load in the image editor one image, then change the still option to sequence. All the other settings on default. Then I go to the backdrop menu, click on the compositing tab and pick my image / sequence here.
    I've done that so many time, There is something fishy now.
    I could try with another format (like PNG) and see if the problem is with the jpg sequence... (format)
    I tried both moving the time slider and moving one frame forward, both freeze LW.
    Last edited by marchermitte; 09-17-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marchermitte View Post
    So, yes, jpg sequence in a specific folder, numbered from 0000to1215. They work outside of my scene, in a new and empty scene.
    I load in the image editor one image, then change the still option to sequence. All the other settings on default. Then I go to the backdrop menu, click on the compositing tab and pick my image / sequence here.
    I could try with another format (like PNG) and see if the problem is with the jpg sequence... (format)
    I tried both moving the time slider and moving one frame forward, both freeze LW.
    I am on win7. Works OK for me in 2020.0.2. I have loaded jpeg sequence as you described and then play.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sequence.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	148714

TrueArt Support
    Are you using DPKit Image Maps node?

We had a long chat with Denis about problem in this node yesterday.

Anybody using this node must download version from at least 09/17/20.
    https://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/p...l_Nodes_2.html
    Older versions have serious memory leakage during scrubbing timeline.
    Pressing play on my system, with 7 Image Map nodes, with 1k x 1k, caused lost of the entire system memory after playing a few hundred frames.

Make additional folder, move 1990 frames to it.
    Does it freeze too?

Make duplicate of all frames, resize the all in batch operation to 50%.
    Does it freeze too?

Repeat resizing and observe what happens (i.e. is it working better when smaller resolution is used instead)?
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-18-2020 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Are you using DPKit Image Maps node?
    ...Older versions have serious memory leakage during scrubbing timeline.
    Also for common image mapping, I don't recommend it, use native Image node,
    as said in the doc it is for specific usage, may improved one day.

Denis.

Unless there was under the hood work that we're completely unaware of, the issue has to do with the environment light change. It required querying the UI, but it does its checks unintelligently therefor if your playback frames per second dips below ~7, you will effectively crash Lightwave if you hit the play button.

Not really sure why this change was pushed past beta.

If you're feeling adventurous you can replicate the issue by performing the following steps:

- Create Sphere
    - Toggle subpatch
    - Set subpatch to ~35
    - Add bone to sphere and rest it
    - open bone properties or an options panel
    - hit play

This is a real showstopper for people who use the node editor for animation unfortunately, it will force them to use the previous version of LW.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 09-18-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    If you're feeling adventurous you can replicate the issue by performing the following steps:

- Create Sphere
    - Toggle subpatch
    - Set subpatch to ~35
    - Add bone to sphere and rest it
    - open bone properties or an options panel
    - hit play
    I don't have crash.. tried even sub-patch 50..

I have lock (not crash), 50% of cpu used, when I will:
    - activate bone (you forgot to mention?)
    - in Global Options change Bound Box Threshold from default 40000 to something higher like 4 mln
    With subpatch 50, I have 1.32 mln polygons in the sphere. I set 1.3 mln threshold, and still have no deadlock (sphere turns to bounding box).
    After exceeding 1.32, there is deadlock.

So, it is important what you also have in Preferences > Display, Dynamic Update, and Bounding Box Threshold..
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-18-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Just tried this exact scenario with a 60 frame jpg image sequence both as compositing background image, and as image_world background, and neither caused any crash here when moving timeline (was able to move to multiple different frames in the sequence). Thus far, cannot reproduce.

Is there anything non-default besides sequence in how you set up the image in the image editor panel?
    John W.

Well, as the title says, I loaded a jpg sequence in lw, and I used It in the Layout backdrop/background image (compositing tab)
    When I try to scroll Lightwave timeline, even 1 frame, Layout freezes for good.
    My PC is a threadripprer 2990 k and I've got 32 Go ram.
    I reproduced this problem with my other pc, similar specs but Intel 7 6 cores-12threads.
    Loading the sequence alone in an empty scene does work though.
    Task manager shows that LW uses 2680 Mo only.
    All files are local, nothing on the server (I eliminated that possibility)
    Anyone else?
    Any idea?

Thank you
    Hey marchermitte,

Just out of curiosity, what is your Viewport setting at? Does it still freeze if your in Wireframe? That doesn't affect how the BG sequence looks, but I've noticed that have an effect with other scenes.

I tested with a 300 frame png sequence w/o any issue, but didn't load any geom. either.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

I don't have crash.. tried even sub-patch 50..
    Did you keep bone properties open when you hit play, or some other editor?
    John W.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Did you keep bone properties open when you hit play, or some other editor?
    Yes. Bone properties and prefs were open. Object turned to bounding box and all was fine.
    Therefore I forced it to not turn to bounding box, which ended up with deadlock.

Yes. Bone properties and prefs were open. Object turned to bounding box and all was fine.
    Therefore I forced it to not turn to bounding box, which ended up with deadlock.
    Ok, so you did encounter it. Few will want to animate solely using bounding boxes, so it's an issue.
    John W.