Thread: LW 2020. 02 fiber fx bug

LW 2020. 02 fiber fx bug

Anyone else get this?
    In modeler, open fiber fx. Fiber fx pops up with no image in its window of your mesh. It will then crash LW with a critical error dialogue or just crash with nothing.
    I tried the same head mesh for use with fiber fx with an earlier version of LW 2019 modeler and it worked fine.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I already have, just wanted to see if anyone else had the same thing or it was something just happening to me.

Seems to work here just fine.
    Curtis Rhoads

Desktop: Win10 x64 | Ryzen 7 3.7GHz | 32GB RAM | GeForce GTX970/GeForce GTX1660
    Laptop: Win10 x64 | i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GT650M

I found it works on a basic shape, but if I make a Sphere and roughly shape it into a head shape it then crashes modeler when I open fiber fx. I've reported the bug and waiting for reply now. See if this shape crashes your own fiber fx. It will work fine in 2019 but crashes in 2020 for some reason.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok, I got it to crash, and I submitted another bug report.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Ok, I got it to crash, and I submitted another bug report.
    Thanks.

Works for me, sort of. First it is nothing, then I have created a box and it’s OK, after that your model is displayed correctly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fiber01.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	473.4 KB 
ID:	148735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fiber02.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	148736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fiber03.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	570.8 KB 
ID:	148737

That's still a bug then, as you shouldn't have to create a box first to make the other model work. I've not heard anymore back from Newtek support on the issue yet. I've found fiber fx in layout to be the most stable ever since they fixed a bug I reported in 2020 and 2020. 02 runs very well. But this simple bug in modeler means I have to use 2019 modeler at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    That's still a bug then, as you shouldn't have to create a box first to make the other model work.
    Yep, that odd initial behavior likely sends LW "off the rails" too -- not really safe to presume it's "working fine" afterwards. User might be "fine" in most cases, but might also randomly yield some form of subsequent corruption or crash later in the session.

That's a problem with "get it working again properly"-type bug workarounds for software in general: Once an app's gone "off the rails", however innocuous or transient the dysfunction may appear, users have no viable means of confirming the app's internal state is "safe" beyond that point even if it "appears" to be working as expected.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti