Thread: array tool

array tool

I'm trying to force myself to let go of the old lightwave.

I don't understand the new array tool. I need 18 of the same shape stacked exactly on top of each other with the points merged. In the old lightwave I would have gone to array, set the Y axis count to 18 and the offset to 100 percent. I did that in the new one and I'm getting unpredictable results that are nothing like what I want. In looked around on google and didn't see anythin that made sense to me.

Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...uplicate/array

This may be the challenge: "All offsets are measured from the leftmost point for X; the lowest point for Y and the furthest forward point for Z"
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

I think what's messing me up is that I can only enter an offset value in feet/inches rather than the percentage option that I need. Does that make sense?

I do not recall array working with percentages.

In old LW releases, if I enter "100%" in a field, it switches to "100 m" onchange, just like the current LW2020.

The old Array tool is still in LW21019, with the percentage input options.

I also have diffuculty with the new array tool at times, and will often still use the old one, which I have on keystroke Alt-Y, because a lot of the time for me, it does exactly what I need, quickly and easily.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Chaos View Post
    I'm trying to force myself to let go of the old lightwave.

I don't understand the new array tool. I need 18 of the same shape stacked exactly on top of each other with the points merged. In the old lightwave I would have gone to array, set the Y axis count to 18 and the offset to 100 percent. I did that in the new one and I'm getting unpredictable results that are nothing like what I want. In looked around on google and didn't see anythin that made sense to me.

Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?
    As far as I know, you will have to represent 100% in the form of the unit length used by LW. I.e., if the height of your model is 1.345m then that's the value you would use to repesent 100% in the input field. So you have to know the dimensions of your object to begin with.

I usually go into point mode and select the two furthest opposing points in my desired axis and then go to Detail>Measure>Measure>Measure Points to get my 100% values for the Array tool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I do not recall array working with percentages.

In old LW releases, if I enter "100%" in a field, it switches to "100 m" onchange, just like the current LW2020.
    Same here.

Looking at the documentation and what appears in LW2020, something may be incomplete.

The older array function (which is still hiding in 2020, just edit your menu commands to reveal...thanks kyuzo) has a toggle for automatic/manual offset type. The new array has a non-functional button that only says "automatic". This button does not appear in the animated GIF example of the documentation. This may be a partially finished tool.

I'm only looking at the last build of 2019. Could an earlier release have included the new array tool that appears in 2020? Some version of 2019 produced this complaint: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/160753

It's probably worth filing a feature request or bug report on this newer 2020 tool.

EDIT: yes, there was a change in this tool during the 2019 release. The 2019 documentation shows the new tool but my 2019.1.5 installation only has the old tool. https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...uplicate/array
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 09-14-2020 at 01:46 PM.

The old version I'm talking about is 2015. I never upgraded because of the changes they made to the shaders. By default the value was a percentage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.25.15 PM.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	148687

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.25.52 PM.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	148686

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    The old version I'm talking about is 2015. I never upgraded because of the changes they made to the shaders. By default the value was a percentage.
    Oh yeah, that's right. (God I hate getting old.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Oh yeah, that's right. (God I hate getting old.)
    Look on the bright side, the aging process eventually stops.

Am I hearing that the percentage option no longer exists?

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Look on the bright side, the aging process eventually stops.
    ROTFLMAO. That's a good one.

Am I hearing that the percentage option no longer exists?
    I'm using LW2019 and the offset as a percentage scale value isn't featured in the new array tool (by default anyway). Apparently you can bring back the old array tool though using Kyuzo's advice.

As with everything LW, the feature may make an appearance in later versions. But who knows?

I understand how it works now. Hitting "automatic" sets the value for you and you can adjust from there. I was duplicating the ribs on the seal of a pack of candy. I needed a bunch of them and they weren't any particular dimension. I was having a hissy fit because of a deadline.

Thanks