Thread: TC1 Video Delay

TC1 Video Delay

Right now, I am running my TC-1 and NC-1 out to a studio audience with TV's. I noticed that there is an 8 frame delay to my TVs.

Anyway to shorten this?

TC1 might be contributing about 25% of that (there are posts here discussing how to test TC's own latency). Latency can accrue in a lot of places in the signal chain. The display devices themselves can be one of the larger issues, but basically any place along the way where the signal is being processed (including in camera things like stabilization).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

What is the native resolution of the TV? You want to send that resolution to the set for lowest latency. Some TVs have a 'game' mode, turn that on if it has it (or turn off all other processing).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Same Problem here.
    But the Newtek-Manual says, the TC1-Delay is a Feature... ��.
    I use a TC1 for live-production, but I have experienced, that other switchers have less delay(1 frame) and therefore better for live-video/IMAG.

It could be the NDI-conversation.

You can use Genlook to shorten the delay and as @kanep says, deactivate everything in the camera that manipulate the image.

The delay feature is to fix video/audio sync for external sources that are arriving out of sync or sync faster sources with slower sources. Unless you need to, you should leave these all at zero.

The TriCaster itself has a delay (all switchers do). If you genlock you cameras, you can turn off the frame sync option and that should get the TriCaster internal processing down to 1 to 2 frames.

NDI will depend on the device. You are talking NDI or NDI-HX? NDI is software or NDI in hardware? A hardware high bandwidth NDI interface (like NewTek Spark Plus, BirdDog, Magewell or Kiloview) should have similar latency to that of an SDI signal. NDI in software will probably add an extra frame and NDI-HX will be a bit more than that.

As Steve mentions, if you are seeing 8 frames, I would guess that a majority of it is happening outside the TriCaster. In the camera or in the output device. What is the device chain? Be aware that every digital device in the chain will add to the latency (it is impossible for any digital device to have a latency of zero).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I have a ticket open with support. I have previously measured the TC-1 at 1.5 frames with genlock and frame sync off but I am getting 4 frames at 1080p60 currently. Just looping Program out from mix 1 back into inpu1 and putting that on preview with a video in the DDR with timecode.