Thread: ESXi Windows 10 VM Scan Converter not seen from TC1 or Studio Monitor

ESXi Windows 10 VM Scan Converter not seen from TC1 or Studio Monitor

I installed ESXi over the weekend and created a Windows 10 VM with VMware tools installed.

I have NDI 4.1 tools installed and Virtual Input is working, but I can't get Scan Converter to be see outside the VM.

All systems are on a single VLAN Cisco Switch with the same 192.168.0.yyy IP address range.

I currently don't have a passthru GPX, waiting for a Tesla T4 arriving on Monday. I don't think the lack of a GPU is the issue as I was able see the VM Scan Converter from the TC1 on Sunday.
    Not sure what could have changed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Last edited by rlsafran; 09-17-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

TriCaster: 460 AE
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText
    Cameras: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

NDI Scan Converter runs in the GPU. Typically emulated graphics don't offer what is needed for NDI Scan Converter to work. You might try a different scan conversation tool that runs all in CPU to see if that make any difference. (OBS with NDI plug-in or the vMix desktop capture tool).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Scan Converter was immediately crashing in the VMware Windows 10 VM after starting it up.
    It's working perfectly in Citrix XenServer 7.0 trial version on the same server (no vGPU).

Scan Converter and Virtual Input don't seem to need much GPU but Zoom pegs a 6 core i7 CPU. Looking to get a dual Xeon to go with the Nvidia T4.

Do you know if NDI tools run on Xeon's?

Thanks Kane,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText

NDI should run on any x86 compatible CPU with the SSSE3 instruction set. AVX and AVX2 instruction sets are recommended, for best performance.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane. I checked the web and it looks like all 2015+ Xeon's support all the requirements you mentioned.

Community: Can you post a quick reply or pm me if you're running NDI Tools 4.x on a Xeon server. I'd especially like to connect with anyone running NDI Tools in a virtual environment. Please include the server type and CPU you're using.
    I hope to have Nvidia vGPU setup and running tomorrow. I have the vGPU license server setup and am waiting for Citrix to grant me a 8.2 hypervisor premium trial license. Otherwise, I'll switch back to the VMware trial to checkout my new Tesla T4.

Thanks all,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText