Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave Docs

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Rumor has it that the reason the server is struggling is because someone is exporting a PDF for us. That sounds helpful and also a possible tip of the hand regarding the future.
    Because putting up an "Undergoing maintenance, expected downtime is until xxxx, please come back later!" temp page requires months of planning and execution?

Just another inexcusable mistake in a parsec-long list.

If you make your docs online-only, you make sure they're ALWAYS accessible to customers, or at the very, very least, explain outages. Spinning up a temp AWS instance or such to serve the docs while the main was down would have incurred trivial cost, and taken very little time/effort. Not even serving an outage explanation is atrocious IT handling -- such a mistake would cost someone their job in most companies that actually care about their customers.

And before someone suggests it, IT not being aware of the outage is even LESS excusable. It's trivial to check whether a server is properly responding to web queries every minute or two, and raise alarms if not.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-10-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Just another inexcusable mistake in a parsec-long list.
    Not even serving an outage explanation is atrocious IT handling -- such a mistake would cost someone their job in most companies that actually care about their customers.
    And before someone suggests it, IT not being aware of the outage is even LESS excusable...
    Absolutely. One would think that in a tech related company, IT service management (including change and availability management) are standard processes these days.

When customer exposed services are repeatedly affected (forum down for a long period with data loss, no backup available, online docs not reachable unexpectedly) it seems to me they're not competent in IT related processes and I wonder how they handle information security. I'm not claiming that this is an issue at NewTek but it raises a concern.

I wouldn't want to experience another security debacle as it happened with a certain landscape software company.

Well one can hope these are leftovers from NewTek's IT operations and VizRT handles this better but I'm not overly optimistic.

If their external web services are not reliable, they should offer offline alternatives. You and me know from our other 3D software (even there wasn't any downtime), it's certainly possible to provide (context sensitive!) offline docs in order to provide customer satisfaction.
    Last edited by Marander; 09-11-2020 at 01:10 AM.

Rumor has it that the reason the server is struggling is because someone is exporting a PDF for us. That sounds helpful and also a possible tip of the hand regarding the future.
    was this fiction ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

was this fiction ?
    If real, it makes them look even less competent.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    was this fiction ?
    It was mentioned, in another channel, by someone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    If real, it makes them look even less competent.
    Thank you for explaining that and all other obvious faults.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

ok if i can ASK for one more UPDATE for abandon app , please INLCUDE F1 to call for LOCALLY installed HTML docs instead ONLINE. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Needs a pdf version again
    Amen.

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    I am still trying to compile a PDF version. Right now, it's going to weigh in as about as heavy as the LightWave installer itself, it won't have animated gifs, it won't have the example downloads, and it will look ugly. Some pages don't seem to want to export, so I'm wrestling with them too. Oh, and there will be pages and pages of contents in the separate PDFs because trying to export the whole thing as one, with a single, contiguous ToC, is what killed the server.

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

why not a web snapshot?

personally i’d export to word, then compile to a large word doc, then got from there.

you can pdf from that.

i’d use 7z to compress on ultra then people can download that.

uncompressed it’s a couple gig max
    Last edited by gar26lw; 09-11-2020 at 08:31 AM.

If nothing else, start with the LW2015 PDF already created and then just give us separate "What's New" sections from each latter releases. I'd prefer that over online only. I tried the export to PDF function on the LW12018 What's New docs, and there were many missing elements.

So, I have a little interest in the topic of docs, generally. I know this has been discussed a bit here at other times, but would love a little snapshot of peoples view's and experiences with online docs as served up in a Wiki, Confluence, or what have you, versus docs in other forms (such as a PDF).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    So, I have a little interest in the topic of docs, generally. I know this has been discussed a bit here at other times, but would love a little snapshot of peoples view's and experiences with online docs as served up in a Wiki, Confluence, or what have you, versus docs in other forms (such as a PDF).
    I have to admit to still being happiest with a printed document I can flip through. Online docs can be useful but they take up screen space. I've never got used to flipping between web pages and the software I'm using. I really, really miss printed manuals. Somehow on-screen text goes in one eye and out the other with very little sticking in my memory. Reading the same or similar text on a page in a book for some reason does reach my memory. One of the drawbacks of being old-school, or just plain old, I suspect
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELinder View Post
    If nothing else, start with the LW2015 PDF already created and then just give us separate "What's New" sections from each latter releases. I'd prefer that over online only. I tried the export to PDF function on the LW12018 What's New docs, and there were many missing elements.
    That's actually a vast amount of work. I'm creating PDFs from the wiki. They won't be fantastic, but we're talking about over 3,000 pages of Letter-sized paper.

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Online docs are fine and of course they are current which is always good for keeping up to date. I also like the addition of the samples and tutorials to help.

I must admit i do prefer a paper/electronic format as well. Im often going through the docs on the ipad, PDF is great but i don't always have a connection especially when traveling.

We just need something that can download and if possible update it every so often. Yes, no easy thing to do at all, and makes for big file sizes. However, if there was a choice to have B&W over colour this would help a bit with the sizes.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I suspect that the main motivation for a static PDF file is the fear or understanding (by users and NT employees) that something is dead. Otherwise, living, amendable online docs are typically the best solution for living, amendable software.

I cannot imagine the usefulness of PDF when such great effort has been put into animated GIF demonstrations.

Speaking from some experience, the HTML version of the 2018 docs come to just under 700 MB.

It's clearly too late to mention it now but a free GPL system like Drupal could have been used to generate this documentation, with easier export options. It is no surprise that a commercial, closed system does not make export easy.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast