Thread: Live Story Creator - info for the NewTek team, and also for other end-users

Lightbulb Live Story Creator - info for the NewTek team, and also for other end-users

Edit: Because Steve is awesome, he pointed me to the appendix of the TC1 manual that addresses some of the issues below. Those issues he addressed been removed below.

3. Hitting the stop button twice (by mistake) will immediately reset the script in LSC and take you right back to the top of the show. If you are heavily caffeinated, or just make a stupid fast double click during a show - you're doomed.

5. The gpx recall function "fade GPX1 (graphics name)" does not work. I was unable to unearth the correct command. I could get it to fade to the correct gpx bank, but not recall the specific image. (Sidenote: I can't remember if I had to use GFX or GPX. One works, the other doesn't.)

6. Using "Cut 1" will cut to camera 1 on program. "Fade 1" will fade to camera 1. This works on all inputs - EXCEPT M/Es. If you're on cam 1 and you want to fade to an M/E, using "fade M/E1" will transition sources on the M/E, and not transition from camera 1 TO the M/E.

7. If you don't tell the machine where you want everything loaded, it will automatically put your clips and keys in DSK1. The way to fix is to use "Cut DSK1 (keyname)" or "cut DDR1 (clipname)"

9. Use macros whenever you need the machine to do something complex. This is how I got around the "Fade M/E 1" issue mentioned earlier. I built a macro that preset the m/e, and then dissolved to it. Then I used the "macro name" function in LSC to trigger the transition. There's probably a simple command to go from a source to an M/E on air, but I was not able to discover it.

11. Test, re-test, re-test, and re-test. I spent an entire day testing my script in LSC the day before the show to work out all the kinks and bugs. This also allowed me to make the necessary changes and notes to myself to step in for portions that LSC could not do cleanly.

I WILL continue to use LSC because I now know what to expect and how to work around some things.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 09-14-2020 at 11:34 AM.

I'm sorry I can't stop to spend more time on your post, thanks for the effort. I'm just going to drop in a couple of quick notes that may help.

• Re: "You cannot roll b-roll during your show using LSC" - actually, you can. It's up to you whether playing a clip from the DDR stops the script from continuing to scroll or not. From the list of examples given in the manual::“play lion voiceover”; "play lion vo” – the script continues to scroll during playback.

• Re: "SC does not allow you to skip portions of the script" - my recollection (I'm sorry I can't test this just now) is that the 'segment' heading style (H2) allows you to divide your script up into 'skippable' segments. It's possible I'm misremembering the way this works, but I don't think so.

• Re: "If you use PR4444 animations for your fontbars and bring them in via the DSK, you must also tell the machine to remove the DSK" - Media player commands tend to be more explicit, but there is a set of 'title' commands (examples in the docs) that can briefly show a title and then remove it automatically (without another comment).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I've asked repeatedly for such a document and was told explicitly that no such list exists. I even went as far as re-downloading the Premium Access package and re-installing it in the hopes that some LSC manual would re-appear. It does not. When I pressed NewTek tech support, they sent me this document:

LiveStory Creator Categories and Commands.pdf

There are no commands in that document, despite it being labeled "LiveStory Creator Categories and Commands"

Outside of what is contained in the TC1 manual, is there other documentation?
    Last edited by dhodlick; 09-14-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Outside of what is contained in the TC1 manual, is there other documentation?
    Not that I'm aware of.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I wrote the the 'LiveStory Creator Categories and Commands' document.

What this is a list of what categories of functions you can ask of LiveStory Creator (Audio mixing, COMPS, DataLink, etc). Then below that are the specific things (commands) you can ask of that function.

For example for Audio Mixer, you can command actions to: volume levels, mute, solo, enable/disabled for EQ/Compressor and recalling audio emems.

I guess if you are asking how to specifically say it, there are lots of options since LiveStory allows for natural input. To mute an audio channel for example.

mute [input/output]
    [input/output] mute
    mute [input/output] on
    [input/output] mute on

to unmute would be

unmute [input/output]
    [input/output] unmute
    mute [input/output] off
    [input/output] mute off

Any of the above would work.

Is there more to what you are looking for, I can try to adjust the document.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Edit: Because Steve is awesome, he pointed me to the appendix of the TC1 manual that addresses some of the issues below. Those issues he addressed been removed below.

3. Hitting the stop button twice (by mistake) will immediately reset the script in LSC and take you right back to the top of the show. If you are heavily caffeinated, or just make a stupid fast double click during a show - you're doomed.
    I would have a lot to say, but concerning this point, I agree and already told Newtek that I was a non-sense, or at least very dangerous.

What I did is a macro not with the stop command, but with Playspeed at zero, so even if you hit it twice it would not go back to start.

Actually we developed a kind of gateway, so we can use a real prompter controller, connected over IP and powered with POE. This means we can control the prompter feature from the control room or give it to the talent if he wants to control the promptr by himself, with jog, play, stop etc.