Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave Docs

i'm totally ok with online docs.

works fine.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I am still trying to compile a PDF version. Right now, it's going to weigh in as about as heavy as the LightWave installer itself, it won't have animated gifs, it won't have the example downloads, and it will look ugly. Some pages don't seem to want to export, so I'm wrestling with them too. Oh, and there will be pages and pages of contents in the separate PDFs because trying to export the whole thing as one, with a single, contiguous ToC, is what killed the server.

B
    BeeVee, what about zipping the whole docs and share it. I am thinking about setting up my own Apache only for serving these docs. It is the same thing as a regular http, right? PDF will be ugly, I can see that.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    So, I have a little interest in the topic of docs, generally. I know this has been discussed a bit here at other times, but would love a little snapshot of peoples view's and experiences with online docs as served up in a Wiki, Confluence, or what have you, versus docs in other forms (such as a PDF).
    I'm an analog man in a digital world. That said, I've gotten "more accepting" about online docs. Switching back and forth between an app and its docs is not a big hassle, and I've copied and pasted occasionally from doc to app. Plus, online docs can be updated once for everybody.

Why would it be necessary to generate a PDF version of the LW docs, since it's obviously such tsuris? Wouldn't it be easier to make the zipped HTML files available for download?

again ... why not give offline HTML manuals with all animations/pictures as additional DL trough user accounts so that we all can download/install it separately.(also why not include it with installer itself)
    when pressed f1 lw should check local folder ... //lightwave2020.x/content/manual/ for example and if does not exists than go ONLINE. this way we would be able preserve manuals
    Last edited by mav3rick; 09-11-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Why would it be necessary to generate a PDF version of the LW docs, since it's obviously such tsuris? Wouldn't it be easier to make the zipped HTML files available for download?
    Just for clarity, I wasn't referring particularly to the LW docs, but more generically ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I am generally fine with online documentation. However, as I'm a stone's throw away from '...where the deer and the antelope play...' (very rural US midwest), sometimes the internet isn't available. Which makes online documentation useless and offline documentation handy.

I got a lot of mileage out of the 2015 docs when a lightning strike cratered our ADSL Modem and Router, and was glad to have them. Since I don't know what will happen next (Hurricane(s) hitting Texas? or wherever the data center where Newtek's/Lightwave's stuff is stored), it would be nice to have. As it is, I've been saving HTML locally on commonly used pages as I go. I think that's around 30 pages or so?
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

My wish for offline documentation is because while I mainly work on the Mac version, some plugins, like Deep Rising, are Windows only. For numerous reasons, my Windows installation is never ever connected to the internet.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but making PDF documents at this time after a previous hesitancy - is this linked to the Vizrt announcement in some way ?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    That's actually a vast amount of work. I'm creating PDFs from the wiki. They won't be fantastic, but we're talking about over 3,000 pages of Letter-sized paper.
    Why not convert for an offline wiki doc platform? They exist (f.e. WikidPad, Tomboy, ZimWiki) and would likely make conversion much easier since they're aware of how to parse Wiki-type interconnections. Even a localized MediaWiki install might be easier.

Also might want to look at bulk-scripting via Wikifier RT or this article to see how to extract in Markdown for subsequent import into MediaWiki/WikidPad/etc.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-11-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just for clarity, I wasn't referring particularly to the LW docs, but more generically ...
    More generically, I'd recommend to avoid "canned" platforms like Confluence for external documentation because of their limited export options. Something like MediaWiki which is much more open/generally-accessible seems a better choice if you really need something Wiki-like.

However, with the way EPUB and various "rich" doc formats are evolving, I do believe there's something to be said for separating "docs"/"reference" proper (then use EPUB or equiv with easy offline-variant options) for them, and "tutorial/educational content" like video tutorials and similar more online-focused materials, and putting those into a more PixelFondue/PushingPoints-style online library/presentation site format.

Like it or not, most customers still tend to want their product docs/reference info always available, and ideally, context-sensitive-accessible from within the app. Pretending all types of content and customers have similar use/access requirements is a trap that seems to bite often and hard.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-11-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Sorry if I'm being dense, but making PDF documents at this time after a previous hesitancy - is this linked to the Vizrt announcement in some way ?
    it might or might not be, but never the less, LightWave 2020 is the best release yet, and is still for sale and supported.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

it might or might not be, but never the less, LightWave 2020 is the best release yet, and is still for sale and supported.
    Wow erikals!

Have you not experienced the issues many of us have had with Layout? No real issues with Modeler, but then, they didn't change or update anything with it did they? Pages of things that need to be addressed of course.

On the other hand, I have YET to be able to complete ANY project yet in 2020.x.

The "Run-Away Train" issue when trying to animate? Haven't had that happen to you yet?

The various rendering issues on several threads... Need I go on?

2020.x is COMPLETELY unusable as far as I'm concerned.

I'll consider Lightwave still supported when a usable release is finally made. Until then, jury is indefinitely out.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Well, that is debatable, feature-wise maybe. However, I find modeler to be increasingly unstable, especially crash on exit. Hub is still iffy, sometimes works sometimes not. For me i would say that 2019 was more stable.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

so what is the best to use, for stability and productivity?

No, we're not here for that. I went OT, but at least it was still about docs. This is not a conversation we're going to have here. there are plenty of other places where people have mentioned their favorite alternatives or companion apps.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast