Thread: Which nvidia GeForce RTX 30xx series for LightWave?

Which nvidia GeForce RTX 30xx series for LightWave?

After watching the nvidia announcement of the RTX 3070/3080/3090 GPUs, I wonder which one would serve me best.
    I don't play games, no Blender yet (maybe later).
    So mainly LightWave 2020, Resolve 15, Fusion 9, Vegas Pro 17.

For LW, not so much. Unless you use Octane. Then, a whole lot!
    Otherwise, your other software ought to really get a boost with the 30xx series. Crazy cards they are.
    I want the 3090 but may need to build a whole 'nother box for it.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    After watching the nvidia announcement of the RTX 3070/3080/3090 GPUs, I wonder which one would serve me best.
    I don't play games, no Blender yet (maybe later).
    So mainly LightWave 2020, Resolve 15, Fusion 9, Vegas Pro 17.
    Depends what your old card is but if it's from the 20xx or 10xx series there will be almost no difference for LW. Resolve yes to a certain degree, GPU applications and render engines will gain a lot, so for LW a 3070 is more then sufficient, for others well depends how much you want to spend. I'll probably get a 3080 and replace a 2080S or 2070S in one of the machines or swap GPUs. But I will wait for the prices to drop or the availability of 30xxS series. The 3090 will be very expensive I guess.
    Last edited by Marander; 09-15-2020 at 12:36 PM.

3090 will start at $1500 USD and will require approximately 3 free slot spaces in order to fit it into a machine if you plan on getting one that runs with a fan. If you wait for an AIO version it will be the usual 2 slot design, but will require at least a space for a 240mm radiator or 360mm if you go with one of the factory overclocked high end cards. It will require many people to get new PSU due to it's high voltage design. So depending on how old your PSU is and how much equipment is in your system you might need a new one. IIRC it requires a 12pin connector or it comes with a converter to plugin in 3-4 of the GPU type connectors. I recommend you check this PSU calculator to estimate if your PSU can handle it. https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    For LW, not so much. Unless you use Octane. Then, a whole lot!
    Given the rendering "situation" in LW2020 (unless a fix arrives shortly), anyone doing complex-material scenes and/or animation should plan on adding Octane anyway.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-16-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Dunno. I do know that Octane was an 'add' when the Titans came out.
    Since then, GPU rendering is King and Queen for where the rendering world plans to venture.
    I would say CPU rendering is for bigger facilities; gpus are used for their artists to visualize faster.
    In my neck of the woods, gpus are used to visualize faster and to render that vision out faster. A cpu renderer has no place for me at this time.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.