Thread: Pros and Cons of Premium Access Live Graphics vs NewBlueFX Titler Live Broadcast

Pros and Cons of Premium Access Live Graphics vs NewBlueFX Titler Live Broadcast

I'm looking to purchase either Premium Access (PA) or NewBlueFX (NB) live broadcast and hope that someone could respond with which one they chose and why.

We only do remote virtual events from our control room and don't need any of the other Premium Access features. We have some After Effects experience but want the most seamless graphics solution. I've not been able to try Live Graphics but have seen the demo videos and understand that the graphics run in TC buffers and support preset layers for non-animated graphics. We're primarily interested in animated graphics which I can run in TC buffers as well. NB broadcast requires an input for each graphic so there is that downside.

I don't mind having to run NB live broadcast on a separate computer and being able to control them through TC macros is a real plus, as well as, being able to access the NB broadcast graphics from multiple TriCasters.

The only additional capability of PA that I'd be interested in would be the extra recording capability, that I'm trying to get more information about. It must use a different codec to get more than two recordings per disk.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

TriCaster: 460 AE
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText
    Cameras: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

I think that LiveGraphic and NewBlue overall give you similar type output, animated titles. Certainly there a fine points on things that each solution can do, but if you know After Effects, that is a big help because you know the tool to 'build' new titles, versus having to learn a new tool.

The 'unlimited' recording uses the native recording feature. If you are running Rev 7-1 or higher software, the recording format is the same. Do be aware that unlimited recording will not increase the speed of the network interfaces or hard drives in the system. You have the 'ability' to record more, but that doesn't mean the a system 'will' record more unless you put extra storage on it. You still should follow the rules of 2 recordings per spinning disk. You can use USB3 or network storage as additional locations to record more media.

Here is a chart, that shows compatibility of the native NDI media in many major applications.
    NewTek NDI Recording Formats.pdf
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane!
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

TriCaster: 460 AE
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText
    Cameras: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

Im running NewBlue Titler Live Broadcast in our buildout if you have any specific questions.

I opted for NewBlue because we wanted a dedicated GFX position in our production buildout. To be honest, it was one of the first ones that came up when I was researching and we were under a time crunch. Ill say, it is pretty good, but lacking some features that I hope they add (and I have been pestering them for it) in the social integration and "crawl" features. I would just recommend you have a beefy enough PC unit to run it. We had a local company build out our TC1 unit and they put a low level 1RU computer in our rack unit, and it is somewhat slow running NB. If you had to create a new GFX in the show and render it, it was a tall order. That is one of the first things I am going to swap out.

Functionally though, it works very well with Tricaster. Macros are easy to get a hold of and were great for calling L3 and info bars from our control surface.